Is Anke a Dutchie?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Is Anke a Dutchie?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

give up?? Give up who??

I really dont think there is shepherd in her. I dont understand what the big deal is. She is beautiful and sounds like a wonderful dog. That is all that matters.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
calizspeedz
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a GSD mix and possible Dutchie.

Post by calizspeedz »

Dutchringgirl wrote:give up?? Give up who??

I really dont think there is shepherd in her. I dont understand what the big deal is. She is beautiful and sounds like a wonderful dog. That is all that matters.
She is on a foster with the option to adopt because she's being treated for heartworm. Taking in a dog is a lifelong commitment for me and some sort of Shepherd is a requirement for our family. I need a dog that will respond to us the way our current GSD mix does. We need an intelligent dog that will continually work with the training we provide. Every member of our family works with our dogs everyday.

We entertain and travel a lot with our dogs and train them well so there is little to no concern about their response in the various environments we subject them to. A pit is out of the question. Pits have a tendency to turn on other dogs and don't respond well to more advanced training. From my experience they just don't have the drive or the intelligence.

The rescue's vet said she was a GSD mix, so did our vet and you can impose the breed standard silhouette directly over the top of the last set of pics and she's a dead match. I guess I only see what I want to see and got taken by the rescue. She is a sweet girl but I am seriously concerned that as a pit without any shepherd, she will end up being a problem for us in the long term. She will probably be going back on Wednesday when I have to take her for her checkup and we will try to find a decent breeder out of state.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you are counting out many other wonderful breeds to have a shepherd as a requirement. That I dont understand. You have no idea what this breed is like

I hike and mountain bike a lot and see so many other breeds out with their humans. and like I said, I have two and they are so different that you dont know what you will get.

You asked for my opinion. I dont believe she has any DS in her. Mulit also agreed and I respect his opinion as well.

You are bent to believing she is. You are going to believe the rescue and a vet over people who have so much more experience. So at this point i am going to step out of this conversation.

Good luck in your choice.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

could you send a few pictures of her feet? I have looked again at all of the pics and she is beautiful and after sharing the pics with a few dog guys the answer is GSD/LAB/Pit X. Another reason not to be Dutch is they are not common, the owners who have them don't let them run wild and breed other dogs and the chances of one getting out and finding another one out and breed is very remote but................what part of California do you live in?
If she is all you say she is in personality and behavior consider yourself lucky, train her up and she will be all you could wish for in a dog regardless of pedigree. At the end of the day she is your friend and your protector
and for that she deserves all of your best.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
calizspeedz
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I have a GSD mix and possible Dutchie.

Post by calizspeedz »

MultiPurposeK9 wrote:could you send a few pictures of her feet? I have looked again at all of the pics and she is beautiful and after sharing the pics with a few dog guys the answer is GSD/LAB/Pit X. Another reason not to be Dutch is they are not common, the owners who have them don't let them run wild and breed other dogs and the chances of one getting out and finding another one out and breed is very remote but................what part of California do you live in?
If she is all you say she is in personality and behavior consider yourself lucky, train her up and she will be all you could wish for in a dog regardless of pedigree. At the end of the day she is your friend and your protector
and for that she deserves all of your best.
Sorry for the delayed reply, business is booming right now. It's funny you say Lab in there because her view head on feels a bit lab, pit makes sense but I don't see the pit jaw or body. I know Dutchies are rare but I thought it was a possibility. Her head profile is identical to Lothar http://www.chercarkennels.net/lothar.html.

I am no longer in California, moved in 2013. I was in Orange county for 10 years but moved back to NY where my family is from. It is difficult to run a business or raise a family in California. Not that NY is that much better but at least I have family here.

It was quite hard to get shots of her paws, it took me all day. She literally bounces like a gazelle in the yard and refuses to walk around my other shepherd, she bounces over her. Hopefully these pics help. I really appreciate you taking another look.
20161028_160216.jpg
20161028_100131.jpg
20161028_100106.jpg
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

Thanks for the pictures. Those are typical "chicken feet" which helps quite a bit. Again, we are going to go with German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever and Pit. After that it could be anything brindle, boxer etc. Put her on a Klimb, train her up and she will be awesome.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
AmberGirl
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Owner of a Dutch Shepherd mix that we rescued in Feb 2016

Post by AmberGirl »

Based on the height and weight as well as her features she looks like she could be some sort of a Carolina Dog mix, maybe with Dutchie, Mountain Cur, Plott hound or Terrier, where she may have gotton her brindle coat. Great looking pup either way!