What do you guys think? Dutch Shepard or something else

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
IamBre
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: First dog in 10yrs. :)

What do you guys think? Dutch Shepard or something else

Post by IamBre »

This guys was a rescue. He is about 5 months old and 45Ibs. Neutered. They said he was a plott hound/mastiff mix. I don't know about the plott hound but I don't see any mastiff. What do you guys think? He also has webbed feet all the way up.
Attachments
20150428_131251 (2).jpg
20150425_233959_resized.jpg
IamBre
Just Whelped

Re: What do you guys think? Dutch Shepard or something else

Post by IamBre »

One more pic
Attachments
20150428_141256.jpg
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Well, both Plott Hounds and mastiffs have longish floppy ears. And droopier lips. And neither have breeches. There's also a propensity for shelters to just slap a label on a dog based on its color. Brindle? Dutch Shepherd/mastiff/plott hound/boxer/pit bull.

What area is he from? What's his behavior and personality like?
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

IamBre
Just Whelped

Post by IamBre »

He was a rescue that came to colorado from texas. He was set to be euthanized. We've only had him since Friday. So far he is a really good boy. He seems fairly laid back for a puppy. That could also be him adjusting to the altitude too. He does have moments of over excited playfulness outta nowhere where he uses the living room and couch like a race track. He is very friendly-no aggression issues. He seems a bit indifferent/independent at times. Not sure if that is his personality or just him adjusting from being handed around so much. He knows commands but if you don't have a treat he seems to have selective hearing. His coat is somewhat coarse. Not that it helps but so far for a puppy he is a REALLY good puppy.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Can you get a standing side profile shot of him (with you level to him)? And maybe one of his head? Those really help in identifying.

From what I can see in the pics his face looks a bit too wide to be a DS and his ears don't look shepherd-y, but again, angles in pics can skew a lot. Plus at 5 months he still has a lot of growing to do! But either way he looks adorable. Love that one floppy ear!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

From the second picture I would say a Mix of some sort.

the look of the head/face is just off.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

beautiful dog, he looks like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier mixed with some type of shepherd to me. best of luck with him!
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

"Fairly laid back" definitely doesn't describe a DS puppy. LOL!
Dusty,

IamBre
Just Whelped

Post by IamBre »

here are some more pics. A profile and a side shot.
Attachments
20150429_203128_resized 2.jpg
20150429_203128_resized.jpg
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

The head and size make me think Shepherd and Great Dane :eek: . Good looking no matter what the mix.
Kella's Person Mara
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

KellaA+dog6 wrote:The head and size make me think Shepherd and Great Dane :eek: . Good looking no matter what the mix.
45 pounds at 5 months seems big to you? I think Mobil was around that size at that age, I'd have to check. He's 75 pounds right now at a year.
Dusty,

IamBre
Just Whelped

Post by IamBre »

KellaA+dog6 wrote:The head and size make me think Shepherd and Great Dane :eek: . Good looking no matter what the mix.

Interesting you said great dane as I was looking at some stuff today and thought possibly the same thing. I think I'm gonna do the DNA test on him just cause I'd really like to know what he is or at least some of what he is.
Mobil
Training Dog

Post by Mobil »

Mobil wrote: 45 pounds at 5 months seems big to you? I think Mobil was around that size at that age, I'd have to check. He's 75 pounds right now at a year.
LOL I checked back and he was just over 40 pounds at 4.5 months, so not too far off.

It'll be interesting to see how his personality and drive turns out, please keep us posted!
Dusty,

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

There is some sort of shepherd but his face and ears and torso also say something else... I'm not seeing a lot that would indicate DS. Keep us posted though as it's always hard to tell with puppies. My guy growing would look like a greyhound some days and a sight hound others!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)