Thoughts on what he could be?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
evold
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: fashion student/atlas- rescue mix/Noah- min pin daschund mix.

Thoughts on what he could be?

Post by evold »

Hi everyone!
Mostly trying to figure out my pups breed since we're moving to a state with Breed Specific Laws in a couple of months and trying to avoid the whole pits//pit mixes are vicious bullshit.
We adopted Atlas October of 2016 from the pound in zaynesville, OH. They had him for about 25 days and didn't give us any back story. They guessed he was about a year old and some sort of shepherd mix possibly pit mix. We had him neutered 2 weeks later. He was 40 lbs then and by December until now has stayed at a solid 50lbs.
His overall coloring seems a little light combined with white nails and short hair to be a full Dutch Shepherd, but a lot of his other characteristics after reading through the posts here make me think twice about him being a mix with one. (But what's the other mixed in part πŸ€”πŸ˜”)
He's a total cuddle bug and has really bad separation anxiety. Left outside his crate when no human is home he wreaks havoc destroying doors, carpeting, curtains. Which you would never think would be the case when you're home because then he doesn't destroy anything other than his dog toys.
He gets along with my 14lb min pin mix(Noah) until Noah gets annoyed and then you have to separate them.
He's really fast and has a crazy amount of energy. When we take him to the dog park he'll swim out to the middle of the pond where he steals toys from other dogs and then out swims/runs them. Total toy hog. He whines when he's in trouble and loses his couch privelages, actually he likes to "talk" a lot in general. He barks at people until they come over and pet him.
My family has owned a lot of different brindled dogs in my lifetime (all in Texas so this one def isn't tied to any of them- all mixes- pitts, labs, beagle, terrier) and he doesn't have any distinctly similar personality traits or overall physical shape to them.
I'm kind of at a loss as to what he could be, we're still gonna try a DNA test for him even though it's mostly hocum. thanks to everyone who read all that and giving me your opinions. I really appreciate it.
IMG_9983.JPG
IMG_9983.JPG (633.3 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
IMG_8704.JPG
IMG_8704.JPG (532.18 KiB) Viewed 4142 times
evold
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: fashion student/atlas- rescue mix/Noah- min pin daschund mix.

Re: Thoughts on what he could be?

Post by evold »

Here's a video of him running around with Noah at the beach.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I see a pit mix. I know you didnt want to hear that but he has a build like them. They do come in brindle as well.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Yup pit mix
evold
Just Whelped

Post by evold »

The opinion is still appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to take a look. πŸ™πŸ»
Still thinking he has any type of shepherd in him? Somebody at the dog park mentioned possibly having greyhound?
For the most part I don't care what he is because his personality overall is really great. It's these BSL's that kill me. But that's probably better left for a pit forum.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I doubt he has any Dutch in there, the brindle is from the pit. We love him of course, but we are dog people and love all breeds.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Just tell them he's a shepherd mix... I highly doubt any Dutchie is in there but they don't need to know that ;)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I had a pit Rottweiler mix. she was all black, I never told anyone she had pit, no one had any problems with her.
ImageImage
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

Post by Duke »

I was going to say pit mixed with some time for shepherd. Nice video, so playful! Don't give in to the crate crying Γ—_Γ—