Georgia Prison Pup

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
RemyRegister
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Newly married and about to finish an MBA at UNC Chapel Hill. Remy is a rescue out of Georgia where he was trained through a phenomenal partnership with the women's prison in Lee Arrendale.

Georgia Prison Pup

Post by RemyRegister »

Post in New Member Announcements: Check
Read "Is my canine a Dutch Shepherd" Forum Rules and FAQ: Check
Create post for "Is my canine a Dutch Shepherd" Forum: In Progress!

So following the rules in order...

1) Post clear images of your canine. It is best to have multiple angles while standing (head on/side) with something in the photo that helps determine size and proportion.

Remy is a rescue so I don't have lots of pictures but here's everything so far:
Remy Boy 5.jpg
Remy Boy.jpg
Remy boy 4.jpg
Remy Boy 3.jpg
Remy Boy 2.jpg
- Post the canine's age (best guess), sex, spay/neuter
2 yrs
Male
Neutered

- Post the canines height, length, and weight
22 in tall (56 cm)
45 lbs (20.5 kg)

- Post where you obtained the canine
Georgia pet rescue (it's an amazing program that partners with a local women's prison to take shelter pets that would otherwise be put down and obedience trains them for 12 weeks to make them more adoptable. As a ninja bonus, the women receive a vet tech certificate that has helped some of them get jobs helping veterinarians after leaving the prison. Super win-win. The state made a video about them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-od3MId9ZSQ)

- Post as many facts/details about the canine as you can
According to the head trainer, Remy is great with people and dogs. Loves frisbee and learning tricks. Needs to be exercised every day and has been very easy for the women to train. And I quote "he does have a touch of mischief". She described him as a much mellower version of a purebred DS so I'm curious

a) if he really is part DS (or just brindle from another breed)
b) where the other genes may be coming from

To clear up any confusion in advance, I'm definitely adopting Remy and have pretty much already gone bonkers with the doggy parent prep work (researching food, purchasing toys, finding a vet etc etc). Any guesses about Remy would be purely for sport and so be warmly welcomed in that spirit - not going to be offended at all if folks are just giving an honest opinion :).
Last edited by RemyRegister on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: Georgia Prison Pup

Post by cordeliandemon »

in my personal opinion i think hes got collie and GS in there, maybe some dutch in the german shepherd too to account to the brindle, so at most id say theres a possibility he has a little bit of dutch shepherd swimming around in the mix somewhere but not as much in proportion some kind of collie and other shepherd dog.
his tail, ears, and something about the paws and expression remind me very very much of my dog sidney.

theres no real way for anyone to know whats really in there, its just educated guesses at best:)
in any case id still recommend reading up as much as you can in the event he starts acting more like a ds after a few weeks or months when he finally settles in and lets his personality out, which would make the possibility more likely.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
RemyRegister
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Newly married and about to finish an MBA at UNC Chapel Hill. Remy is a rescue out of Georgia where he was trained through a phenomenal partnership with the women's prison in Lee Arrendale.

Re: Georgia Prison Pup

Post by RemyRegister »

I think you might have nailed it... just found this photo when looking for a collie/shepherd mix and it's pretty close!
Border Collie Shephard mix.jpg
At 22in (56cm) he'd be at the upper end of the BC spectrum and the lower end of the DS/GS spectrum. Florida and Georgia seem to (oddly) have more than their fair share of US DS so that might be what got the trainer thinking DS vs. GS: http://dutchshepherd.rescueme.org/Georgia

I figure BC/DS/GS, he's pretty much guaranteed to have lots of energy so I've got my running shoes ready!