HELP! Everyone says he looks like a mastiff mix!!!

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Kitty_the_dog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Hello, we have rescued a new addition. His name is Kitty and he was saved from poor conditions in downtown L.A.. we saw him posted on craigslist and couldnt srop thinking about him, the next day we decided he was the one. As we had been looking at getting a pup anyways. We were told he was 8 weeks when we got him and he had been dewormed, and had shots. We were alao told he was a black lab and Australlian shepard mix. After a trip to the vet the next day, none of that held up. HE WAS ONLY 6 WEEKS!!!! had worms and no shots. Weighed 7.4 pounds, happy to inform 3 weeks of having him anf he is a whopping 15 pounds!

HELP! Everyone says he looks like a mastiff mix!!!

Post by Kitty_the_dog »

from the very first time the vet saw him (6 weeks old) she said
" awww is that a little mastiff?"

well now everywhere we go we here mastiff mix. or pitbull. I don't see ANY pitbull in him whatso ever and his paws are not mastiff big but idk

what do you guys think?

picture 1: mastiff mix

picture 2: kitty

picture 3: mastiff mix

picture 4: kitty

picture 5: mastiff mix

picture 6: kitty

ect.....
Attachments
mastiff5.jpg
mastiff5.jpg (65.12 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
B8.jpg
B8.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
mastiff4.jpg
mastiff4.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
bubbles3.jpg
bubbles3.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
mastiff3.jpg
mastiff3.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
9.jpg
9.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
mastiff2.jpg
mastiff2.jpg (136.38 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
kitty10.jpg
kitty10.jpg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
mastiff2.jpg
mastiff2.jpg (136.38 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
kitty7.jpg
kitty7.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
β€œA bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.”
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Re: HELP! Everyone says he looks like a mastiff mix!!!

Post by Mobil »

He might be. Or he might be a plott hound mix, or a mix with any other breed that has a brindle coat. It's really hard to tell with puppies. It's also really hard to gauge without better pics.. Standing profile would be a good angle to see. Blurry candids and shots of him being snuggled are awesome, but don't do much to help identify. His complete absence of a mask I think might point away from being DSD, but I imagine it's possible that being a mix of Dutch shepherd and something else might leave a dog maskless.

Honestly, I think because he's so young, you might have to wait and see what he turns into.

Also, when comparing pics you get from a Google search, you have to bear in mind that breeds listed for mixes, especially shelter mixes, are often pulled out of asses. Unless the parents are known, it's a guess. so you might be comparing kitty to a mastiff mix, but you might not, KWIM?
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

silberlied
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We rescued Darko from a low-budget high-kill shelter in rural South Carolina as a German Shepherd/Mastiff mix puppy.

Post by silberlied »

He doesn't look like a Mastiff to me! Or a pit. I love Mastiffs and see them all the time at work (as well as a ton of other puppies), and even babies are HUGE. As little as your guy is, he should be twice as wide if he were a Mastiff. They also have a black mask like a DS regardless of color, although I do know a DS without a full mask. Don't worry. I've had people say my guy looks Mastiff, German Shepherd, hound, boxer, Dutch Shepherd, even great pyrenees. So really people can only guess. As he gets older you will probably get more Shepherd.
Tara
Darko, Long-Haired Brindle Mystery Shepherd (2/14/14)
Tjstel
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Wife and mom, & we have 3 dogs, German Shepard, yorkie, & puppy not sure what he is,, vet and everyone we see says he's a shepherd mix, mayb with Pitt, definitely shepherd

Post by Tjstel »

Hi, we don't know what breed ours is ether, we were thinkin mixed with shepherd, and vet and everyone we see also said definetly shepherd mix and mayb Pitt, we're not sure about the Pitt though, yours looks very similar to ours,, I'd say yours has some shepherd as well, definetly not mastiff :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg