Other breeds that could be the source of your brindle dog

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Re: Other breeds that could be the source of your brindle do

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

I had seen brindled greyhounds, but hadn't realized they could have prick/upright ears. Photos available if you search prick eared greyhound.
Kella's Person Mara
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Formosan Mountain Dog comes in brindle too...

http://www.easypetmd.com/doginfo/formosan-mountain-dog
Sue (and Sugar)

KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

Found another breed( although probably more uncommon) includes long coats - the Estrella Mountain dog .
Kella's Person Mara
sallyls
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a question about my daughter's mixed-breed dog, a brindle 60lbs or so that was adopted as a stray. He is supposedly and plott hound boxer mix but has a very "gay" tail. I hope to post a picture or two and see if he might have some characteristics of a Dutch Shepherd. He does howl like a hound though.

Re: Other breeds that could be the source of your brindle dog

Post by sallyls »

Hello. My daughter adopted a stray from our Humane Society several years ago and we have wondered what he might be. They listed him as a Plott Hound - Boxer mix, but I have just discovered Dutch Shepherds! He does not have the muzzle of the shepherd but does have some other characteristics, and has a really high curled "gay tail" most all of the time. He does have a low bark and a howl like he might be part hound. I met a Great Dane one day that looked like his huge father. Any suggestions appreciated. Dutch Shepherd are beautiful - I am glad I discovered this page!

I am trying to attach pictures but first I got file too big so I reduced the file size and now it says http error. Help please? Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_2637 (2).JPG
IMG_2644 (2).JPG
IMG_1181 crop.jpg
IMG_1203 2.jpg
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dont see any DS in there.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Karin wrote: ↑Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:11 am We get a lot of inquires from people asking if their brindle dog is a Dutch Shepherd or Dutch Shepherd mix. Here are other breeds that could be the source of the brindle pattern. Brindle does not equal Dutch Shepherd.

Here is a list of breeds that can be brindle. I patched this together from on- line sources. Please add to it or corrected as I don't claim to be an expert.

American Staffordshire Terrier
Rat Terrier
Bull Terrier
BullMastiff
Mastiff
Boxer
Cane Corso
Great Dane
American Bulldog
English Bulldog
Old English bulldogge
Boston Terrier
Cairn Terrier
Chihuahua
Pug
Perro de Presa Mallorquin
Akita
Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Perro de Presa Canario
Dachshund
Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogge
Dutch Shepherd
Grayhound
Whippet
Cardigan Welsh Corgi
French Bulldog
Anatolian Shepherd Dog
Scottish Terrier
Great Dane
Plott Hound
Treeing Tennesse Hound
Basenjii
There many non brindle dogs that produced brindle when mixed... I've seen tons of gsd mixes that came out brindle
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

I liked that video. Those DS puppies were the best.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG