Might Zoe Be a Dutch Shepherd?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
jayde2
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live and work in the beautiful Northern California Wine Country. I was told Zoe was 15 months old when we adopted her from the county shelter in December 2011. Shelter workers told me the best thing that happened to her occurred the day she was surrendered by a man well-known to the animal care community as someone who operated in the dog fighting shadows. Zoe was surrendered because she was not "mean enough." She is ridiculously intelligent, loyal, dramatic and now, happy. She was 59 lbs. when adopted (she actually gained weight after spending a month in the shelter!), and is currently 72 lbs. of boundless energy. The same day we adopted Zoe we also adopted Deke, a six-month-old lab/rottweiler mix. They are inseparable and dislike all other dogs. Zoe is alpha, and Deke is submissive so they are a great match and best friends.

Might Zoe Be a Dutch Shepherd?

Post by jayde2 »

We adopted Zoe at 15 months from our local shelter. She was surrendered by a scurrilous dog fighting "trainer" because she was not mean enough. She is highly intelligent, energetic, playful and a drama queen, in addition to being very protective of me (a bit of a problem but we're working on it...).

Thank you for your assistance!

jayde2
Attachments
Zoe 4.jpg
Zoe 4.jpg (272.23 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Zoe 2.JPG
Zoe 2.JPG (464.11 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
Zoe 1.jpg
Zoe 1.jpg (134.51 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
jayde2
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live and work in the beautiful Northern California Wine Country. I was told Zoe was 15 months old when we adopted her from the county shelter in December 2011. Shelter workers told me the best thing that happened to her occurred the day she was surrendered by a man well-known to the animal care community as someone who operated in the dog fighting shadows. Zoe was surrendered because she was not "mean enough." She is ridiculously intelligent, loyal, dramatic and now, happy. She was 59 lbs. when adopted (she actually gained weight after spending a month in the shelter!), and is currently 72 lbs. of boundless energy. The same day we adopted Zoe we also adopted Deke, a six-month-old lab/rottweiler mix. They are inseparable and dislike all other dogs. Zoe is alpha, and Deke is submissive so they are a great match and best friends.

Re: Might Zoe Be a Dutch Shepherd?

Post by jayde2 »

Sorry, don't hate the newbie, forgot to mention Zoe was 59 lbs. when we adopted her and topped out at 72 lbs.

Jayde2
Karin
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Post by Karin »

Hi there. Well Zoe is a cutie. It probably is not likely that she has DS. I see boxer in that face. Might explain the white foot too. So something like a boxer mix... but check out the thread on other breeds that have the brindle gene. Her size and the look of her face says something else besides DS.

Never the less, she is cute as all heck and looks like a fun girl.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
jayde2
Just Whelped

Post by jayde2 »

Thank you Karin!
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

My first reaction was that I saw Dane in the face, muzzle, and ears in the last photo. Could be some Plotthound in there, though.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Dane and Boxer struck me too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I see Dane in her face. Those ears are something else though. It's crazy the way dogs can look when you mix a few breeds.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
jayde2
Just Whelped

Post by jayde2 »

Thank you!