Is Anke a Dutchie?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
calizspeedz
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a GSD mix and possible Dutchie.

Is Anke a Dutchie?

Post by calizspeedz »

I got this girl about 2 weeks ago. She was labeled as a shepherd mix but we think she is a Dutchie and is about 13 months old. She stands 21 inches at the shoulder and is about 45 lbs but thin. We are currently treating her for heartworm which is difficult because she is off the walls crazy. She leaps of the furniture like superman and bounces like a gazelle when running in the yard. We are training her in German like our other GSD mix. She is very eager to learn and picked up "sitz", "box" and "hier" within a day or 2. She has tiny paws for her size and a long dopy tongue.

We don't really see any other breed in her but I was skeptical she was a dutchie because her head is a little boxy. After reading through the forum, it looks like the KNVP lines have the boxier head. It is hard to get a good pic since she can't sit still but I would love to know what you all think.
anke1.jpg
20161008_223926.jpg
20160930_114950.jpg
anke3.jpg
anke2.jpg
20161002_171941.jpg
20160929_215342.jpg
Last edited by calizspeedz on Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Re: Is Anke a Dutchie?

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Nice looking dog but, no Dutch Shepherd there. Ear set , muzzle etc not to breed standard.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

Any idea what she is? Her personality is spot on DS.
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

I can try to get better pics if you think she at all might be. Her ears will often stand straight up and are the exact shape of the DS puppy pic for the contest on every page. She is on a 30 day foster and needs a lot of work that I'm willing to put in if she has DS in her, otherwise I'm questioning the effort vs reward without knowing what breed is causing her behavior and will consider letting her go back.
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Unless she came from a breeder of Dutch Shepherds or is papered it would be very difficult to prove she is DS or any part thereof. Why if you like her looks, personality and drive although its a lot of work would you consider returning her. I guess the bottom line is if you want to own a Dutch Shepherd, buy a dog from a good breeder.
Roger
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

She is beautiful but not a DS, I would say Pitt mix. Many working breeds have the same persona. I had a pit rotty mix once and she was very similar to my DS's. Pitts also have brindle coloring so that is where the color could come from.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

Thank you. Would it be fair to say pit\GSD?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

there really is not a "spot on" personality for the DS. I have two and they are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Thalie and my dog I had before her, the pitt/ rot mix could be the same dog. Sadie........now she is a crack head dog. Her drive is so high.

I dont know what else is in there, it could be anything. Like I said. most working breeds are very similar.
ImageImage
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

I'm really surprised that no one thinks any sort of shepherd, that's all I can see is some sort of shepherd mix. I really do appreciate the input. As a family, we decided another shepherd is a requirement for the addition to our family, DS was the preference. I really don't want another pit mix and the decision to keep her or not is very difficult. The pits I have had and worked with in the past seem dumb compared to our current shepherd and we put high value on intelligence and education in our dogs and family.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

calizspeedz wrote:I'm really surprised that no one thinks any sort of shepherd, that's all I can see is some sort of shepherd mix. I really do appreciate the input. As a family, we decided another shepherd is a requirement for the addition to our family, DS was the preference. I really don't want another pit mix and the decision to keep her or not is very difficult. The pits I have had and worked with in the past seem dumb compared to our current shepherd and we put high value on intelligence and education in our dogs and family.

Why are you surprised?

why do you want a ds? Do you have a job for them? Why a requirement?

My pit mix was very smart and I have known many others and I have not found them dumb.

What kind of education will you be providing that you feel only a DS would fit?
ImageImage
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

I don't really have a particular job for them but we do work extensively with our dogs. I am lucky enough to work from home and my wife is a stay at home mom so we have a lot of time to spend with them.

I love the fact my other GSD mix is so in tune to me and generally understands so much of the English (and German) language. She took training well but it's the little things like for example: "time to get up" and she gets out of bed to go downstairs or other things she understands very well. I don't see that level of intelligence in other breeds. Plus, she is AMAZING with the kids. The 18 month old annoys the heck out of her but she doesn't care.

Other important factors are a dog that plays well with our GSD mix. Pits are notorious for not being good with other dogs. Also, we live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city but there is a high crime area not far from us so a good guard dog is also important.

A purebred GSD was on the top of our list but they have so many genetic disorders even from the best breeders around here that I want to stay away from them. The DS has the intelligence but not the problems so they are really appealing to us.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

calizspeedz wrote:I don't really have a particular job for them but we do work extensively with our dogs. I am lucky enough to work from home and my wife is a stay at home mom so we have a lot of time to spend with them.

