July Photo of the Month Winner
Theme: Action
Pictured: Zoey
Submitted by: Borellar15
Zoey Loves Swimming

New option for posting images: Image

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.
August Theme is Hiking

Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

July Runner Up
Pictured: Karma
Submitted by: Wes Thomas

Our puppy Pharah!

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
thesecession
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Greg

Anxiously waiting a dna test for a rescue pup. Can't keep her if shes a pure dutchie.

Our puppy Pharah!

Post by thesecession » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:00 am

Hi all,

We rescued this 10 week old girl from a shelter in Venice, CA. They guessed at her being a GSD / Pit but someone stopped us at a park and said she might be a DS. She's pretty calm for a puppy so far but certainly has her crazy moments :P

Unfortunately we don't think we could handle a dutchie's energy, as much as we love her.

Photos
https://imgur.com/a/b6HEw

Thanks a billion,

Greg

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Accidental DS rescuer. Human companion to Radar and Leela. Owner of the site, looking to make this the top site for information and discussion on Dutch Shepherds.

Re: Our puppy Pharah!

Post by centrop67 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Welcome to the forum :wtg:

Looking at the snout, ears, and tail on Pharah, I think the initial thought of GSD/Pit may be more accurate than any DS. Of course, there's other brindle breeds that me be the source of the coloring.

I know your waiting for DNA results, so you'll have maybe a clearer picture soon.
thesecession wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:00 am
Unfortunately we don't think we could handle a dutchie's energy, as much as we love her.
Yes, a DS has been described as a GSD on crack or a Velociraptor, but I caution you that a GSD can be challenging as well.

How long have you had Pharah? I know you said crazy at times, but that sounds like all pups. What kind of crazy?
Michael
The pack -> Radar (DS), Leela (Mal?), and Karen (Human) - Cutler Bay, FL USA
RIP: Tequila and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Pit mix not a dutchie

thesecession
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Greg

Anxiously waiting a dna test for a rescue pup. Can't keep her if shes a pure dutchie.

Post by thesecession » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:06 pm

centrop67 wrote: ↑
Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:38 pm
How long have you had Pharah? I know you said crazy at times, but that sounds like all pups. What kind of crazy?
Thanks for the advice!
We've had her for a week now. We were looking for a medium energy breed to better suit our lifestyle but she fell into our lap while a friend was fostering her. A stranger we met was convinced she was a dutchie but now we're not worried about it. She seems like a normal pup energy wise