I'm pretty sure I have a Dutchie....

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Re: I'm pretty sure I have a Dutchie....

Post by gingerman »

an then there is this poor guy....
article-2510505-1987B93F00000578-810_634x476.jpg
article-2510505-1987B93F00000578-810_634x476.jpg (115.09 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Gingerman, If you would like to start a new post asking if the dogs in the videos are DS you may, but lets keep this thread focused on Checkers.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

There is a thread where the term "dutchie" is discussed. I can only speak for myself, but even before reading that thread, I felt like the term sort of watered down the dignity of the breed. Yorkie is fine for a teacup sized lap dog. Dutchie...not so much for these driven, high-intensity, working dogs. But that is just me....I don't like "Rottie" or "Dobie," either. I think that when all of the powerful breeds were getting bad raps because of over breeding, people felt like if they put an "ie" at the end, it somehow made them less menacing.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

OMG, Stacy, i wonder if that is how i came to be called johnnie by my parents!
i like your theory with respect to the dogs.

Gingerman, use search to look for the [ fairly recent months -4 mos ago?] ''Dutchie'' discussion as the word has pre-existing meaning.
Last edited by johninny on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

johninny wrote:OMG, Stacy, i wonder if that is how i came to be called johnnie by my parents!
Hahahaha!!! You kill me!!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

gingerman wrote:I picked up the use of the term "Dutchie" from an Australian couple at the dog park

There is your problem, you frequent dog parks.
ImageImage
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

Thank God you brought this thread back to checkers in my absence dutchringgirl! I must apologize by going so off topic as to discuss the range of physical characteristics of dutch shepherds and how that relates to check...never mind, we've been two tawdry bitches co-mingling with the dogie park proletariat, I'm sure I've been infected with additional philosophical STD's. So what about checkers??
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Gingerman,

Ignoring my last post to you (the 27th) in another thread is not helping your "cause." You've received more than enough polite warnings to show respect and keep your passive-aggressive jabs and sarcasm to yourself.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

gingerman wrote:I aplogize by going so off topic
Thank you, accepted.
ImageImage
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

Forgive me, I was trying to respond to sarcastic comments with a joke..I mean, kick me off If you want but our jousting seems to be one of the few things keeping these threads going, what about checkers??
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

gingerman wrote:our jousting seems to be one of the few things keeping these threads going,
Not true. There are several active friendly threads going on.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Stacy_R wrote:Not true. There are several active friendly threads going on.
True story. Even outside "Is My Canine A Dutch Shepherd?" :D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

Stacy_R wrote:
gingerman wrote:our jousting seems to be one of the few things keeping these threads going,
Not true. There are several active friendly threads going on.

It's the threads where determination of a canine's dutch shepherd qualities is actually being discussed are the threads I was referring to, and there seems to reside little friendliness there. And I don't understand why I'm the only one called on passive agressiveness or sarcasm when I'm just responding to like kind...all of this was brewing long before I ever got here that is obvious from old posts, and It will continue to happen long after I get kicked off until you guys resolve some issues about the culture and purpose of this forum because it's a contradiction. If I had taken your advice I might blissfully believe I have some trim healthy akita mix, and I wouldnt deal with the fact I have a seriously overwheight DS. I love my dog and think she is the most beautiful and fabulous dog I've ever seen, I really couldnt care less if she is a DS or not, I only "want" her to be one If she is one, otherwise I'm missing out on vital information regarding her health. I mean, is this dog Fat?
Attachments
HPIM1116 (1).JPG
HPIM1116 (1).JPG (412.58 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

But what about checkers???????
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Forums are kind of like movies. If you don't like the movie, put on your coat and leave the theater. So many things in life are really just that simple.

So is asking for an opinion and graciously accepting that for which you asked--and that goes for anybody on this forum, any forum, a website, a doctor's office, whatever or wherever the venue. I don't have to agree or like an answer, but if I badger people...well, I'm likely to get labeled. That is not exclusive to this forum, I assure you.

On another dog forum I frequent, certain folks are referred to as "Yeah, but-ers." They get answers from from people dripping in knowledge and experience, yet every response from the OP is some form of "Yeah, but...."

