Teaching to bark at someone?

Discussion of Protection in the various sports
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Teaching to bark at someone?

Post by Tyler Durden »

Hey,

Protection training is going well, but my boy doesn't really "turn up" to his full 100% barking at the decoy. I've seen him bark at other things with ferocity (more so than most bark and hold videos), but at the decoy he would go to about 30% of his potential. My trainer says not to worry because it shows he has a clear head and doesn't get stressed in the face of danger but I would really love for him to be a bit more "reckless" with his alert bark. I would like to know what methods you guys used to bring that out of their dogs. By the way he would bark ferociously at a neighbors bitch who was behind a fence, neither my dog or my neighbors is fixed so he might have been stressed that he couldn't get to the bitch.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Teaching to bark at someone?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

im not sure I understand, do you want him to bark on command or just get more juice out of him?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Tyler Durden
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I have always had german shepherds but I am new to dutch shepherds. I hope to get a new pup shortly and look forward to learning and sharing my experience.

Post by Tyler Durden »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm im not sure I understand, do you want him to bark on command or just get more juice out of him?
I thought I was clear, he barks at 30% at the decoy...I want to get more juice out of him.
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

It will come with time! Stick to one decoy and let him develop the dog! Rushing things is not good in dog training... my dog went from barely barking to 100 barks in the blind... be patient
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Tyler Durden wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 am
Dutchringgirl wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:08 pm im not sure I understand, do you want him to bark on command or just get more juice out of him?
I thought I was clear, he barks at 30% at the decoy...I want to get more juice out of him.
Your title stated " teaching to bark at someone" So hence, the confusion
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Indi
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: KNPV Dutchy girl – Racy
KNPV Dutchy boy – Tiger

RIP old mate, 18-year-old GSD Indi :(

Post by Indi »

Tyler Durden wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:45 pm Hey,

Protection training is going well, but my boy doesn't really "turn up" to his full 100% barking at the decoy. I've seen him bark at other things with ferocity (more so than most bark and hold videos), but at the decoy he would go to about 30% of his potential. My trainer says not to worry because it shows he has a clear head and doesn't get stressed in the face of danger but I would really love for him to be a bit more "reckless" with his alert bark. I would like to know what methods you guys used to bring that out of their dogs. By the way he would bark ferociously at a neighbors bitch who was behind a fence, neither my dog or my neighbors is fixed so he might have been stressed that he couldn't get to the bitch.
I think you're trainer's right. I've got a german shepherd that only arced up when things got serious. During PP, the dog would tend to bark only as a warning, only stepping it up as the decoy stepped it up in a more threatening manner. It wasn't until I left my wife with the dog one day when we were out for a walk and saw a couple of young guys approach her (they were drunk and wanted to pat the dog) while I was across the road that the dog really went hard at them (to the extent of his leash).

Some people look at a dog like that during PP and think it lacks drive or presence. But I like a dog with a clear head that doesn't bark or get aggressive at the drop of a hat. That's a dog that thinks before it acts and knows how to assess a threat. Sounds like you have a good dog.
Tyler Durden
Puppy

Post by Tyler Durden »

I know it's been a while but thanks for the input.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

Generally the dog barks on alert, then you send them to bite.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Tyler,

How is training going overall? Any pictures?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:25 pm Tyler,

How is training going overall? Any pictures?

You actually think he still comes to this site ?
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

No. But I am ever hopeful ;)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs