Is she a dutchy?!?!

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Bondo
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Koa - dutch shep
Milly - jack russel/chihuahua (alpha!!!)

Is she a dutchy?!?!

Post by Bondo »

Hello from Asheville, NC! I got my girl Koa almost 2 years ago now and she is the best dog a guy could hope for! She was rescued from a kill-shelter in TN and I got her around 9 months old. She is 3 now and probably smarter than me! I bring her to work with me all the time and she is a perfect jobsite dog.

There is a breeder of LHDS in TN and I emailed him pictures to which he said "no way one of my dogs was in a shelter. She's too small. Also her ear droops and that is a sign that she is not pure-bred."

I have looked at many pictures and she looks the part. She only has dew claws on the front, which I read is a DS thing. She stands about 24" at the shoulder and weighs 52lbs, also in the wheelhouse for DS.

I also read that long hairs are quite rare in the US, which makes me think maybe she's just the prettiest mutt ever! Thoughts? Should I get a DNA test?

Thanks for the help!
Dan

Attachments
9 months old
9 months old
FB_IMG_1487129020675.jpg
FB_IMG_1487129006689.jpg
FB_IMG_1487127591862.jpg
6 or 7 months old. She has gotten much darker
6 or 7 months old. She has gotten much darker
Last edited by Bondo on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bondo
Just Whelped

Re: Is she a dutchy?!?!

Post by Bondo »

One more for fun.. she can almost do selfies

Attachments
FB_IMG_1487127612513.jpg
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Just an FYI - the Dutch Shepherd is not in the DNA database, so you won't be able to determine it from the test (save your money).

The long hair makes looking at overall shape a difficult task. Perhaps a couple of pictures of her standing front, left and right might help some of the experts here.

Welcome - and thanks for rescuing
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Awesome dog regardless! I'm a carpenter, and I REALLY mud bringing my dogs to work with me all the time.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

she could be a long hair DS, I love the fire pit too !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Bondo
Just Whelped

Post by Bondo »

Hopefully these pics help a little more! Once again, she is 24" tall at the shoulders and weighs about 52 lbs. Thanks for the input!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1487699920268.jpg
FB_IMG_1487699908616.jpg
FB_IMG_1487699926761.jpg
FB_IMG_1487699933366.jpg