You seem to be using this forum--or rather this section since you never post any place else--as a way to get some kicks, perhaps even release personal frustration unrelated to this forum. We can go back and forth like this day after day--I have the time and so do you--but I'd rather see you use your time on this forum to participate in other sections in the spirit for which this forum is intended.
Stacy_R
Training Dog

Post by Stacy_R »

gingerman wrote:I really couldnt care less if she is a DS or not, I only "want" her to be one If she is one, otherwise I'm missing out on vital information regarding her health.
Then why do you persist in arguing that she must be?
And as far as health information goes, there isn't anything specific to the DS breed that you would be missing.
Raven wrote:Forums are kind of like movies. If you don't like the movie, put on your coat and leave the theater. So many things in life are really just that simple.

So is asking for an opinion and graciously accepting that for which you asked--and that goes for anybody on this forum, any forum, a website, a doctor's office, whatever or wherever the venue. I don't have to agree or like an answer, but if I badger people...well, I'm likely to get labeled. That is not exclusive to this forum, I assure you.

On another dog forum I frequent, certain folks are referred to as "Yeah, but-ers." They get answers from from people dripping in knowledge and experience, yet every response from the OP is some form of "Yeah, but...."

You seem to be using this forum--or rather this section since you never post any place else--as a way to get some kicks, perhaps even release personal frustration unrelated to this forum. We can go back and forth like this day after day--I have the time and so do you--but I'd rather see you use your time on this forum to participate in other sections in the spirit for which this forum is intended.
Agreed...on all points.
~Stacy
Mom to:
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

ditto Sharon's thoughts.

you seem to be a smart and thoughtful guy - and you care very much for Ginger's well-being [ which is something of which we all approve ], so it is time to drop the attitude and become a productive or, at least, friendly contributor to this forum.

[ for others' benefit, i had suggested privately to Gingerman that Ginger may or may not have any DS in her, but that is was impossible to tell from bad photos at bad angles and, further, asked if Ginger might be simply overweight, stating that i and maybe others here had never seen a fat DS and that i would have no idea how being FAT might affect the face and body look [ obscuring the structure ] of a DS mix. at this point, i still do not know - other than reading the comment above - whether Ginger is overweight or simply big.]
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

I have tried to be friendly and contribute but this has been met with sarcastic and condescending comments that I have been scolded in responding to in the same tone. Will they please refrain then if I behave myself?
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

As to your point john, I have appreciated your help so much. You impressed upon me how lean DS should be, and because Ginger holds that extra weight so well that would not be evident..it would explain many things though about her weight and eating habits (I thought she didn't have much appetite), I didn't realize I was just feeding her too much, and dog food guidelines are not a help there...She has lost 2 lbs btw though! I shouldn't have posted bad pics, I tried to explain why even that isn't easy for me, but neither should people be too sure about snap judgments based on them. I concluded Ginger was a DS based on an exhaustive process of elimination viewing tens of thousands of pics and watching dozens of hours of videos. The only thing I can say with certainty is that Ginger is virtually identical in appearance, movement and behavior subtleties to other dogs that are called DS, and I do have 24 hour access to her and can watch all the videos of Saki and see only very subtle differences, as compared to any other breed or mix in which there are only subtle similarities. It seems everyone is complicit in a very narrow definition of what a DS is on this website, but how many perfect pedigrees are going to be rescue dogs? Isn't it logically these would be dogs with, say, white nails? (Checkers appears to have a couple), if they are just going to be casually dismissed, what is the purpose of this thread then?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ive seen a fat DS LOL.. One of our bad winters where I didnt get out hiking much, Thalie got fat. She looked really funny. They just look fat. Instead of the tucked in waist, she looked like a striped sausage.

Gingerman, I am sorry but yes, it is you who starts the taunts. I have been here for quite a while and I have never seen, just out of the blue, someone here just start picking on someone who wrote a nice respectable post.

We keep asking you respectable questions and you come back with sarcasm. I am not going to waste my time going back and finding your whole barrage of them but you are the problem. So you can keep being the problem or the solution. Of course, yes, if you stop the smack and respond like a regular person, of course we will welcome you with open arms.

But if you do continue with the sarcastic remarks to regular questions, your time here will be cut short.
ImageImage