Rough Hair/Short Hair Breeding

LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Rough Hair/Short Hair Breeding

Post by LyonsFamily »

I read a press release from a foreign kennel club that encouraged interbreeding of the varieties. I know that doesn't really happen in the US, so I was curious...

Assuming the Rough Hair is from parents that are both homozygous rough hair, what would the result be if mixed with a shorthair? I thought Rough Hair was dominant, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please. That would make the entire litter Rough Hair, but each would have the ability to have short hairs if bred to another short hair or Rough hair with a hidden recessive, correct?

Also, how would color be passed on to an eventual short hair? Does the salt and pepper pass on a blue brindle?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Carolinagirl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just got a rough coated Dutch shepherd pup a few days ago and am looking forward to learning more about this great breed! I also have sheep,dexter cattle,two Anatolian shepherd livestock guardian dogs, an Amstaff (who is thrilled to finally have a friend to play with) and two elderly long coated chihuahuas.

Re: Rough Hair/Short Hair Breeding

Post by Carolinagirl »

I saw some pics just the other day of a rough/smooth cross. The hair on them was longer and courser than a smooth, but not at all like a rough hair. I know the reason they are wanting to do it is to improve the angulation in the rough hairs and to bring in some fresh genetics, but it's going to change the temperament in them as well. I am not a fan of the idea at all and I know others in The Netherlands are also not in favor of it. I'll find the photo and post it here.

The color would not change because smooth, rough and long hair Dutchies all come int he same colors as each other. The rough hairs only appear to be salt and pepper but they are not....they are true brindle. When their coats are stripped short, the stripes are very obvious.
Cindy from south Carolina
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
Carolinagirl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just got a rough coated Dutch shepherd pup a few days ago and am looking forward to learning more about this great breed! I also have sheep,dexter cattle,two Anatolian shepherd livestock guardian dogs, an Amstaff (who is thrilled to finally have a friend to play with) and two elderly long coated chihuahuas.

Post by Carolinagirl »

found the photos. These were taken in the Netherlands earlier this month.
rhshcross2.jpg
rhshcross2.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 13069 times
rhshcross1.jpg
rhshcross1.jpg (57.49 KiB) Viewed 13069 times
Cindy from south Carolina
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
HeatherH
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Post by HeatherH »

So cute, Such a good doggy
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I'm really interested in what breeder crossed those dogs and where the source of the picture is from. I've talked to a few FCI breeders that really know genetics, and the rough hair should be completely dominate, not in between like that. That coat looks more like it was just stripped. I did find this really old picture. I'm currently looking for its source to give it proper credit, but judging by this picture, the coat seems to be going the way of many coated breeds and increasing and it is more frequently in the show ring. It looks like the Lakenois and Rough Coats were far less coated before.
rough haired DS.jpg
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA