Dutch Shepherd? Or Mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
emint
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Louisville, KY

Dutch Shepherd? Or Mix?

Post by emint »

I got Kona from a GSD Rescue. They acknowledged that they do not think she's a GSD, but I have been approached by a few Dutch Shepherd owners who think she's a DS. She's got the temperament for sure. She's smart, athletic, and full of energy. She's about 50-55 lbs and 10-11 months old according to the rescue and vet. She's got a brindle coat, a dark face, and golden almond-round eyes. She does have some white on her chest, feet and the tip of her tail. She's fairly tall and lanky-- I get comments that she looks too skinny, but the vet says she's just young and that's typical to similar breeds.

What do you all think? Google images of a dutch shepherd show a lot of different variations, and I'm not quite sure.

Either way, I love her to death!

Emily

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Dutch Shepherd? Or Mix?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Looks like a DS to me, could be a bit of something else but who knows.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Definitely looks like a Dutch! Gorgeous pup!

Does she make Chewbacca noises? Are squirrels irresistible? Is there a daily crazy hour?

Have you found her on top of the 'fridge yet? :lol:
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

emint
Just Whelped

Post by emint »

Mobil wrote:Definitely looks like a Dutch! Gorgeous pup!

Does she make Chewbacca noises? Are squirrels irresistible? Is there a daily crazy hour?

Have you found her on top of the 'fridge yet? :lol:

"Chewbacca noise" is a great way to describe the noises she makes. She actually will sometimes have conversations making those crazy noises. I always know what mood she's in based off those noises too.

The daily crazy hour in my house is known as her "menace time"." She runs around the house in circles making her Chewbacca noises and throwing her toys in the air.

And I haven't found her on top of the fridge... yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if I did! Her latest antic is only jumping on the couch from behind, jumping over the back and landing on your lap when you least expect it.
Emily

Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

That sounds like a Dutch!

I love her white toes!
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

congrats and thanks for rescuing a wonderful-sounding DS! looks and sounds like no doubt about it -- like that look in the 1st photo, '' what's the plan now? ''
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
emint
Just Whelped

Post by emint »

Thanks for all the wonderful compliments! She's quite the character haha.
Emily

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I'm not good on identifying a ds by looks but she sounds like one. If she "talks back" and runs through the house turning corners with all 4 feet on the wall or couch she is probably a ds. Congrats on your new friend. She is a pretty girl. Have fun with her and keep us posted with pictures. We all love pictures.
Karen & Xander