Daenerys, a DS mix??

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a recent college graduate and adopted a puppy last fall (2014). She is a bit of a mystery and I'm looking to gain more information about potential breeds and the health problems we may encounter during her life. She is a lovely 6 month old brindled dog. We were originally told she was a shepherd and hound mix but we aren't so sure. Her name is Daenerys.

Daenerys, a DS mix??

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Hey everyone! Meet Daenerys! She is a 7 month old mix puppy. We were told when we got her that she was a shepherd/hound mix. We aren't totally sure what she is exactly but we are assuming there is some shepherd in there. She is super eager to please, she can learn a new trick in a matter of minutes and remembers it forever. She is energetic, like running, playing fetch (she would play fetch til she dies if we let her), she likes having a schedule. She is about 7 months old and weighs 43 lbs, female, spayed. The reason we are sure she is a mix is because she has extremely webbed toes, I mean right to the tip, and from the research I've done it looks like DS do not have webbed toes? She does have fur between her does though. And she has dew claws on the front legs. White patches on her chin, chest and one back toe. If there is any information that would be more beneficial in maybe figuring out if she could be DS mix please let me know!! Thank you!!

Alyssa Winkler
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Daenerys, a DS mix??

Post by Raven »

Can you post a pic showing how webbed they are?

From the photos, her eyes look round. Are they round or almond-shaped?

What a cutie. :)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a recent college graduate and adopted a puppy last fall (2014). She is a bit of a mystery and I'm looking to gain more information about potential breeds and the health problems we may encounter during her life. She is a lovely 6 month old brindled dog. We were originally told she was a shepherd and hound mix but we aren't so sure. Her name is Daenerys.

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Raven wrote:Can you post a pic showing how webbed they are?

From the photos, her eyes look round. Are they round or almond-shaped?

What a cutie. :)
Thanks! Here is the best photo I could get of her feet,

And her eyes are mildly almond shaped, but more so round. It's always hard to get a photo of her eyes cause she is always excited about getting her picture taken so she opens her eyes really wide! haha
Alyssa Winkler
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

That doesn't look like webbed toes. IIRC, Most dogs have some webbing, but dogs with actual webbed feet have the webbing all the way down to the tips of their toes. Regular feet have the webbing partway down.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gorgeous pup. The face shape looks very GSD, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's DSD, at all.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

My DS has some webbing--with long, knuckle-y toes like a wolf. His webbing was more than I'd ever seen before, but not truly webbed.

He's a powerhouse, and his feet tear up our sod something awful. You can't really mow the grass. There's lots of huge patches that just roll loose under the mower; we have to lay them out like throw rugs to let the roots reattach/grow.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped

Post by Amwinkler91 »

Raven wrote:My DS has some webbing--with long, knuckle-y toes like a wolf. His webbing was more than I'd ever seen before, but not truly webbed.

He's a powerhouse, and his feet tear up our sod something awful. You can't really mow the grass. There's lots of huge patches that just roll loose under the mower; we have to lay them out like throw rugs to let the roots reattach/grow.
That's funny that you mention the yard because Daenerys does the same thing, given the chance she will dig a hole a foot deep in no time flat! She just runs around in the yard and there are pieces of sod flying everywhere! We've gotten a lot of puzzle toys and she loves them to occupy her time!
Alyssa Winkler
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

There's lots of information on this forum (and within unrelated threads!) about how to hone their skills and keep them mentally challenged. With these scary-smart dogs, the challenge is finding things they can't figure out first time out in only a couple seconds.

One thing I've found that is always engaging--with increasing levels of difficulty as long you have imagination--is tracking and/or searches.

My guy does it every day and would do it all day, if given the chance. It's old-school for him now, so the tougher I make it, the more he enjoys it. AND IT WEARS HIM OUT. And it doesn't have to be a physical challenge...a mental one has the same effect.
Amwinkler91
Just Whelped

Post by Amwinkler91 »

That is interesting! I would love to know how to set up something like that and see how she does. I feel like she figures stuff out so fast and then is over it within a half hour or so.
Alyssa Winkler
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

She is beautiful. She has a heart on her chest too. But this toe stuff is too funny. I'm addicted to Xander's toes. His toes look alot like Deanerys toes except fuzzier. They are somewhat webbed and knuckley. And very fuzzy. He LOVES when I take my finger and scratch between his toes. He will spread his toes out so I scratch between them. But he hates when I pick at his toe hair. And I've never had to actually cut his nails. He keeps them worn down on his own.
Karen & Xander
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Sadie has knuckley toes as well !!!! Thalie has nice dainty toes. LOL

She is beautiful but I could not make a guess, there are so many breeds with brindle, and the other traits.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage