Ruby, 6 month old, female.. dutch shepherd?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
RubyxCube
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We have two female shepherds.

Ruby, 6 month old, female.. dutch shepherd?

Post by RubyxCube »

We recently adopted Ruby from a family moving that could not afford to take their dog with them. We were told she is a 6 month old spayed german shepherd. Though, the other day at Petco someone asked if she is a Dutch shepherd. I had never heard of the breed before, and I'm wondering if anyone could provide insight as to whether or not she appears to be a Dutch shepherd mix.
2015-08-10 16.45.53.jpg
2015-08-10 16.47.46.jpg
2015-08-10 16.50.17.png
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: Ruby, 6 month old, female.. dutch shepherd?

Post by cordeliandemon »

aw she looks lovely :) id say shes just a normal German shepherd puppy, i dont see any dutch in there as far as i can tell. her big black mask is likely what made the person think of a DS
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
RubyxCube
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We have two female shepherds.

Post by RubyxCube »

Thanks, she definitely has the demeanor of a german shepherd pup.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

She's a sable GSD and what you'd probably find described as a plush coat. The color isn't seen too often among GSDs and is mainly found in working lines which can be smaller, like a Dutch Shepherd. It's easy to assume it's another breed compared to the large black and tan american line GSDs that most people are familiar with.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Moving post to "Is My Canine A DS?"

(Good looking pup!)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Aliyaai
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is Aliya Khan I am a blogger

Post by Aliyaai »

LyonsFamily wrote: ↑Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:21 am She's a sable GSD and what you'd probably find described as a plush coat. The color isn't seen too often among GSDs and is mainly found in working lines which can be smaller, like a Dutch Shepherd. It's easy to assume it's another breed compared to the large black and tan american line GSDs that most people are familiar with.
Hi guys
The sable GSD with a plush coat is a striking rarity among German Shepherd Dogs. Its distinctive color, more commonly seen in working lines and smaller breeds like Dutch Shepherds, sets it apart from the typical black and tan American line GSDs.