Puppy is it a Deutch Shepard??longhairrd??!!

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Katiensparky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have found a long haired puppy not sure of breed could be German, Belgian or Deutch any tips for identifying ?

Puppy is it a Deutch Shepard??longhairrd??!!

Post by Katiensparky »

I've been taking care of this puppy I found still looking for the owners. No chip no collar. Found in jessup md no responses at all. He is 3-5 months old, teething ; 23lbs and beutuful very smart. Not sure if he is a long haired:
German, Belgian, Deutch Shepard???!!
Any tips on identifying?
It won't let me post pictures says too big !! Help tips I'm a noob!!
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Puppy is it a Deutch Shepard??longhairrd??!!

Post by Raven »

It's subjective at best even with pictures. Have you browsed the "Is My Canine A DS?" section. There are lots of pictures and opinions there.

Do you plan on keeping the pup if the owners don't show up?

Also in the section I pointed out you peruse, you'll find we inquire about the drives a dog has, their intelligence, athleticism, etc., etc.

Moving post to the other section.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

If teething I would hazard closer to 4-6 months. Easiest way is to signup for a free service like photobucket, upload the pics there, then when you're posting, make sure you're in "post a reply" and not quick post, and use with the URL from photobucket in between (once you upload a picture, there's a menu somewhere that says "share - embed - URL - direct" and I think you want either URL or Direct option and copy and past that link). Or you can resize to around 1000-1500 pixels and that should be okay - I think the size limit is 1MB.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Malwolf
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Very experienced Shepherd owner of German/Dutch and Malamute/Wolf Shepherd mix.
Not a breeder but do rescue. Currently have two Shepherds.

Post by Malwolf »

Not having seen a picture of the dog it's difficult to determine however they are I believe stockier than GSD but in the long haired the fur is generally rough, straight, thick to the touch without usual no fringes in the ears. The pile is incredibly thick. I've had two rescues who were Dutch Shepherds (one confirmed one I felt quite confident was). One of mine was brindle the other tri color.
As a breed I find them very sensitive to their caregiver, predictable in behavior and loyal to the point of possessive. they are, I find, brave and fearless. Of course nipping, mouthing is an issue for all of this herding breed and they should be monitored as puppies constantly. They are strong in character..and need I believe experienced handlers. They are remarkable herders, incredibly intuitive. I'm a grandmother and found that both of mine needed to be watched carefully with young children, very overprotective of them and had a strong prey drive. Mine were rescues though and did not grow up with our children or grandchildren and in fairness that should be noted. I found also that they tended to be while independent sometimes a little headstrong and so attached to that separation anxiety was an issue but as I work from home it was easily remedied. The underlying theory is if it moves they'll herd it - cars, kids - they need activity and a job. As a breed my two were fabulous...then Shepherds are my preferred breed anyway. If you plan on keeping this dog, get professional training, you won't regret it - they are super smart, loyal and loving the closest to wolves I think! If you do not plan on keeping the dog choose an experienced handler/adopter only...please an check with their vet. No novices for this breed in my opinion. Hope this has been helpful.
Last edited by Malwolf on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

Dutch Shepherds are not stockier than GSDs. Quite the opposite.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Malwolf
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Very experienced Shepherd owner of German/Dutch and Malamute/Wolf Shepherd mix.
Not a breeder but do rescue. Currently have two Shepherds.

Post by Malwolf »

@Katiensparky: Is this the puppy we met at PetSmart in Annapolis a few weeks back- I gave you a business card - I'm an author? If so, in addition to being gorgeous I'd swear he was a long-haired GSD/ :D :DSangel: Malamute mix.- his fur is very silky for a Dutch shepherd and I've had both. If you're looking for an adopter -please get back to me. I have excellent credentials. I've been trying to get hold of you for weeks to let you know that I posted his info. County and State wide and while there were over 400 people offering to take him in based on the photo not one wanted to claim him. Very strange..which leads me to think it may be an illegal breeder not wanting publicity! I still have the picture. Shall I post so that experts on this site can positively ID if he is a DS? Good luck with your search...he's stunning...and we'd love to have him.
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Malwolf, the OP only posted that one time--a month ago--and hasn't responded. You could PM her, though....
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~