Other breeds that could be the source of your brindle dog

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Other breeds that could be the source of your brindle dog

Post by Karin »

We get a lot of inquires from people asking if their brindle dog is a Dutch Shepherd or Dutch Shepherd mix. Here are other breeds that could be the source of the brindle pattern. Brindle does not equal Dutch Shepherd.

Here is a list of breeds that can be brindle. I patched this together from on- line sources. Please add to it or corrected as I don't claim to be an expert.

American Staffordshire Terrier
Rat Terrier
Bull Terrier
BullMastiff
Mastiff
Boxer
Cane Corso
Great Dane
American Bulldog
English Bulldog
Old English bulldogge
Boston Terrier
Cairn Terrier
Chihuahua
Pug
Perro de Presa Mallorquin
Akita
Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Perro de Presa Canario
Dachshund
Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge
Dutch Shepherd
Grayhound
Whippet
Cardigan Welsh Corgi
French Bulldog
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
Scottish Terrier
Great Dane
Plott Hound
Treeing Tennesse Hound
Basenjii
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Other breeds that could be the source of your brindle do

Post by Raven »

Wait--but what if it has pointed ears? SURELY if it's brindled and has pointy ears it's a DS. No? Huh. Well, what if it's brindled, has pointy ears, and helps my kid with his homework? That's definitely a Dutch, right? :evil:

Sarcasm aside, thank you, Karin, for the post.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sharon :lol: :lol:

Really, though, there is just way too much information out there as to characteristics and then mix them, now you have that much more.

Hounds act this way, working breeds act that way, and herding breeds another way.

Honestly, it really dosnt matter, I have two and they are at the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as characteristics so with in the same breed there are differences, so now you have who knows what and asking what kind of dog you have makes for a too loaded question.

Love each other and at the end of the day, breeding dosnt matter.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Love each other and at the end of the day, breeding dosnt matter.
Spoken like a hippie. :D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Raven wrote:
Dutchringgirl wrote: Love each other and at the end of the day, breeding dosnt matter.
Spoken like a hippie. :D
you found me out :wtg:
ImageImage
gingerman
I have been banned
Tell us about yourself: I am a partnered male who spends my time caring for my ailing mother. I was angry when my sister told me she brought home a stray puppy (I live with her), But upon meeting Ginger my heart melted. I loved my Valkyrie so much (A german shepherd Rott mix), I never thought I would meet a dog so sweet, smart, and beautiful, but there she was. I have no papers but I thing Ginger is the dutchiest dutchess in dutchland.

Post by gingerman »

Hey, you all forgot the Cimarron, I thought I had something here with trying to match Ginger but upon more research ears are all wrong even if they can stick up sometimes, along with many other differences..
Attachments
cimarron-uruguayo-7.jpg
cimarron-uruguayo-7.jpg (31.04 KiB) Viewed 30944 times
Karin
Green Dog
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Post by Karin »

Brindle Anatolian

Test to see if I can upload a photo this way
Attachments
Clyde1of2.jpg
Clyde1of2.jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 30916 times
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Born May 24, 2013
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Neat looking dog.
ImageImage
Asha
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Post by Asha »

I thought I read somewhere that bridle was the dominant color "gene", is this true?
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Asha,

There have been a few other talks of the coloring on here that are pretty informative. Do a search and see what you can come up with.
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i had not the slightest idea that Anatolian shepherds could be brindle. could be an answer to the question about Rufus!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Post by Tappy4me »

Oh my, you may be right, Johnny! Some of the other breeds I've been looking at resemble him...but he's almost a spitting image of many of the images I've looked at of the Anatolians! :lol: Would definitely explain his size, and he really is a gentle giant! :lol: ALOT of the stuff I just read about them Rufus fits to a "T". Wow.

