fairly sure I'm a Dutch Shepherd owner..

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
vgibson19
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a young female who recently adopted a supposed Dutch Sheperd for myself and my boyfriend. Asphalt (or Ash) is a very energetic 1+ year old male

fairly sure I'm a Dutch Shepherd owner..

Post by vgibson19 »

I stopped by the local animal shelter just over a month ago and fell in love with a big guy we named Asphalt or Ash for short. Our first 5 weeks have been great, a tiny bit crazy. He was attached to me almost instantly, and can not be left alone at all. He's destroyed two metal crates so far and quite a few pairs of shoes. My main concern is his weight. He was neutered last week and at the time he was 75lbs, but since then he looks quite a bit thinner. He could eat non stop, sometimes 4 times a day. What's a normal Dutch shepherd weight??
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.69 KiB) Viewed 4449 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: fairly sure I'm a Dutch Shepherd owner..

Post by Dutchringgirl »

How old is he? He is very cute. Have you had the vet check him over? My two girls are about 55 lbs each.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
vgibson19
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a young female who recently adopted a supposed Dutch Sheperd for myself and my boyfriend. Asphalt (or Ash) is a very energetic 1+ year old male

Post by vgibson19 »

I was told he's just over a year. His weight isn't bad but he's so thin behind his ribs.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

If you want to post a side profile shot and one from the top, we can better help identify the breed and if Ash is under weight. I haven't weighed Odin in a while, but I think he's just under 70. If you ask my old landlord, he's only 45 haha. I keep him pretty lean. Coming from other breeds, most people think DS are too skinny.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

first, OMG, he is really cute. cuter than your new member photo where he looks more distinguished than cute.

and, yes, I very much agree with Stephanie that he should appear very thin behind his ribs, especially to people not accustomed to the breed - very greyhound-like. DS owners are use to people screaming, ''FEED YOUR DOG!!'', but they are fed AND very fit and lean if well-cared for. I think most males fall in the 70-80lb. range with more above 80 than below 70, despite that lower 70's is probably the MEAN weight [ with the AVERAGE weight probably upper 70s ]. so his weight sounds perfect, unless you can SEE his ribs protruding [ you should be able to FEEL them very clearly - if not, he would be overweight.]

he does look very much a DS to me.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

He's a good weight. Feed him twice a day, once really in the evening if you are gone all day.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mod moved post.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

He's so cute, looks very DS to me.