What? How? Why do they call these dutch shepherds

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Duke
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm Keith, 28 years old born and raised outside Chicago. I adopted Duke, the Dutch Shepherd from a Chicago foster based rescue. Duke had an unfortunate first 2 months of his upbringing but he's been a prince around here ever since.

Healthy, happy, energetic, and super social.

What? How? Why do they call these dutch shepherds

Post by Duke »

http://www.adoptapet.com/dog-adoption/s ... mily_id=47

I'm just out browsing around [done so before] and it just seems like every dog is a Dutch now
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: What? How? Why do they call these dutch shepherds

Post by Dutchringgirl »

its the brindle color. they get better results than saying pitt mix,
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
CoraCorva
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just on here because I'm curious if my supposed Dutch Shepherd/pitbull mix actually has any DS appearance! I also have a GSD/malamute and I work at a farm with 2 awesome and very smart LGDs.

Post by CoraCorva »

I volunteer at a shelter, and that's literally what they do. A lot of people will avoid great dogs, even if they're good with children, obedience trained, and housebroken, if they have even an ounce of pitbull. They shelter I volunteer at will do stuff like call all black pit mixes "Labrador retriever mixes", and called one white pitbull with two spots on her ears a "Dalmatian mix". You can question the ethics of it all you like, but the truth is, it saves dogs. People like hearing they have some fancy special breed - that's why everyone with a mutt comes here asking if it's a Dutch Shepherd. Cuz they want it to be something special - and pitbulls ain't.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

CoraCorva wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:33 am I volunteer at a shelter, and that's literally what they do. A lot of people will avoid great dogs, even if they're good with children, obedience trained, and housebroken, if they have even an ounce of pitbull. They shelter I volunteer at will do stuff like call all black pit mixes "Labrador retriever mixes", and called one white pitbull with two spots on her ears a "Dalmatian mix". You can question the ethics of it all you like, but the truth is, it saves dogs. People like hearing they have some fancy special breed - that's why everyone with a mutt comes here asking if it's a Dutch Shepherd. Cuz they want it to be something special - and pitbulls ain't.
That's complete BS that it happens!! People should know what they are getting into! When people lie about one thing I question everything they say! And not for nothing if they are getting a pit mix it should be labeled as such! If they are doing this on purpose what other things are they lying about? Dogs good with kids? Yeah ok he's also a dutch shepherd mix? Lol they get this dutch shepherd mix it attacks dogs then they say dutch shepherds are dog aggressive no your shelter lied and you got a pitbull! Or worse their insurance company wants a picture and says looks too much like a pitbull mix and boom you loose your insurance or fluffy goes back to the pound! It's not so innocent!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Ps no dog is more special because of the breed it's the temperament! I'm a professional dog trainer that works with several rescues and I call the dogs I have for training what they are! I've seen so many issues come from people lying about dogs being something other than what they are to hide the pit
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:27 pm Ps no dog is more special because of the breed it's the temperament! I'm a professional dog trainer that works with several rescues and I call the dogs I have for training what they are! I've seen so many issues come from people lying about dogs being something other than what they are to hide the pit
This could not be more true !!! There have been posts on here about people not having a clue of what they have and there are severe consequences !! I have seen major bites and death of cats because they think they have this cool dog but what they have is an untrained protection dog that does not know how to behave.

that could be negligence as well. Thats like saying, " oh,here is a lolly pop " but its actually a gun
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:50 pm
Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:27 pm Ps no dog is more special because of the breed it's the temperament! I'm a professional dog trainer that works with several rescues and I call the dogs I have for training what they are! I've seen so many issues come from people lying about dogs being something other than what they are to hide the pit
This could not be more true !!! There have been posts on here about people not having a clue of what they have and there are severe consequences !! I have seen major bites and death of cats because they think they have this cool dog but what they have is an untrained protection dog that does not know how to behave.

that could be negligence as well. Thats like saying, " oh,here is a lolly pop " but its actually a gun
If you have to lie or mislead anyone in life it's never good!!! Trust me I've learned that the hard way over the years with all aspects of life
Tennessee3
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Nicholas or Nick, doesn't matter to me.

Post by Tennessee3 »

Cause pit bull is a bad word to alot of people these days, including myself sadly.

I've got scars on my leg from a dog that was friendly, wagging it's tail, licking my hand, I went to the bathroom, and the dog eventually followed me in there and bit me with no provocation. (It's a longer story than that, but the main elements are there)

I'm not irrational in my dislike, I take dogs on a case by case basis, and I know a true well bred pitbull should be utterly safe even with an obnoxious toddler, but I wouldn't get one from the pound with unknown provenance cause of the experiences I've had.