@Karin, I think this post is wonderful. Honestly, I never knew there were so many brindle breeds that could be an influence!
Owned by Flint (American Eskimo Dog) and Rufus (Dutch Shepherd mix) :)

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

We have a new member, Carolinagirl, who has a DS but also has two Anatolians. Not saying your Rufus is the latter; just letting you know that you may have a source of information for Anatolians on this site with a PM, keeping in mind that no one has a crystal ball.
Tappy4me
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I've had Belgian Malinois for years at my folks. I just got married, and a friend of mine who does search and rescue, had been keeping an eye out for Mali puppies for me. He came across a 9 month old Dutch Shepherd female pup who needed a home. She doesn't have the nerves to do the search and rescue she was intended for, but is perfect pet material. She's enough of a challenge to be alot of fun :)

Post by Tappy4me »

Raven wrote:We have a new member, Carolinagirl, who has a DS but also has two Anatolians. Not saying your Rufus is the latter; just letting you know that you may have a source of information for Anatolians on this site with a PM, keeping in mind that no one has a crystal ball.
Oh, definitely. That is good to know! I looked a bit closer, and did come across 2 Anatolian breeders within a 1 1/2-2 hour radius of the shelter we got Rufus. So, it's entirely possible, even if he's a mix of one of those and something else. We don't care one way or another what he is, it's more of random curiosity, and fun, to try to figure out something that he /may/ be. He's way too big and his proportions just don't fit a Dutch. :) I got a bit excited researching them to see something he looks almost exactly like.

Maiya on the other hand was 100% Dutch. Miss that girl :( She and Rufus would have been a BLAST together.

In loving memory of Maiya, the best Dutch Shepherd. 2012-2013. At 14 months old, you had yet to live life to it's fullest. You touched our lives and will never be forgotten.

~Jess
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Maiya. I remember. Maiya lives on, though. No doubt.

(I swear Thor "channels" my last DS when he does things that aren't him but were very much her. Sounds nuts.)

Enjoy Rufus and the new year together. :party1:
Tappy4me
Green Dog

Post by Tappy4me »

Raven wrote:Maiya. I remember. Maiya lives on, though. No doubt.

(I swear Thor "channels" my last DS when he does things that aren't him but were very much her. Sounds nuts.)

Enjoy Rufus and the new year together. :party1:
He is exactly like her in so many ways. It's awesome :) So no, it doesn't sound nuts!

~Jess
Carolinagirl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just got a rough coated Dutch shepherd pup a few days ago and am looking forward to learning more about this great breed! I also have sheep,dexter cattle,two Anatolian shepherd livestock guardian dogs, an Amstaff (who is thrilled to finally have a friend to play with) and two elderly long coated chihuahuas.

Post by Carolinagirl »

It's true that Anatolians do come in Brindle but that color is very, very uncommon within the breed. I know of only a few of them. Most are fawn dogs with black masks. A large boned brindle mix is more likely great Dane or Mastiff or something like that. temperament wise, Anatolians are at the opposite end of the spectrum frm herding dogs. They lack prey drive.....but do have a protection drive. They don't play like regular dogs either and are VERY independent thinkers and not very obedient. They are very smart but do not follow commands because they don't really see the point. They are poor schutzhund prospects because they do not see the point of attacking someone who really isn't a threat. So if a dog acts like a Dutch shepherd, it's very unlikely it has any Anatolian blood.
Cindy from south Carolina
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Very early on in the life of the forum there was a post where Judith (I'm pretty sure it was her) put together a list of Brindle breeds.

Add Mountain Cur: Image
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Carolinagirl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I just got a rough coated Dutch shepherd pup a few days ago and am looking forward to learning more about this great breed! I also have sheep,dexter cattle,two Anatolian shepherd livestock guardian dogs, an Amstaff (who is thrilled to finally have a friend to play with) and two elderly long coated chihuahuas.

Post by Carolinagirl »

Also when trying to determine heritage of mixed breed dogs, think of what breeds are common to your area. If a breed is very rare in the area, chances are the owner of those breeds is not letting them roam around producing strays. In my my area, a brindle mixed breed is probably a boxer or pit bull mix. I am probably the only person in a 50 mile radius with Anatolians. But out west and in Texas, there are hundreds of them. So if a large fawn colored stray shows up at my local shelter, I'd bet $100 it is NOT an Anatolian mix. Shelters love slapping fancy names on stray dogs, I guess they think it helps get them adopted.
Cindy from south Carolina
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
Karin
Green Dog

Post by Karin »

Since the boxer is probably a source of many brindle mixes here is one and then one of a shepherd/boxer mix head...
Attachments
images-1.jpeg
images-1.jpeg (6.3 KiB) Viewed 30823 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (9.49 KiB) Viewed 30823 times
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Born May 24, 2013