Rescued a New Puppy! Introduction/ Identification Help!

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
williamlevantovsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New owner of a rescued Shepherd :)

Rescued a New Puppy! Introduction/ Identification Help!

Post by williamlevantovsky »

Hey Guys,

Thank you for taking the time and reading this. I just wanted to introduce myself and possible get some help. My name is Will and I just rescued my new Best Friend this past Sunday. The little "Shepherd Mix" was found wandering the streets of Georgia (I live in PA) at only 7 weeks old and after getting his shots, was sent all the way here to attempt to get adopted. Luckily, I was at the event as soon as the van doors opened and noticed this little skinny guy right away. Right then I signed the paperwork and took him home. After getting some fluids in him and putting some meat on his bones Alpha is now 9-10 weeks old and 15lbs. I originally thought he was a Malnois/ Malanois mix but the more research I do the more it points to a Dutch. I did get him a DNA test, but after I mailed the sample, I found out that they don't have DS in their database. If you don't mind, check out the pictures and tell me what you think my new baby is. Also, all pointers will be appreciated! He's a very good puppy but definitely knows how to play rough and already has the "protect" instinct. To me, everything about him looks Dutch Shepherd except in some profiles he has a more rounded face like a Pit or Bull terrier but that could also be chalked up to the fact that he is so young. All help will be appreciated!

Thank you!

-Will

Last edited by williamlevantovsky on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Rescued a New Puppy! Introduction/ Identification Help!

Post by Raven »

Welcome!

I'm moving your post to Is My Canine A DS. Keep in mind any feedback will be educated opinions. (And that DNA testing for DS is lacking.)

That photo of him staring at the wall 'o toys: so many things to destroy and so little time.... :lol: We'll see how quickly those get moved until he's trained. ;)

Please browse through the threads, especially Whatever, Education and Behavior. That said, also peek in threads that seem unrelated to the questions you presently have as we are not sticklers here for staying on-topic, and there's lots of valuable knowledge/insights in posts within seemingly unrelated threads.

No matter what he is, he is a cutey! Thanks for rescuing.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
williamlevantovsky
Just Whelped

Raven wrote:Welcome!

I'm moving your post to Is My Canine A DS. Keep in mind any feedback will be educated opinions. (And that DNA testing for DS is lacking.)

That photo of him staring at the wall 'o toys: so many things to destroy and so little time.... :lol: We'll see how quickly those get moved until he's trained. ;)

Please browse through the threads, especially Whatever, Education and Behavior. That said, also peek in threads that seem unrelated to the questions you presently have as we are not sticklers here for staying on-topic, and there's lots of valuable knowledge/insights in posts within seemingly unrelated threads.

No matter what he is, he is a cutey! Thanks for rescuing.
Thank you! I've been doing a ton of reading and I do know that the DNA test doesn't test for DS. Pretty upsetting! What do you think he is? Dutchy?
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Have a great time with your new best friend. Get out there and train him up! No matter what the breed, he doesn't care and you shouldn't either. As to his breed, I going a Pitbull X .
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
williamlevantovsky
Just Whelped

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:Have a great time with your new best friend. Get out there and train him up! No matter what the breed, he doesn't care and you shouldn't either. As to his breed, I going a Pitbull X .
I 100% agree and I'm doing just that! In 4 days at only 9-10 weeks he knows sit, stay, come, down, and is already house trained. He's a smart boy and will get tons of exercise. Can't wait until he gets a little bigger, I've wanted a dog who knows his way around a frisbee for so long!

-Will
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Welcome!

He is a cutie! So happy you're giving him a loving home!

Mals and DS are structurally fairly similar, though a defining characteristic is usually the stripes that make a dutch (although this is not always the case, it is a majority). With no stripes I'd be more inclined to place him as a mal rather than dutch. Structurally he looks like he's more of a pit/shepherd/Heinz 57 mix. Although it is so hard to correctly identify puppies until they're about a year or so - growing throws off structural characteristics we look for in certain breeds. Either way he's absolutely adorable!

Feel free to look around the forum - sometimes the search function is your best friend!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I love fat puppy bellies !!!!!!!!!! I want to hug him. He dosnt look DS to me though.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

im not sure what hes a mix of but his coat is adorable! maybe try posting some more pictures when he gets a bit bigger? its hard to tell what a puppy is when theyre very young because they change SO much, let alone guessing a mix.
his coat could even take a dramatic change, when my malamute koda was 12 weeks she was a matt beige colour and looked like she had some german shepherd in her. it was another 2 months before all the "wolf grey" came in. :)
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I don't know what he is except cute. I love the first pic, the big tongue pic. He is adorable.
Karen & Xander
KellaA+dog6
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am a married empty nester, who was lucky enough to stay home with kids, dogs, and cats when not traveling with husband.

Post by KellaA+dog6 »

If you search using "dark malinois", there are some dogs with similar coloring in the images.
Kella's Person Mara