Does Duke strike you as Dutch Shepherd?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Does Duke strike you as Dutch Shepherd?

Post by Duke »

Hi all,

This is Duke, if you haven't seen my post in the new members forum, there's a little back story to how I adopted this handsome, majestic.... dutch shepherd? Please let me know what you think, here are a few facts.

Male - neutered
11 Months old
65 lbs
super soft full coat, and undercoat that has proven itself weatherproof.
Tall, long legs [excuse me for not having measurements].

Here's when he was a little guy 6 months

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Does Duke strike you as Dutch Shepherd?

Post by centrop67 »

Ears, body shape, and stripes say probably some DS there. The amount of white means probably a mix.

I think. Let's hear from some others...
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

For some reason, one of the things I always notice is the pasterns(wrist section). The length and angle of Duke's pasterns looks like GSD to me. And there's something about the hind legs that reminds me of my huskies. Anyone know if Akitas come in brindle? The head looks all shepherd to me.
He's a handsome boy regardless!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

i think he might have some dutch shepherd in there, also maybe something heavy coated like an akita or husky?
do you have any other photos of him just standing up straight from the side? i see just the slightest bit of a dip in his rear that makes me think he could have some Alsatian in there that would account for the fluffyness too, but it could just be the angle:)
it a bit hard to tell with him still being a puppy though, you could re evaluate a year and a half old or so and see if his proportions have changed.
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Post by Duke »

Thanks for the replies guys, here are a few more pictures that might give angles.

*The floor is being redone*

HOTEL, he's not warranted in bedrooms at the house, nor does he have any interest really in being in our bed. He's quite independent, which is awesome. :DSangel:

karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

I'm not sure what breed or breeds he may be but that is a great looking dog. I love the markings. I also love the laying on the bed pic. He is stunning.
Karen & Xander
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

karenz wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:20 am I'm not sure what breed or breeds he may be but that is a great looking dog. I love the markings. I also love the laying on the bed pic. He is stunning.
That's very nice of you to say karenz. Thank you, I'm excited to see your pup/pups in the forums
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

Great looking dog ;-) I am thinking German Shepherd meets Akita... :)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Marjolein wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm Great looking dog ;-) I am thinking German Shepherd meets Akita... :)

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY any new pictures ????
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

:DScool: Hi! Sure, on my site and fb :mrgreen:
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oooh ooh Ill go check !!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog

Post by Duke »

Marjolein wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm Great looking dog ;-) I am thinking German Shepherd meets Akita... :)
Thanks Marj! Everybody is excited to have you back online. Despite not knowing you, I've seen a lot of your posts and dogs online. I felt honored when you responded to that PM about Dingo. I'm so happy the dogs are doing so well at this age