Energy Buster

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Energy Buster

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

I know we've talked about it before (I think Lisa is the one who originally mentioned it in a post) but the Boomer balls are AMAZING. I picked one up after reading her recommendation and it's fantastic. Hendrix doesn't want to stop playing with and I have to pry it away from him.

Another great addition to that is the Jolly Egg in 10". Almost the same size as the Boomer ball but different shape. Hendrix and friend's puppy go insane for this one too. Just be aware this can and will fit under things and may get stuck. I've gotten a few swats to the head as a frustrated puppy and I try to dig it free from under the dresser.

Great options if it's rainy muddy weather and I need a quick energy buster to take the edge off.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Energy Buster

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Wasnt me but I think I may have to get one for Sadie!!!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

I bought the "egg ball" for Thor a few years ago...it's supposed to "squirt" out of a dog's mouth if they try to latch onto it, which is great fun. I bought the big one. About the second time it squirted out of Thor's mouth, he decided he wouldn't have any of that nonsense, and he got his jaws around it. The ball doesn't have any give; I was worried his jaws might get locked around it. I ended up taking it away; he refused to just chase it or play with it. (If I got the smaller one, it wouldn't have "squirted" and would've been just another ball--just another ball for $20.)

It's advertised (or was) as indestructible on Leerburg. Ours had plenty of tooth holes and dents even with such little use.

It IS a great toy, providing a dog can enjoy it for its original purpose. (Thor = nothing escapes my jaws of death.)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

That's one of the things I worry about with Hilde. Most of her interest in toys centers around the potential for her to destroy them. The other day we found a large beach ball thing that some kid had left behind in the park. She really enjoyed chasing it around. She initially tried to get a bite on it, but it was well-inflated and relatively thick plastic material, so then she would just chase it around trying to nip at it. The strange part was that when she brought it to a stop, she would also stop and just stand next to it (like the high energy switch was just flipped off), until I came along and kicked it to restart the fun. Someone mentioned these large balls appeal to their herding instincts, so I'm wondering if that's what was happening.

Now I'm getting some ideas... I'd like to find some of these large balls that I can somehow get access to the inside. Then, buy a cheap remote-controlled stunt car (the kind that can flip over and still drive), and put that inside the ball... Now you have a remote controlled "sheep" that'll drive these dogs crazy! :ds:
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

Racing Iron,

There's actually a "sport" for dogs using large balls...drawing a blank on the name of it. (Starts with a "t," maybe?) The ball is guided by the dog being given commands. I think there's competitions, too??? You can Google or YouTube it.

I use a smaller kiddie ball with Thor; we sort of play soccer. (He knows it isn't a chew thing.) We bat it around to each other...he pushes it with his nose. I'll say "through" and he'll push it through whatever I'm pointing out/holding, etc. It has its limitations since he can't do anything with it except push, but he has to think to keep from doing what he naturally/normally would do, so that's a good thing.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

racingiron1 wrote:That's one of the things I worry about with Hilde. Most of her interest in toys centers around the potential for her to destroy them.
That is Sadies soul purpose in life.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

It wasn't you Lisa? Hm. Oh well you get partial credit because my brain has attached your name to Boomer ball. Maybe it was Stephanie…?

Hendrix the Felon too… Most toys are put up when done playing so he can't destroy them. He has a plethora of chews and kongs to go after and his new favorite seems to be large water buffalo horns which act as chew/toy for him. He rolls around on the floor with it and then pounces on it. Or drops it off the ottoman for a human to pick up and return to him. :roll:

This is the one I got for him: http://www.amazon.com/Virtually-Indestr ... oomer+ball

But you can also get them direct: http://boomerball.com

These things are pretty sturdy. He's gotten a few good gauges into them but I haven't seen the inside of the ball yet and it's easy enough to sand down any "sharp" edges he may cause. It does look like these things have been through war after two weeks of almost daily use! One of his all time favorites though.

Is it Treibball you're thinking of Sharon? I just googled a list… I want to try like half the list now… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dog_sports
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
NWDS
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I'm in Washington state and have an almost 2 year dutchie, Enzo.

Post by NWDS »

How is the boomer ball holding up? Our weather here is beginning to get a bit more wet and we are looking for things Enzo can occupy himself with when not attached to my hip.
RB and Enzo
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

It was me. We use the Boomer Balls here. I originally started with a Varsity Ball, but the Boomer Balls are a great (and cheaper) alternative. Mine holds up really well except for the color fading. I do run sandpaper over the rough spots some times or Odin will cut his nose or tongue if he's out too long with it.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog

We've been through a few different types of Boomer Balls but for various reasons. The Jolly ball that you can find is horrible - huge hole for the screw to fill it with water or sand. My dude gets his tooth in it and carries it, even weighted. Boomer balls are way better (or I think on Amazon they're called the Indestructible Balls). The second one we have has a ring around it from my guy attempting to carry it and I may eventually get him the 14" just to see if he can manage to carry it. But it's lasted super long. I do know it can wear down their teeth if they like to gnaw on it in attempts to carry it so I use it sparingly, but it's still a HUGE favorite.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)