Here is Argus, probably a DS mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
EMK
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a postdoc at UC Davis studying stem cells and immunology. My husband and I just adopted a mixed shelter dog that I suspect is a Dutch Shepherd mix. We're both first-time dog owners though we grew up with them and are excited to learn about training and dog handling to help Argus grow into his best possible dog. Whatever mix he is we love him to bits!

Here is Argus, probably a DS mix?

Post by EMK »

Hello!
I'm new to Dutch Shepherds and new to dog ownership. My husband and I just adopted a lovely dog from a local rescue, he was labeled dutch shepherd mix, so I've been researching the breed :).

He's 10 months old and 56 lbs, male and fixed (recently), he came from a shelter in Tulare county CA where he was turned in feral with his mom and littermates (also labeled DS but I never saw them). I haven't measured his height/girth but will post a photo with my husband (5'9") for comparison, I can measure when I get home if that would be helpful.

He's pretty high energy, very smart but has a _very_ short attention span which we're working on with training. He loves other dogs at the dog park and chases them/herds them by running into them while they run (not usually nipping or biting just pushes them with his chest). He likes to chase a ball but is not usually interested in returning it, keep-away is his favorite game. So far he loves all people and dogs he's met, I think he'd love to play with the cats too but they're too afraid to interact directly yet. Generally he's a love bug and isn't destructive unless he gets bored and doesn't have some guidance about appropriate things to chew on.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome :) I'm looking forward to gaining some great insight from this community, and I love him to bits whether he's a DS mix or not. Thanks in advance for your help and attention!
Attachments
Handsome Argus.pdf
(89.81 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Argus and food bowl.pdf
(76.93 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
Argus and David.pdf
(76.53 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
smaller.pdf
(135.94 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Argos.jpg
10866878_10102814932534464_1646227863_n.jpg
10847876_815371745193693_3706098368394605479_n.jpg
10822417_10102814932524484_521270762_n.jpg
Rescued is my favorite breed <3
EMK
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I'm a postdoc at UC Davis studying stem cells and immunology. My husband and I just adopted a mixed shelter dog that I suspect is a Dutch Shepherd mix. We're both first-time dog owners though we grew up with them and are excited to learn about training and dog handling to help Argus grow into his best possible dog. Whatever mix he is we love him to bits!

Re: Here is Argus, probably a DS mix?

Post by EMK »

So after looking around, I think there are tons of crosses that are possible for Argus. Maybe GSD x Saffordshire bull terrier? That seems to be the closest other cross I can find photos of that gets close. Any other guesses?

We just started proper obedience training and he's super smart and driven, this will be a fun adventure shaping him into a well-behaved and happily trained dog :)
Rescued is my favorite breed <3
dogbyte
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have been owned by German Shepherd Dogs for over 20 years. I have come to the dark side with my first Dutch Shepherd. Rossi is an almost 11 month old female from Land of Oz kennel. I have a 10 year old GSD and an 8 year old.

Post by dogbyte »

What ever his mix he is a handsome dog.
cathy,jaden,gracie & rossi with xara, chance and zoey forever snuggled deep inside my heart
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

my first guess would be no. but he is a cutie
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage