New Rescue Part DS?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Lizeelips
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New pet parent from NC here - didn't realize it was possible to laugh this much!

New Rescue Part DS?

Post by Lizeelips »

Rescued a new pup about 5 weeks ago and I've gotten so many questions about his breed that I finally caved and ordered a Wisdom Panel DNA test. That takes 2-3 weeks to process (don't worry, I'll post the results here haha) but I'm curious what the wise members of this forum think about my little one.

Neutered: Yes
Height: 26in
Length: 24in
Weight: 50lbs

His previous owner broke his leg (grrrrr) before abandoning him at the shelter so while he loves to run, he can't go very long without starting to limp a bit. The leg healed properly, just a bit short, and the vet said to let him do what he wants. He loves other dogs but will chase squirrels/cats/chipmunks etc. He loves to sniff on walks, but that may have been because of how many months he spent in the shelter. Going outside for him is like Christmas every day.

The guesses we have gotten so far are DS, GSD, Border Collie, Belgian Malinois and Whippet.

Photos:
Dog takes better profile pictures than I do...
Beach Remy.jpg
Puts himself in his crate and just looks at us when we don't play with him enough (after multiple walks!)
Crate Remy.jpg
Hanging out with my cousin's dog
IMG_3317.JPG
Nap Champion 2016
Nap Remy.jpg
We're teaching him "worship". He has such a skinny body!
IMG_3453.JPG
We feed him 3 times a day, he's just picky >.<
Cute Remy.jpg
Love this little man :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: New Rescue Part DS?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He could have a drop but I dont really see any in there. Thank you for rescuing him !!!! He looks sweet
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

Thank you for rescuing! :wtg:
Nothing really screams DS in those pics, but that's not to say there isn't some lurking in there somewhere. The black saddle would probably suggest a bit of GSD. Just a warning about those DNA tests: They don't have a good handle on the more obscure breeds, like DS. Some here have reported some pretty amusing results. In your case, though, it might provide good clues into the major contributors to his genome. Definitely let us know what comes back. I can say for certain he's 100% adorable, though, and seems to have an abundance of personality!
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Cute dog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unfortunately no Dutch there.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

I'm no DS expert, but to me your dog looks like a Catahoula.

Nice looking!

Lisa G.
Lizeelips
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New pet parent from NC here - didn't realize it was possible to laugh this much!

Post by Lizeelips »

Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

The results came back that he's mostly German Shepherd with a splash of Chow Chow and then 25% simply "mixed breed". The 4.0 wisdom panel you're right alas doesn't include Dutch Shepherds but it's nice to get a bit more insight into this wonderful pup. He's the best guard dog we've ever had - only barks at things that sound like someone specifically approaching the house and not for boredom or at mere squirrels, joggers etc. He's very mouthy but apparently that comes from both GS and Chow-chows haha.

Not sure what I did before having this much unconditional love but I couldn't be happier and I wish everyone a wonderful rest of the week and weekend :).
Lizeelips
Just Whelped

Post by Lizeelips »

Yep, we've definitely gotten that as a guess and his brindle is just like the neighbor's Catahoula. Could be part of his 25% grab bag of genes!
brindledog wrote:I'm no DS expert, but to me your dog looks like a Catahoula.

Nice looking!

Lisa G.