Possible DS mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
GypsysMom
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Mom of a possible DS mix

Possible DS mix?

Post by GypsysMom »

I first became familiar with DSs a couple of years ago when we had the opportunity to foster a purebred DS puppy. We fell in love with him, but didn't want to add another dog to our family at that time. Fast forward 2 years and the rescue contacted us recently about fostering what they called a Mallinois mix since they know I have a soft spot for this type of dog. She turned out to be amazing and we couldn't let her go to another family. She is a reverse brindle with a black mask and white chest patch, but she has floppy ears and has longer fur than a shorthair, but shorter fur than a longhair DS. The rescue thought she was around 6-7 mos old when they got her and they
image.jpeg
said that she came from a high kill shelter in OK. She has an amazing temperment and we've already started her training program. I'm just curious if she appears to be a DS mix to anyone here or if you have any other ideas on what she might be.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Re: Possible DS mix?

Post by karenz »

I don't know what she is but that has to be the most adorable sweet face I've ever seen! :DSlove:

The pool pic does remind me of my Xander with all that fuzz and his slow standing up floppy ears.
Karen & Xander
GypsysMom
Just Whelped

Post by GypsysMom »

Awe, thanks! I fell in love with her sweet face the second the rescue sent me her picture. She is all puppy, but is just about the happest, sweetest dog I've ever met. And wicked smart!

Out of curiosity, at what age did Xander's ears prick?
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

GypsysMom wrote:Awe, thanks! I fell in love with her sweet face the second the rescue sent me her picture. She is all puppy, but is just about the happest, sweetest dog I've ever met. And wicked smart!

Out of curiosity, at what age did Xander's ears prick?

Xander's ear did not completely stand up and stay up until somewhere around 9 and a half months. I didn't think they ever would but all of a sudden they were up and stayed. Here is his floppy ear pic that reminded me of your pup.
img20160608_113911.jpg
Karen & Xander
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

i dont know about dutch shepherd, but something about the eyes/head/ears/coat reminds me more of a border collie mix
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
GypsysMom
Just Whelped

Post by GypsysMom »

I love the floppy ear pic of Zander! :DSlove: I hope her ears stay floppy, but my mil thinks they will stand up at some point.

Thanks for your feedback cordeliandemon. My best guess was Ausie mix if not DS mix. I'm usually pretty good at guessing mixed breeds, but she has been a puzzle for us. Her temperment and alert stance reminds me a lot of the DS we fostered.