Is Theodore a Dutch Shepherd?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
bimmyJ
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Civil Engineer in Charlotte, NC. I rescued Theodore the day after St. Patty's. We've been inseparable ever since.

Is Theodore a Dutch Shepherd?

Post by bimmyJ »

I found Theodore outside my office building in Charlotte, NC back in March. After reporting him lost through many avenues, no one stepped forward to claim him. Without hesitating I adopted him into my own family.

I found out about this breed after some google searches (I think the search that resulted in DS was "brindle shepherd").

I just stumbled upon this forum and I think its pretty awesome. Anyway here are some pics of Theo. Hopefully you will be able to tell if he is DS or not.

I think he is around 5 months old and weighs around 30 lbs.
Theo Pic 5.jpg
Theo Pic 4.jpg
Theo Pic 3.JPG
JB____________________________________
Image "Cat on a tin roof, Dogs in a pile,
Nothin left to do but Smile, Smile, Smile..."
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: Is Theodore a Dutch Shepherd?

Post by cordeliandemon »

he does look like a full breed dutch shepherd if a little on the small side for 5 months, whats his temperament and energy level like?
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
bimmyJ
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Civil Engineer in Charlotte, NC. I rescued Theodore the day after St. Patty's. We've been inseparable ever since.

Post by bimmyJ »

He is very playful with other dogs and people of all ages, and he can play for long periods and of time. In fact I have started taking him to doggy day care a couple times a week. Initially I would pick him up and he would be exhausted, but after only a couple times he would come home with more energy. He's also very curious when in a new environment, but smart enough to know when I am calling him.
JB____________________________________
Image "Cat on a tin roof, Dogs in a pile,
Nothin left to do but Smile, Smile, Smile..."
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Cordelia or anybody , what is the average weight for a DS at 5 months. I can't remembe r what Lexi weighed then
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

average? jeez id have no idea, demon was around 75lbs at 5 months if i can remember right? hes more horse than dog though so not anything helpful to compare to.
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

Aren't full grown dutchi about 75 male and 65 female? You mention 75 at five months.and another post said same thing about a five month old. my husband just rescued a puppy labeled as shepherd mix she is about 20 pounds and they guessed five months old. So many people send pics asking if they have a ds. Is there a DNA database that has ds in it for testing? I asked my vet and she thought the test was not reliable
cordeliandemon
Training Dog

Post by cordeliandemon »

75lbs is definitely not normal for a Dutch shepherd at five months, the older post was also me. Demon is just a very unusually large dog I have no idea what his full grown weight is atm until his next vaccination (forgot to weigh him at the last vet appointment) his sire "razor" was described to me as "as big a Dutch shepherd as you'll see" when I met him but demon seems to have overtaken him anyway.
There's no dna database for Dutch shepherds to my knowledge, and even if there were they're very unreliable anyway, I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)