Foster dog advertised as DS mix

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Foster dog advertised as DS mix

Post by brindledog »

I'm fostering a 7.5 month old dog listed by the shelter as a DS/GSD mix. He had parvo at 2.5 months old. I don't know if that's why his back end is emaciated or if it's due to poor nutrition or possibly HD, but in any event, he's oddly proportioned with a large head, large paws and an underdeveloped hindquarters (as well as all his lower ribs sticking out). His back end is weak.

A trainer I know is going to be working with one of his littermates and we were trying to figure out if these dogs really have any DS in them or not. This guy is the friendliest dog I've ever cared for. If I leave him for a few minutes outside a store, I come out to find a crowd around him with everyone rubbing his belly and cooing at him. That does not strike me as very DS...

At times he looks very much DS, at others not at all. From the side I think his muzzle and build looks more like a great dane. But he'd be awfully small for a GSD/dane mix. (currently only about 54 lbs and 23").

He is NOT particularly athletic, but not sure if that's due to the weak hindquarters or not. He has leaped on to some higher furniture, but in such an ungraceful manner that it's hard to imagine he's DS!

Thoughts? Again, this is a foster dog, so not invested in the answer but am curious.
Attachments
kilo side.jpg
kilo face profile.jpg
kilo chair.jpg
kilo table.jpg
kilo table down.jpg
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Foster dog advertised as DS mix

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Really hard to tell at 7.5 months as he's still growing so will be oddly proportioned for a bit. But that head is excessive. Right now I would hazard mix (maybe GSD/Dane? Seems too oddly build for GSD/pit), less so on the DS spectrum as that build just seems less DS to me, but he may even out later. I have seen a few Corso/DS mixes and Press/DS mixes (known parentage on both mixes) that his build sort of reminds me of. Where was he picked up?

Are you thinking about strengthening the back end or waiting for more muscle development before trying?
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)