Is Dax a Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
happycozy
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in the south in the U.S., and I recently adopted what I think is a Dutch shepherd.

Is Dax a Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by happycozy »

I just adopted an adult dog from an animal rescue. The foster parents believe she's a Belgian Malinios mix. She was stray, so they're not sure. After doing a bit of internet research, though, I think she's a Dutch Shepherd mix. She's not high energy, like I've heard about the breed. But she's very smart, skittish of strangers, and super protective of the family. What do you guys think? Is Dax a Dutchie mix?

Here is a video of her:
http://youtu.be/wDSOg2_ePng

And here are some pictures of her:
forum.jpg
forum.jpg (506.83 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
27244235-3-large.jpg
27244235-3-large.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
27244235-2-large.jpg
27244235-2-large.jpg (16.91 KiB) Viewed 5589 times
happycozy
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I live in the south in the U.S., and I recently adopted what I think is a Dutch shepherd.

Re: Is Dax a Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by happycozy »

Since I haven't heard from anybody yet about whether Dax could be a Dutchie, I thought I'd post some more pictures of her.
Attachments
Dax in Doggie Couture
Dax in Doggie Couture
Dax Coat.jpg (486.1 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Dax with Kong
Dax with Kong
Dax Kong.jpg (510.62 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Dax with ears back
Dax with ears back
Dax Ears.jpg (493.44 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Mod moved thread.

Thanks for posting more photos. I'm sure a couple of folks will chime in.

How much does Dax weigh now?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks for posting the extra pics. IN the first set, I would have said no, but with the second set, i would say yes. The shape and color do say DS, but her temperament could be from the other breed mixed in. Many breeds are smart and pack protective, so that describes many many breeds. The best thing is she found you and you guys will be so happy together !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

At first, the OP was asking if the dog was a DS-mix....

This dog looks like a few I've seen around my neck of the woods; they look like someone bred GSD with DS, but who knows?
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
happycozy
Just Whelped

Post by happycozy »

Raven wrote:Mod moved thread.

Thanks for posting more photos. I'm sure a couple of folks will chime in.

How much does Dax weigh now?
Thanks for moving the thread. Dax weighs about 65 pounds.
happycozy
Just Whelped

Post by happycozy »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Thanks for posting the extra pics. IN the first set, I would have said no, but with the second set, i would say yes. The shape and color do say DS, but her temperament could be from the other breed mixed in. Many breeds are smart and pack protective, so that describes many many breeds. The best thing is she found you and you guys will be so happy together !!!
Yes. I'm glad I found her. It was a rough start because she was so bonded with her foster parents, but she's adjusted well, and she's a pleasure to have now.
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

She is soooo cute!! And pretty!!! I love the 3rd picture in your first post...1 ear forward, 1 back.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
happycozy
Just Whelped

Post by happycozy »

Stacy_R wrote:She is soooo cute!! And pretty!!! I love the 3rd picture in your first post...1 ear forward, 1 back.
Thanks! That's the funny thing about mixes, each body part wants to do its own thing: one ear stands up. the other says, nope! :lol:
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

happycozy wrote:each body part wants to do its own thing
:o :player: :lol:

She's a very pretty girl, indeed. My favorite's the (last?) one with her ears melted back on her head.

In the one shot, is she in front of a heater (while wearing a coat)? What a life....
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

happycozy wrote: Thanks! That's the funny thing about mixes, each body part wants to do its own thing: one ear stands up. the other says, nope! :lol:
That is the DS part of the mix !! Sadie's parts all go different ways !
ImageImage
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

I think your conclusion about a DS mix is likely correct, Id say prob at least 50%. I came to the same conclusion about my doggie and seemed to get in lots of trouble about it, but the long body seems right but extra stocky like my dog. The ears could just be a fluke, my dog's ears do all kinds of crazy things, sometimes in stereo and sometimes independently. Some thought akita mix because she was doing "akita ear" in the first pic, but there is also yoda ear, flying nun ear, bat ear, submissive ear, devil ear, and I'm half listening/half asleep ear. She is also quite calm, which totally contradicts some things I've read on the net about DS but is consistent with others, I'm still wondering if this correlates to the "working" variety of dutchie as apposed to a pedigree, there is not too much info out there that I've found.
Starlight Pilot
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I used top be terrified of dogs as a kid. But I met a German Shepherd named Sheba and have been into dogs since I was 12, now I'm 32 and have successfully handled many of all sizes, breeds and temperaments. I titled my first dog Sport, a mixed breed, in agility and then got into schutzhund. I got to work with working bred GSDs and loved them. After Sport died I was offered a young Dutch Shepherd named Allie (short for alligator!). I adopted her and fell in love with the breed. I rescued several Dutchies after that and then Allie was killed tragically by irresponsible veterinary staff. About 4 months later I rescued a pathetic emaciated 1 yr old Dutchie named "Phantom". With just some food, water and love he sprang from his listless phantom self and I named him Logan. Now he is my 8 yr old hardcore PITA!!!! :D

Post by Starlight Pilot »

I think she's a Dutchie crossed with a GSD...I don't see any other breeds. The ears are very German Shepherdy shaped even tho sorta floppy...ears that don't stand up totally strait are fairly common in GSDs. Skittishness isn't typical of the DS but there are certainly individuals with weak nerves.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

gingerman wrote:I think your conclusion about a DS mix is likely correct, Id say prob at least 50%.
Can you please let me know how you came to that number?
ImageImage
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

A guess, just my opinion...I am entitled to those right? The above dog has to my eyes DS traits and I don't see any obvious traits of any other dog...though the snout does look short even considering it's a puppy, would be interesting to see dax now...anyway this is an old thread who knows if he's even going to read this. How did you arrive at the conclusion that Ginger has 0% dutch shepherd in her??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTnXXGh78Qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2TZeXWlJIc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPF5iJTXZmk

Yes, It's obvious there is no possibility of a shred of genetic overlap between Ginger and those other dogs, and in thinking so It's obvious I'm unabashedly insane.
gingerman
I have been banned

Post by gingerman »

no this isn't the short snouted one sorry..so what percentage DS would you guess?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I never said you weren't entitled to an opinion, so I dont know why you were questioning that, all I asked is how you came up with such a precise percentage of DS? I came to the concussion that Ginger has 0% DS because between the pictures and your description nothing was DS.
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Gingerman,

I have asked you before very nicely to refrain from your passive-aggressive barbs and jabs at people. At this point, I don't care why you do it--just stop it.

>>You tell everyone their dog is a DS (or a DS-mix) if they have pointy ears and a brindled coat.
>>You can't make up your mind if you "want" your girl to be a DS-mix or a DS or no DS at all.
>>You didn't address the last questions I posed to you (don't bother answering now); instead, you made a snarky FAREWELL post and left. (Well, you said you were leaving....)
>>And just recently you spewed off a random percentage of how much DS you thought someone's dog had--and when someone legitimately asked how you came up with the number, your answer was ridiculousness wrapped around yet another jab. :wtg: Typical.