Is Riley a Dutch Shepherd...What do you think?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
RileyYoung
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I live in Los Angeles with our mystery rescue puppy, Riley. We believe she's got some shepherd in her, and we'd love it if she was a dutch shepherd, but we're just not sure yet! She's bright, playful, and powerful at just 5 months, so we're looking forward to seeing what she's like when she's full grown!

Is Riley a Dutch Shepherd...What do you think?

Post by RileyYoung »

We adopted Riley from Much Love Rescue in LA, she was dropped off at a South LA shelter with her sister, and we adopted her when she was 3.5 months old (I really wish we could find her sister too!).

Now she's 5 months, 41 lbs (I think we may be feeding her too much...), and has ears that are up and alert when she is, but flopped over when she's relaxed.

SO. Is she a dutch shepherd? The shelter called her a Pitbull German Shepherd mix, which may be right... but we don't see the pit in her other than the brindle coloring and occasional camera angle when her ears are flopped. We sent out an Embark DNA swab and are awaiting results, but I feel like a fool because there is no Dutch Shepherd on their breed list! I'm thinking of doing Wisdom Panel now (because this forum seems to stand by it), but their list doesn't seem to have Dutch Shepherds either so I'm not sure if it's not worth it... Anyways, I'd love all and any input!

She is very athletic (can jump like a beast, and is very fearless when it comes to heights) and super smart. We had her potty trained at 4 months thanks to bell training (that took 10 minutes to teach her) and a big (for LA at least) back yard we're lucky to have. She's SUCH a good puppy, she'll only tear up things or get into trouble if she's bored, so we've fixed that easily with plenty of stimulating toys and play breaks where we run her.

When we first got her she was silent and eventually developed a little squeak-whine that sounds like a bird tweeting. She's started using her voice a little more in play only, as she's gained confidence playing and responds to other barkers...

We are planning on bringing her to more intensive training soon, as our sit, down, roll over, and shake are too basic for her. We're thinking on starting hide and seek training and we'll see what our training facility gets her on though... However she isn't great on coming immediately on command or call, especially when distracted which we're working on.

If you look in the pictures, she was shorter at 4 months, but she's gotten much taller now (and rounder, again, because we may be feeding her too much, fancy puppy food, 2 cups three times a day... yikes I thought it was 1.5 cups three times a day but just measured...)

We're obsessed with Riley, so I'm sorry for all the probably irrelevant details we just LOVE HER SO MUCH and I could just brag about her allllllll day.
Attachments
IMG_8390.jpg
IMG_8390.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 3028 times
IMG_8372.JPG
IMG_8372.JPG (376.58 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
IMG_8222.JPG
IMG_8222.JPG (258.75 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
IMG_8171.jpg
IMG_8171.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3029 times
oddbird
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a rescue that we have been told is a shepherd of some sort. He has totally disrupted our lives and I am loving every minute of it!

Re: Is Riley a Dutch Shepherd...What do you think?

Post by oddbird »

I am not an expert by any means, I have the same question about my pup, but her head in the first picture does look like a pit to me. She sure is a cutie!
Bird & Henry (Long-hair DS): Figuring out this working dog life together
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I think the shelter may have been pretty accurate with the pit/gsd mix.

Unfortunately, I don't think Embark has the Dutch Shepherd in their DNA database yet, so even if there is DS it won't tell you. Wisdom is the only one I know right now that has DS.

Thanks for rescuing :wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
RileyYoung
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I live in Los Angeles with our mystery rescue puppy, Riley. We believe she's got some shepherd in her, and we'd love it if she was a dutch shepherd, but we're just not sure yet! She's bright, playful, and powerful at just 5 months, so we're looking forward to seeing what she's like when she's full grown!

Post by RileyYoung »

Thanks for the input guys! I'm excited to see how she turns out looking. I'm bummed about the Embark test, but maybe it won't matter if she's not a dutch shepherd after all! I'll be updating with photos and results, so more soon!
brindledog
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I love Shepherds- German, Dutch and Belgian. I recently lost my 16.5 y/o GSD mix and was hoping to find a GSD or DS mix. I totally lucked out in finding Grendel, a DS/GSD mix at 9.5 weeks old. She was filthy and flea-ridden, but still the cutest, craziest thing ever. She's going to live up to her name! First dog I've had that I've actually seen the parents and definitely know what she is!

Post by brindledog »

What did the Embark results say?
RileyYoung
Just Whelped

Post by RileyYoung »

I'm STILL waiting on the results. Super frustrating, but I'll update as soon as they get back to me!
RileyYoung
Just Whelped

Post by RileyYoung »

We finally got the results—She's 50/50 a German Shepherd American Pit Bull Terrier mix!