I'm pretty sure I have a Dutchie....

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Terryw123
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: new dutchie owner looking for info.

I'm pretty sure I have a Dutchie....

Post by Terryw123 »

So I did not want a dog at all but, my wife convinced me to go to a local rescue "just to look" While we were there I was holding strong until I found "Checkers" My 4 year old named him. Right away he picked me and has been my dog ever since. I have a friend in Law enforcement that has a Dutchie but, his is much bigger than mine. I'm not sure if he is a mix or if it is because he was neutered at such a young age. He is a great puppy and by far the best dog I never wanted. I am very excited to keep training him but, he will always be a family dog first and foremost. Do you guys think he is actually a Dutch? If so is he kind of a runt at 9-10 months only weighing 35-40 LBS at most? Will he still grow?

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: I'm pretty sure I have a Dutchie....

Post by Dutchringgirl »

he is super cute ! His head looks a bit boxy in the last picture , but its still hard to tell at that angle. Id say DS with a touch of salt.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Just a note, a dog neutered early will actually be taller and appear bigger than one that isn't. They just lack the muscle tone and filliing out that hormones create. At 9-10 months though, you've still got some growth left and you might expect another 10 lbs or so before the 3rd birthday.

Your dog does look like it has quite a few DS features, but that muzzle does look blocky. I'm going to agree with Lisa on the DS with a touch of salt.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Terryw123
Just Whelped

Post by Terryw123 »

Cool guys thanks. I'm not much of a photographer yet. Here are a couple more attempts with the cell phone. maybe when I get some time I can get some good ones while he is out and about.

johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

looks very ds in the fireplace photo. very cute.
how sure are you of his approximate age?
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Terryw123
Just Whelped

Post by Terryw123 »

Not very sure to be honest but, he has lost all his puppy teeth. It seems like he is still growing everyday. My wife said she remembers him being 4 months when we got him. I for some reason remember 6. So I correct my first age. That puts him between 7-9 months roughly. Here are the picks of when we first got him 3 months ago.

Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

OMG he is just too cute!
Sue (and Sugar)

LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Oh he has the white tipped twinkle toes in the back like Odin! I love those.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

based on your photos when he arrived, I would guess that he will soon be 6mos old, meaning he was around 10 or 11 [ 12?] weeks when you got him. very much a baby still then and ears are up by 4 usually, so my guess is that he is much younger than you thought. had he lost ALL his baby teeth by the time you got him; if so, I would guess I am wrong, but he could have lost all around 4 months.

should be gaining weight very rapidly now - several pounds a week is not unreasonable. so, if he weighs around 45lb at around 6 mos, he is right on target and he may not be the runt you thought he was.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Terryw123
Just Whelped

Post by Terryw123 »

Thanks everyone for the imput and compliments!!!! So based on the rough guess he is younger than what I thought. He must be right around 7 months then. Assumong he is about 40 now, how big do you guys think he will get? What does a average Dutchie like him weigh full grown? Thanks again for all the help!
johninny
Working Dog

Post by johninny »

I would guess he will get to around 65lb
Terryw123
Just Whelped

Post by Terryw123 »

Thanks for the info Johninny!
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mod moved post.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

Where are all these "short snouted" dutchies comming from? There seems to be a rash of them. My girl was about 55lbs at about 6months, since I also can only guesstimate, but she just kept growing and got gigantic, 88lbs now although I think she is actually about 8lbs overweight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTnXXGh78Qs
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

gingerman,

All these "short snouted dutchies" most likely are not Dutch Shepherds.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

icvanstra wrote:gingerman,

All these "short snouted dutchies" most likely are not Dutch Shepherds.
What does that even mean? Are you saying it is unlikely the above dog has a drop of dutch shepherd blood because it's snout is short?
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

Well, there certainly is no "rash", I thought these were new posts, but they had just been moved I guess; your previous statement still makes no sense.
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Gingerman,

It means exactly what I wrote.

Mostly likely they are not Dutch Shepherds.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

gingerman wrote:Well, there certainly is no "rash", I thought these were new posts, but they had just been moved I guess; your previous statement still makes no sense.
I did a bunch of updates to the forum recently and created a new area for people asking about their canines and if they were Dutch Shepherds.

I guess the part of my statement you may not understand is the use of "Dutchie." As none of the canines on this forum are "Dutchies." We have plenty of Dutch Shepherds, some very friendly mixes and the occasional argumentative ones... All are welcome, but in the end the forum is about Dutch Shepherds.

In regards to this particular post. No, I do not think this is a Dutch Shepherd. Too much white on the chest, the head is all wrong and the overall appearance just doesn't look right.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

I picked up the use of the term "Dutchie" from an Australian couple at the dog park when describing ginger, is this not ok? a.k.a "Yorkie"? I accidentally posted on another thread it was meant for here. Ginger, the dog on the left in the second video and Saki have shorter than average snouts to my eyes, according to you it is "unlikely" they have ANY DS in them? that would be an extraordinarily novel approach to canine genetics....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTnXXGh78Qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2TZeXWlJIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPF5iJTXZmk