My not so Dutch Shepherd

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
MY_BFF_HAS_PAWS
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: First time Dutch Shepherd owner, just the pup and I.

My not so Dutch Shepherd

Post by MY_BFF_HAS_PAWS »

Jarkko is about 1yr 10 months (i've had him for about 9 months) and was sold to me as a fawn coat Dutch Shepherd. I have heard that this is used to cover for a Malinois X breed, and I've heard that the fawn is still considered a Dutch. Either way I love him the same, but I am curious as to everyone's thoughts. He is about 24" and 65lbs.
Attachments
1 month ago
1 month ago
4 months ago
4 months ago
6 months ago
6 months ago
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Re: My not so Dutch Shepherd

Post by johninny »

i guess in informal circles - not DS or BMal fanatics - you have a choice. he looks like one or the other [or both!]. he looks like great fun.
others might comment on the genetics; beyond me. i just say enjoy your friendship with him.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

There's been more than few discussion on the genetics of this on this forum over the years by very knowledgeable people. As you read read through the threads, you find them. Some go back a few years, too, but worth the search. I suspect most might be under "Whatever" where the threads were actually about other topics that got off-topic.

Glad you're enjoying and loving him. The time will go fast, despite those dragging moments where you'll pour a stiff drink, wondering what you got yourself into.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Post by Stacy_R »

Hopefully Stephanie will chime in....she's very knowledgeable about the genetics
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ive been told you can have a fawn DS but not a brindle Mal. but yes, there are tons of great posts about the genetics of the brees
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Fawn is a recessive color in Dutch Shepherds, so both parents have to carry the gene in order to get fawns in the litter. Do you have access to who the parents are?

What a cutie!
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

MY_BFF_HAS_PAWS
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: First time Dutch Shepherd owner, just the pup and I.

Post by MY_BFF_HAS_PAWS »

yes and no, I have a list of dam and sire claiming both as DSD in an email but I wasn't worried about bloodlines for showing or breeding, so nothing official and the breeder turn out to be less than reliable.