Dutch Shepherd or not???

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
pabr2013
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: have 2 dogs one lab/shepherd mix, one possible dutch shepherd mix

Dutch Shepherd or not???

Post by pabr2013 »

I adopted this pup from the shelter when he was 3 mos old, he was listed as an "Akita Mix". After looking through some pics of different breeds, I came across this site. I know he's not 100% DS, but...just look at those ears?

He's 7 months old, and about 50 lbs.

Thanks

Pattie
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Re: Dutch Shepherd or not???

Post by Sugars Mom »

OMG so cute!! Sure looks DS to me! Is he super smart?
Sue (and Sugar)

pabr2013
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: have 2 dogs one lab/shepherd mix, one possible dutch shepherd mix

Post by pabr2013 »

yep - TOO smart...
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

OMG he is so cute!!!! everything except his snout look DS to me, especially the ears !!! His snout is very short. Maybe you could put your fingers up his nose and stretch it out?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
shana
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hey all im a dutch addict :) lol we now have three in my family my dad has two that work up at a farm with him been stealing them for months and working with a protection sports group in my area LOVE LOVE LOVE this breed yes even in the temper tantrum melt down demonic running around like a cracked out two year old moments lol just got my own seven week puppy can't wait to see him grow.

Post by shana »

Look at the ears!!!! Omg he's a cutie!!!!
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Post by Karin »

Those ears are great. Looks like he might start levitating at any moment. Is he 7 months in the pictures or are those when he was younger?
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
pabr2013
Just Whelped

Post by pabr2013 »

Top photos are a few weeks ago, others are when he was a bit younger.
pabr2013
Just Whelped

Post by pabr2013 »

I thought DS were bigger dogs, is 50lbs at 7 months considered small?
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I think I see the Akita in the face there, but those ears are huge!

50lbs at 7 months isn't bad. I actually thought it was a bit big for a DS since they don't completely fill out until around 3. I have a larger boy around 72lbs. My female is dainty and weighs less than your guy now and she's 3 and fully grown.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mod moved post.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

OMG I LOVE his ears!!! He is absolutely adorable.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Starlight Pilot
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I used top be terrified of dogs as a kid. But I met a German Shepherd named Sheba and have been into dogs since I was 12, now I'm 32 and have successfully handled many of all sizes, breeds and temperaments. I titled my first dog Sport, a mixed breed, in agility and then got into schutzhund. I got to work with working bred GSDs and loved them. After Sport died I was offered a young Dutch Shepherd named Allie (short for alligator!). I adopted her and fell in love with the breed. I rescued several Dutchies after that and then Allie was killed tragically by irresponsible veterinary staff. About 4 months later I rescued a pathetic emaciated 1 yr old Dutchie named "Phantom". With just some food, water and love he sprang from his listless phantom self and I named him Logan. Now he is my 8 yr old hardcore PITA!!!! :D

Post by Starlight Pilot »

They said akita mix??? Akita and what, a Frenchie? :P That pic of his head from the side...gotta be something short faced mixed in. That picture shows clearly his head type, the others are from angles and hard to tell. I've seen dogs that are crossed from things like Frenchies with a normal nosed dog and you can get a snout like that with those long legs. Look at pugles, they are not extremely short faces but shorter than beagles....but idk what short snouted dog it would be because he is so big!!! Very cute face.
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

Your puppy looks totally DS to me with the exception of the short snout, but so so cute! I see no Akita, some have thought my dog was an akita mix because of the short snout, but there's nothing else akita like about her either, what is your pups personality like?