Voting - 2016 Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd

Home of the year-round contest to find the Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd of the year

Vote for the 2016 Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd

Entry 1 - Hendrix Doing the Dinner Whine
60%
Entry 2 - Riddick Knows How to Cool Off
No votes
Entry 3 - Endeavor Distracts Aurora for the Antler
40%
Entry 4 - Endeavor Earning Trust
No votes

Total votes: 5

centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Voting - 2016 Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd

Post by centrop67 »

Entry 1 - Hendrix Doing the Dinner Whine

Postby Owned-By-Hendrix » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:26 pm
Alright, I will have the honor of being one of the first contestants. And like all good H stories, I have zero proof beyond eye witnesses that this happened, because we were too busy laughing.

So my father was cooking in my kitchen while the family was over, and H was dutifully waiting by him in hopes of scraps. I'm in the living room with the rest of my family. Of course, we are either watching TV or ignoring it in favor of our smart phones.

I hear my dad say, "dinner is ready" just like the good ol' days. However, unlike then, we all have way more important Facebook statuses to update than to run to the kitchen. I'm waiting to see how long this social experiment lasts (okay, I was texting).

My dad tells H, "go tell them dinner is ready! Go tell him!" H comes running into the living room and starts circling us, whining in what seriously sounds like an imitation of "dinner ready", which is two quick whines and a longer whine. No one moves. So H jumps up onto the couch where my brother and I are, standings in my lap, repeats the whine, then stands in my brother's lap, and does the same thing. He then jumps down and runs to one of the chairs and does the same my mother. I'm cracking up. So I stand, say "dinner ready?" and he runs past me doing what I have now called the dinner whine. He doesn't stop until we're all in the kitchen.

Now, the important thing to note about this is 1) I have never taught H a "fetch a person" behavior, and in "go find so-and-so, 2) he's never been told to "go tell them dinner is ready", and 3) he does not know how to whine "dinner ready", which he has never done again. This was a completely new behavior he put together himself.
Kay
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)

Entry 2 - Riddick Knows How to Cool Off

Postby Mark77 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:52 pm
There are a lot of little things my dogs have figured out that I am certain they know what words I'm saying- even just conversational speak. Or when I given them choices, they make a decision on what they want to do. However this actually happened more recently and I never noticed it till just now that Riddick has figured out mechanical stuff around the house as well.

Riddick being the longer haired dog of my three dogs will come inside in the summer to lay on the metal air duct vent in the kitchen. Now the air conditioning system will cycle off or on but no matter what- he knows that if he lays down on that vent, that eventually the air conditioning will come on and help cool him down. So just like clockwork for the past three months that the air has been on, when he comes in the house- he heads straight for the cooling vent in the corner in the kitchen. In fact he's a fixture in that corner all summer long.

So after several months last night and today it has finally gotten cool enough to leave the windows open. So I let the dogs out this morning and Riddick came inside when called as he does but instead of laying in his usual spot on top of the vent in the kitchen- he headed for the living room under the ceiling fan. He didn't even stop to check the vent or nothing. So again, I fed him lunch, let them all out again and he again came inside headed straight for the living room under the ceiling fan. He knows when the windows are open that the air conditioning is off- which is pretty smart that he put that together.

M

Entry 3 - Endeavor Distracts Aurora for the Antler

Postby TimL_168 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:53 pm
Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this is technically "smart" or technically "spite". A week or so ago En had been chewing an antler that I had tucked away under some junk on the porch. We were all eating breakfast outside. She scented the antler and dug it out. That's not the weird part. After a while, Aurora came outside and started nosing around. Aurora hadn't eaten her food (pretty typical in warmer weather for her), and Endeavor knew it. Endeavor got up with her antler piece, walked across the porch and carefully put it back under the dirty dog bed where she had found it. She then walked around the corner into the kitchen and started making noise at Aurora's food bowl. Aurora was quickly drawn to the sound of food in her bowl. After Aurora went in to check on her food, En snuck back out and quickly snagged the antler back out while the big dog was distracted with her food.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor

Entry 4 - Endeavor Earning Trust

Postby TimL_168 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:57 pm
First, the disclaimer: this is really more of a brag than a smarty pants story.
Two Things happened this weekend that surprised the hell out of me. But first, you should know that En's old owner/handler was pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to keep her off the counters or out of the trash. She was also pretty certain that she'd eat the cat. That said, she hasn't gone dumpster diving or counter surfing at all in her new home. But I don't push our luck either. She's Only been free in the house (with Aurora) a few times. Getting To the point, we had Peruvian char broiled chicken for dinner last night. I had to run out while everyone else was eating. I returned to find the human inhabitants gone, two dogs with free roam of the house including the second floor where the cat lives. The two styrofoam containers of chicken were sitting right on the edge of the counter. They were untouched. The trash can was intact. The cat was still alive. The litter box had not been raided. I was amazed that she hadn't gone for the chicken.
The second thing she did was just a few minutes ago. It's really nothing impressive, but it's very significant. I was carrying laundry downstairs and I dropped a sock. I was ten feet from it before I realized I had dropped it. En was following me a usual so I just told her to "take it-bring it".
SHE PICKED IT RIGHT UP and carried it all the way to the washer where she outed it before I could tell her what to do. I was so happy to see her putting her obedience training into something real world and useful!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Voting - 2016 Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd

Post by centrop67 »

I know it takes a while to read through the stories, but only 1 vote so far?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Voting - 2016 Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd

Post by centrop67 »

I know I am constantly begging members for votes on the photo contest.

The underwhelming votes to this contest have me questioning whether to do it again next year, but please keep in mind that I am going to give a $50 gift card to the winner regardless.

PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND VOTE :D

Thanks.
Michael