Asha baby!

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Asha
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Asha baby!

Post by Asha »

I've been a member for about 4-5 months. The more I read about your pups the more confused I am about Asha's breed. I'm pretty much stuck on a brindled Heinz 57, but want your opinions. She's pretty small, only 37 pounds. I'm guessing she's anywhere from 5 to 7 months old. She's extremely intelligent and pretty well-behaved, definitely a fast learner. She's great around dogs and kids. I've taken her to pretty large gatherings, I'm talking thousands of people, and she did great. She's really agile and at almost full speed she can jump over our front steps, at least a 5 foot span, into the house and basically stop on a dime. She chases our cats but is pretty nice to all of them and is good buddies with one of them.
I don't see Dutch Shepherd in her face at all, but cannot figure out what's there. I need your expertise, and as I've always said, I won't be heart broken if she's not a DS, I just can't see her in any other breed I've come across. It's very puzzling not having a clue what she might be :( , drives me totally nuts sometimes.
Sorry about the blurry pics, she can't stand still for a sec. Also, I couldn't get any with her ears up :(
Attachments
DSC00316 (800x600).jpg
DSC00316 (800x600).jpg (259.52 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00320 (800x600).jpg
DSC00320 (800x600).jpg (256.6 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00329 (800x600).jpg
DSC00329 (800x600).jpg (232.72 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00343 (800x600).jpg
DSC00343 (800x600).jpg (230.59 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00331 (800x600).jpg
DSC00331 (800x600).jpg (233.6 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00339 (800x600).jpg
DSC00339 (800x600).jpg (237.59 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00343 (800x600).jpg
DSC00343 (800x600).jpg (230.59 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00347 (800x600).jpg
DSC00347 (800x600).jpg (235.7 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00348 (800x600).jpg
DSC00348 (800x600).jpg (275.31 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
DSC00349 (800x600).jpg
DSC00349 (800x600).jpg (191.81 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Asha baby!

Post by Karin »

I think if we are honest, it is just impossible to know. She kind of has that lab/shepherd thing that a lot of rescues/shelters use but really I think that means it is not possible to know. You could do that DNA test. While it would not pick up a dutch shepherd, it might pick up other breeds.

With such a lovely temperament, you scored either way. :wtg:
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

My neighbor adopted a lab/shepherd LOL.

Other than the brindle I dont see any DS.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Asha
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Post by Asha »

Yeah, I kinda figured the general consensus would be not a DS. When she was a puppy, it was a lot easier to lump her into the DS mix category, mainly for me at least because of how smart she is. But as she grows I don't see much of anything aside from the coat and perhaps the way her belly tucks that might meet standards, plus she's so darned tiny.
From those pics can you tell how big she might grow to? She's still in her first year and only about 4 inches taller than our beagle. I'm hoping she'll get at least a little bigger. Does anyone know when small-medium sized dogs really stop growing? How much do they grow the second half of their first year?
DS LOVER and obsessor
Asha
Green Dog

Post by Asha »

Come on guys, I know you love to type...
DS LOVER and obsessor
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

Actually the body seems pretty dutchie, and the size would be on target, especially if he's closer to 5 months, the paws look small and there is something non-shepherd like in the face in the pics, but it could totally be the pics, is the face shepherd like?
Asha
Green Dog

Post by Asha »

I'm pretty sure she's not a DS at all. I think the brindle comes from pit bull or boxer with possibly GSD, lab or blue heeler in there, basically a pretty awesome Heinz 57! But she definitely doesn't have the drive that you guys talk about. I posted those pics more to see what the braniacs on the forum might think she is and to maybe get a guess on how big she might get because my vet has basically said "I have no idea." I stick around here pretty much just to check out all the awesome photos of Dutch Shepherds and always keep up with the medical thread because it is extremely informative for any dog owner, as are many of the other threads.
DS LOVER and obsessor
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Asha wrote:I'm pretty sure she's not a DS at all. I think the brindle comes from pit bull or boxer with possibly GSD, lab or blue heeler in there, basically a pretty awesome Heinz 57!
I am no DS expert...just a dog person :) I thought her head looked kind of pit/labby mix in the pictures and maybe pit is where the brindle comes from??? (and ps..Tyson is poking me and chewing on me as I type... "c'mom, mom...outside...the sun is shining!!! let's go NOW!!! okay, fine...I will just annoy you with my squeaky toy until you relent [toss, catch, squeaaaaaaak...lather, rinse, repeat].")

Oh, and I love the picture of her on the couch. "Yes, mom, I am ready for my close-up." :)

Asha baby is beautiful, no matter what she is and is lucky to have you as her mom!!

Crud...Tyson found his tennis ball...gotta go!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org