Dutchie or mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
MonochromePup
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently have 2 Australian Shepherds. Have done both agility and herding. Currently training to trial my male Aussie in nose work.

Looking to find a breeder with suitable dogs or adopt a Dutchie or Malinois to play flyball, dock diving, tracking, nose work, and any other fun sports shenanigans to do.

Dutchie or mix?

Post by MonochromePup »

Here is the cutie!

http://www.adoptapet.com/pet/10979141-s ... h-shepherd

I'm in contact with an adoption counselor about him already. He looks like a mix to me, due to the shape of his head and body? But not sure if it's just the angle of the photos.

What do y'all think?
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Dutchie or mix?

Post by k9lexi »

They have him listed as a purebred I have adopted two purebred akitas from humane society and they had both listed as akita mix bought them 10 years apart I can see why an agency would put mix if they arent sure but if they had listed as purebred, I'd probably believe them
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Looks like a mix. I'm seeing a bit of pit in there? Angles are very hard to ID on this guy.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
MonochromePup
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently have 2 Australian Shepherds. Have done both agility and herding. Currently training to trial my male Aussie in nose work.

Looking to find a breeder with suitable dogs or adopt a Dutchie or Malinois to play flyball, dock diving, tracking, nose work, and any other fun sports shenanigans to do.

Post by MonochromePup »

Yeah, I felt like I saw APBT a bit in the head structure.. and body structure overall. Also tough to tell because of the small photos, but I can only assume he's mixed then!
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

i tend to disagree about pit b mixed in. their coats/patterns are very different from the DS. don't read too much into photos re angles, etc; pics can be very misleading. but the brindle is not the right brindle for a pit and, accounting for the oddities of photos, i would guess this dog has as much a chance as being ''pure-bred'' as any other rescue.

in addition, this dog looks TREMENDOUSLY confident and relaxed in his own skin - which is just such a superb starting point for beginning life with a DS. if i am right on both points, then this dog would be a rare [ easy ] find among DS rescues. lots of potential in this one.

good luck with the adoption if you go ahead. definitely should go to check him out as quickly as possible as he looks spectacular to me.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
MonochromePup
Just Whelped

Post by MonochromePup »

Thanks! I have been in contact with someone from this rescue nevertheless. :) The rescue unfortunately thinks that he is too much to handle, 100% due to my housing.. (apartment). There tends to be a common bias against apartments/condos among rescue groups, which I can totally understand for general cases...

This is definitely a working home though, but it seems like I will need to keep on looking!
born2fly79
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I are interested in getting a DS puppy. We are new to the breed and are interested in learning as much as we can about them. We would appreciate any help or information others have to offer. We are most concerned about selecting the right DS for us.

Post by born2fly79 »

That's a shame. I wasn't in an apartment when I got my Dutch, but I have been now for the past 15 months. He does just fine there! Lots of walks and visits to places he can run. It isn't optimum but I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't ok for him. In fact, right now I have a cat, my Dutch and a Rottie at the apartment. Some days it's a bit of a zoo, but we manage just fine. :)
Rebecca
born2fly79
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I are interested in getting a DS puppy. We are new to the breed and are interested in learning as much as we can about them. We would appreciate any help or information others have to offer. We are most concerned about selecting the right DS for us.

Post by born2fly79 »

He's now 4 1/2
Rebecca
fetch
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch and Malinois owner.

Post by fetch »

It's a shame they eliminated the OP based on the seemingly sole criteria of being an apartment dweller. He's been in rescue for a spell - at least a year now. I want to say it has been more than a year since I first saw him during an idle curiosity search, but since I cannot be 100% certain, I'll stick with a year. Luckily, it sounds like a really good rescue and they've even invested in his future with further training so it's not like he's languishing in a kennel somewhere.

My vote is he's DS. Then again, I've seen that same/similar broken white (brockle?) pectoral pattern on multiple DS listings for SoCal/Inland Empire over the years. Someone's intact dog being marketed as a DS sure has been busy down there...