And they're trying to save lives as they see it, would you lie to save a life?
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

...... Mals are tan dutchies, right?

https://www.instagram.com/nick_millie_and_grendel/
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 pm Cause pit bull is a bad word to alot of people these days, including myself sadly.

I've got scars on my leg from a dog that was friendly, wagging it's tail, licking my hand, I went to the bathroom, and the dog eventually followed me in there and bit me with no provocation. (It's a longer story than that, but the main elements are there)

I'm not irrational in my dislike, I take dogs on a case by case basis, and I know a true well bred pitbull should be utterly safe even with an obnoxious toddler, but I wouldn't get one from the pound with unknown provenance cause of the experiences I've had.

Not if it puts someone in danger or someone's dog! So the lie works 99% of the time to save a life... what about that 1% where someone gets chewed up or the dogs dangerous in the wrong hands and gets euthanized or a neighbors dog gets hurt or killed! It's not worth it! Tell people what it is so they can properly be prepared!
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

i work with 3 rescues if you see my IG you'll see me training tons of pits and pit mixes! I believe with the right fit a dog can have a good home but to lie knowing you are lying about the breed it does 2 things it doesn't allow for the new owner to be prepared say they think they are getting a "Lab" mix and it's actually a pitbull and they take it around and do things a lab owner would do and dangerous situation happens or it give the dutch shepherd a bad name (which isn't really a bad thing) from people calling it a dutchie when it's a pitbull
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Steve Gossmeyer wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:17 pm
Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 pm Cause pit bull is a bad word to alot of people these days, including myself sadly.

Not if it puts someone in danger or someone's dog! So the lie works 99% of the time to save a life... what about that 1% where someone gets chewed up or the dogs dangerous in the wrong hands and gets euthanized or a neighbors dog gets hurt or killed! It's not worth it! Tell people what it is so they can properly be prepared!
I agree, but not everyone is so practical unfortunately when it comes to "fur babies"
Nicholas

Millie WLGSD in training for Schutzhund 5/27/17 & Grendel KNPV lines Malinois same + PP work 2/15/18

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 pm

No way ! because people do not understand what damage an untrained DS can do. So the kennel lies and the person gets the dog and the dog attacks
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:28 pm

No way ! because people do not understand what damage an untrained DS can do. So the kennel lies and the person gets the dog and the dog attacks
Just presenting the mentality that causes this, not agreeing with it. Don't shoot the messenger :D
Nicholas

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:33 pm

Just presenting the mentality that causes this, not agreeing with it. Don't shoot the messenger :D
I wont shoot you... Ill send send my messenger ...........sadie HAHAHAHAHA

No , I do get why. I understand but I still do not think its the right thing to do. Its not like the complaints I hear about people who dont know about Basset hounds then get one, then they complain that they pull them on the leash, or dont come when called. But none of that will severely hurt anyone. A ds in the wrong hands will not end well.
ImageImage
Tennessee3
Green Dog

Post by Tennessee3 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:36 pm
Tennessee3 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:33 pm

I wont shoot you... Ill send send my messenger ...........sadie HAHAHAHAHA

No , I do get why. I understand but I still do not think its the right thing to do. Its not like the complaints I hear about people who dont know about Basset hounds then get one, then they complain that they pull them on the leash, or dont come when called. But none of that will severely hurt anyone. A ds in the wrong hands will not end well.
I'd prefer you shoot me, somewhere non vital, then send crack dog after me :lol:
Nicholas

CoraCorva
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just on here because I'm curious if my supposed Dutch Shepherd/pitbull mix actually has any DS appearance! I also have a GSD/malamute and I work at a farm with 2 awesome and very smart LGDs.

Post by CoraCorva »

A lot of it has to do with shelter workers not knowing much about dog breeds, too. Two kinds of people know a lot about dog breeds in my experience: teenage girls and dog show folks. Plus, it's really hard to judge what breeds a mix is from. There was a study a while back that found people mistook non-pitbull mixes for pit bulls quite frequently. Blocky head, brindle, and everyone jumps to pitbull.

Anyways, I see a lot of people here getting worried about people not knowing what they're getting ("They'll unexpectedly get a dangerous pitbull or shepherd instead of the hound or lab mix they were sold!!!11!"), but that's not how the adoption process works. Aggressive dogs get killed. Period. The breed is really an after-thought for shelter staff, who advertise and counsel prospective owners based on the dog's personality and behavior. A gentle, calm dog that's good with kids will be recommended to families, while an active, driven dog will be recommended to a jogger who's interested in agility trials. You know what you're getting with an adult dog more than you would by adopting a puppy of a given breed.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

People should just not lie. In the end it, often doesn't work out well. I bet we have found this to be true. It often makes things worse.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG