Miles Dutch Shepherd?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
piotrzaremba
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: None

Miles Dutch Shepherd?

Post by piotrzaremba »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and wanted to confirm the breed of my rescue dog. Below I have posted pictures of Miles. He is 11 months old. I rescued him from a shelter roughly 2 months ago and love the dog to death. The shelter told me that he is a DS or a DS mix. When I took him to the Vet which has had a variety of Shepherds she told me that he was either a full DS with a genetic rarity based on his white chest, a DS/Belgian Mal mix which can also cause the white chest, or a DS with some type of mix. His drive level can vary from medium to low, he definitely does not have the drive level that I would expect from a normal DS. That might be because I am his 4th home and he as realized he needs to "relax" a bit or idk. When he wants to go he can go and for long periods of time far exceeding the energy level of most of the dogs at doggy daycare. He has even gotten strikes for playing a bit to "aggressive" with the other dogs at doggy daycare. He did not play in a violent way he just wants to play and the other dogs get tried so they snap at him to stop. I am moving him to a higher energy level daycare. He makes chewbacca noises when he sees cats. He has a manic hours where he will sprint up and down the stairs to chase his anthers. I do live in a townhouse so I don't have a backyard currently but I do give him 4 walks a day with a backpack and tons of time during the weekends. He is extremely smart. He does talk back when I come home. He is finally semi crate trained after two months of going ballistic in his crate, he had lots of separation anxiety, brisket finally helped solve that. So what I am looking for is insight into what you guys think he is. Here are several photos please let me know what you think.
Attachments
IMG_4159.JPG
IMG_4159.JPG (53.96 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4198.JPG
IMG_4198.JPG (863.55 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG (817.07 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG (863.92 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4179.jpg
IMG_4179.jpg (539.37 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4151.JPG
IMG_4151.JPG (804.02 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4119.JPG
IMG_4119.JPG (721.68 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_4116.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG (54.17 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg (730.86 KiB) Viewed 128952 times
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: Miles Dutch Shepherd?

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

That's a dutch shepherd
piotrzaremba
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: None

Post by piotrzaremba »

Thanks for the confirmation Steve. Do you think he is mixed with anything just based on his looks. Just curious I love this dog reguardless. I do thank that his energy level is less then that of what I have seen on these forums and videos. Don’t think I could handle a normal DS. Also I am joining a Live Find Search and Rescue team. Do you or anyone on the forums have experience with a DS as a live find dog?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

my super 8 ball said .................." you have a DS"
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

piotrzaremba wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:31 pm Thanks for the confirmation Steve. Do you think he is mixed with anything just based on his looks. Just curious I love this dog reguardless. I do thank that his energy level is less then that of what I have seen on these forums and videos. Don’t think I could handle a normal DS. Also I am joining a Live Find Search and Rescue team. Do you or anyone on the forums have experience with a DS as a live find dog?
As long as the tempenent is good with people and strangers you should have a very fun time. Find a good quality group to train with