Might Lucky be a DS mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
wonderlandsmostwantd
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I have two dogs, the second just adopted -we think he *may* be part DS?

Might Lucky be a DS mix?

Post by wonderlandsmostwantd »

I’m looking for some opinions – we adopted a very sweet boy from our Humane Society on Sunday – he was a transfer in from a shelter in Oklahoma. Apparently, he was abandoned in the yard of an abandoned house somewhere in Oklahoma – he was emaciated and starving and sad. They gave him food and necessary medical care and got him back to good health. He wasn’t adopted there, so he was transferred in to Minnesota. Our Humane Society labeled him a “Shepherd/terrier mix” based on best guesses, but weren’t sure what breed he is. I’ve NEVER seen a brindled shepherd ANYTHING before, so I started searching online to get an idea what kind of dog he may be. I came across information on Dutch Shepherds, and thought that MAY be part of what he is. I was wondering if any of you might have insight. Here’s some more info on Lucky and some pictures:

Sex: Male, neutered
Weight: healthy, at 44.5 pounds
Size: Medium. Though I haven’t taken exact measurements, when walking his head is around at my hand level, so about 26”, and I’d guess his shoulders to be in the 18-20” range – definitely on the small side for what I’ve read about DS, but again, I’m thinking maybe a mix with a smaller dog?
Temperament: exceedingly mellow – we’ve only had him for 2 days, so he’s still warming up and getting to know us, but thus far, he’s a marshmallow. He’s submissive, likes to likes to lay on his back. Doesn’t mind us touching his ears, tail, paws, teeth, muzzle, you name it.
VERY smart – learning quickly, adapting well, walks great on a leash. We are working on housebreaking and basic commands but he’s learning very well already.

Reasons we think part DS: The coat of course, the thicker, shepherd like fur (although texture, I’d say he feels almost like an old school teddy bear – not overly stiff or course, but not fine for fluffy or silky.) He’s DEFINITELY brindled, and it’s a very distinct, rich brindle – black with reddish brown and just a bit of white to the muzzle, chest and belly – none on the feet. His ears are very incredibly floppy, but the shape if you were to hold them up, is pretty shepherd like.

While there aren’t many Dutch Shepherds in our area, the first few results I found online when I looked up DSs, were in Oklahoma, where he started out. I’m thinking he may have been the offspring of a DS trist? :)
Anyhow, any input you have to offer would be appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/118000355@N05/12617867014/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/118000355@N05/12617446345/
Last edited by wonderlandsmostwantd on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wonderlandsmostwantd
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I have two dogs, the second just adopted -we think he *may* be part DS?

Re: Might Lucky be a DS mix?

Post by wonderlandsmostwantd »

JerryLeeK9
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: First time shepherd rescue who has wanted a pure shepherd since I was a kid. Now that I have the finances and space for it I took the plunge and I think I may have ended up with a part Dutchie! As soon as I met him my reserves for a pure GSD went out the window

Post by JerryLeeK9 »

Very hard to say... the coat is the only thing I really see being anything Dutchie and there are tons of dogs with brindle coats, terriers being a strong advocate to begin with.

He does seem to have the potential to be a terrier/dutchie mix but it may not be possible to tell. Even with a blood test, I've been told Dutchies are not traceable in that way.

Plott hound would be my best guess as part of the mix, I can really see it in the ears and face more than a DS. My chips are with Plott hound/Terrier but hey... I'm just a dude on the internet!

Here's a Plott Hound pup, check out the ears and head.
Attachments
Plott_Hound_Chipper_IMG_1341.jpg
Plott_Hound_Chipper_IMG_1341.jpg (153.77 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Id say no to DS but yes to cute
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
JulLanglois
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a new dog owner. Adopted Shelby 2 weeks ago from the shelter. She's a 4 years old spayed female. VERY smart and very sweet. Full of energy!

Post by JulLanglois »

Hello! I know I'm replying to an older post, but I just got a dog from the shelter that looks very similar to your Lucky. I was told that she, Shelby, was owner surrendered to the shelter and that she is a Dutch Shepherd. She has the same coloring and marking as Lucky. White underbelly, white on the bottom of her chin, same floppy ears, same tail, same coloring, etc. Did you ever receive confirmation if Lucky is DS? Just curious.
Picture3.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture1.jpg
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Thank you for rescuing!

The consensus was that Lucky was not a DS.

As with Lucky, the shape of Shelby's head and floppy ears point to a different breed. There are a lot of dog breeds that are brindled.

Based on your description, it sounds like you got a winner either way.

As an FYI, the DNA tests do not work for determining if you have a Dutch Shepherd, so save your money if you're thinking about going that route.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

Post by ralbucks »

Lucky is very handsome