I love the fact my other GSD mix is so in tune to me and generally understands so much of the English (and German) language. She took training well but it's the little things like for example: "time to get up" and she gets out of bed to go downstairs or other things she understands very well. I don't see that level of intelligence in other breeds. Plus, she is AMAZING with the kids. The 18 month old annoys the heck out of her but she doesn't care.

Other important factors are a dog that plays well with our GSD mix. Pits are notorious for not being good with other dogs. Also, we live in one of the nicest neighborhoods in the city but there is a high crime area not far from us so a good guard dog is also important.

A purebred GSD was on the top of our list but they have so many genetic disorders even from the best breeders around here that I want to stay away from them. The DS has the intelligence but not the problems so they are really appealing to us.
What kind of extensive work will you be planning to do? I have had a few other breeds and really have found them all to be smart and will settle in to your routine and learning cues.

Ds are really not social animals and not good with kids. They are working dog and very intense. THey are not always good with other dogs either. My Sadie does not get along with many other dogs. She gets along with my parents basset hound and my new basset but when I go out of the house, forget it. I can not have her around other dogs. Thalie does not play with other dogs either, She is a trained protection dog so her training involved ignoring everything else except me. Again, she will pay with my parents dog, but not with any other dog I meet in passing.

A ds is really not your average dog. Many you see on here or on FB are mixes or not even DS so it is not a good representation of what a full DS is like. THey are not family dogs, not dogs to just go take to the park and expect to go play. They dont like being poked by kids and not always good with kids.
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

After reading some of your replies I think Chien Berger de Belge would best suit you and your family. They are great with kids, sit around a lot, very smart and good protectors. Welcome to the "Pointy Ear Nation", Just kidding, sort of. I agree with "ring girl" a Hollandse Herder is not for everyone, they aren't fireplace dogs, don't do well with kids and other dogs. They don't like sitting around and watching you work, they want to work. They can have "over the top" drive and be very reactive and do most things at mach 1 speed. So as wonderful as it sounds ,may not be for you, they are Loud, Dark and Violent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and a little out of control on their very best day.
Roger
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:, they are Loud, Dark and Violent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and a little out of control on their very best day.
HAHAHAH That is perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

I have never considered a Belgian Shepherd but I will look into them more. Not a big fan of long hair, are there short hair varieties? We are actually a very athletic family. Lots of camping, swimming, jogging and hiking. Our dogs go everywhere with us.

In an effort to learn and understand what you are seeing, MultiPurposeK9, I took another shot and need some help with the head shape. All I see is some sort of Shepherd, no pit. Not saying I question you, I just want to understand more.
20161021_204754.jpg
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

that is very dark, can you take another picture with more light? Her face is blocky, not long and sleek like a shepherd

There are plenty of breeds that are active and would love to go camping and hiking with you that will suit you better. DS are dogs that need to work, not just hang out until you go for a hike. ANy long legged breed that is more suited to family life is better.
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Have you ever seen a Dutch Shepherd in person? Have you put your hands on one? Have you stepped back and just observed the dog? If you have you would know. Anke head is square, she doesn't have a defined stop of her muzzle, her ears are erect to some point but, remember "pointy ear nation". I see 10 or more dutchies a week and have for some time almost all KNPV lines, imports and domestics and although its hard for you to tell
for me and many on this board it is very easy to recognize. Pictures can be difficult but, there are some visual cue's that photography just can't hide, Look at the photo contest pics and look at Lykos head, although he has a tug in his mouth, his head and ears are totally different. Look a1t Radars head, muzzle and ears, look at Sadie and Thalie. I know its difficult for a novice to see but, the differences are very visable to us.
Roger
calizspeedz
Just Whelped

Post by calizspeedz »

No, never seen a Dutch in person. A lot of GSD and some Mal. Here is the side profile. Do you see any sort of shepherd at all?
20161022_165939.jpg
20161022_165849.jpg
20161022_165824.jpg
20161022_165110.jpg
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

no, I dont see dutch. Like Multi said. We are around DS all day, and have experience with so many of them that it is easy to recognize them. Being around GSD is nothing like having DS dogs, they are very different.
ImageImage
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

by any sort of shepherd i dont think they mean dutch, just any shepherd type dog. somewhere in the mix maybe theres a little gsd aswell as the pit and whatever else, who knows for certain. it would be a shame to give them up they seem like a great dog
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P