UKC Conformation Shows 2012

This area is for the discussion of conformation.
Forum rules
Please post at your own risk. Know that this is not a true conformation show, and that the comments made are based on pictures only and might not be a good reflection of what could be seen in real life. Pictures need to be owned by the poster or used with verifiable permission of the owner. The dog in the submitted picture should be owned OR bred by the poster, OR you should be able to show that you have explict permission from the dogs owner. You may be asked for verification . The admin reserves the right to remove posts when permission cannot be verified. No rights can be derived from these posts.
stormcat
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi there fellow Dutch lovers, my name is Laura and I'm hoping to be the proud owner of my first dutch shepherd soon!

UKC Conformation Shows 2012

Post by stormcat »

Hi, anyone going to any UKC conformation shows in 2012? Please reply with location and dates :D
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Re: UKC Conformation Shows 2012

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I keep trying to get people to come out to the Premier. Maybe people would be interested in a smaller show for fun.
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

Possibly the one in Mass. 4/28 & 4/29.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I think I'm only going to the Premier this year: Friday and Saturday, June 15 and 16. Probably not Sunday the 17th.

It's held the same week every year in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Besides conformation, you will find, Dock Diving, Weight Pull, Rally, Obedience, Agility, and Lure Coursing competitions, Did I forget anything? Vendors will be there, also. http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/DEHome

I'm in the Top 10, so I'll also be attending the Top 10 Invitational on Thursday.

If you'd like to go for something other than Conformation, sign up EARLY, because there are limits to the number of dogs that enter and it does fill FAST.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

CaroleBoaz wrote:I'm in the Top 10, so I'll also be attending the Top 10 Invitational on Thursday.
My girl Jala was ranked # 1 a few years ago, and I did not bother to go. Too dang far, and I really did not care enough about the circus to make it an issue. I'd be more interested in UKC if they had a working title that machted my interests, but it's hunting dogs, rally, weight pull, the stuff that is not my cup of tea. So have fun to all those who go and play. For many, I suspect, it's not worth the trip. :oops:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

vneerland wrote:My girl Jala was ranked # 1 a few years ago, and I did not bother to go.
I know it's 5 hour drive for me and I'm relatively close by. Congratulations, though! I had the hardest time finding competition. I finally had to go to a show in Kalamazoo to see another DS.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

CaroleBoaz wrote:I had the hardest time finding competition. I finally had to go to a show in Kalamazoo to see another DS.
Yes, you're right. You really do have to know if others are going to come too, or you'll be the only one answering the 'Whazzdah'? questions. :lol:
stormcat
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Hi there fellow Dutch lovers, my name is Laura and I'm hoping to be the proud owner of my first dutch shepherd soon!

Post by stormcat »

I was pretty excited about conformation until I realized you can register any brindle dog as a dutch shepherd. Not really worth the time, travel, and money to compete against mixed breeds. UKC doesn't check pedigree or registration papers, which unfortunetly makes the whole thing a farce.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

:? I don't think that you can register anything brindle? I thought that the parents of that brindle would have to be registered as DS's as well? Last I heard, anyway.

And Stormcat, would you be kind enough to introduce yourself in the new members section? Please?
stormcat
Just Whelped

Post by stormcat »

Where is the new member section? I'd be happy to if I could find it (forum illiterate :) The UKC doesn't check what breeds are in a pedigree. For instance, the #1 Dutch in the country right now is a mixed breed, his mom is a Malinois.
stormcat
Just Whelped

Post by stormcat »

By any brindle dog I really meant any brindle shepherd looking dog. A brindle boxer wouldn't pass :D , but a malinois x dutch cross or gsd x dutch cross that comes out brindle apparently does. If UKC is going to recognize the dutch shepherd as a breed, they should uphold their breed standard!
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Here's the new member section. http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewforum.php?f=11

Yes, I have had UKC judges ask me about the breed standard while in the ring. Boaz has a tail that curls more than it should. :o But otherwise, he's pretty nice. There is also a woman showing her long-hair DS. And we both keep trying to get others to come out, esp. the rough coats.

The IABCA, will sit down and do a full critique against the breed standard. I did that and I'm finished with it. I will probably be finished with UKC conformation after the Premier this summer. I have a CH, and I'm not going for Grand CH. I have other things to do with my dog that both of us will enjoy more. (Though, I am planning to show him in The Netherlands some day, if I think he will at least get a VG. Siblings are all getting U. :D )
stormcat
Just Whelped

Post by stormcat »

thanks. what is IABCA? Showing in Europe would be awesome! Do you have a plan for transporting your dog?
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I see from your introduction that you do not have a dog yet, and we don't know where you are from. Are you planning on importing? Are you buying a US born dog?

Here is the website for the IABCA IABCA.com. International All Breed Canine Association.

At those shows you are judged against the breed standard. So, if your dog has the right conformation you can get a championship without competition. Since I am new to conformation, I chose IABCA first to get my dog critiqued. No point in going to any other shows if the dog is ugly anyway. LOL!

There is ARBA. American Rare Breed Association. I will probably not show there, they shows are also infrequent.

My dog is an import from The Netherlands from pet/show lines. Not many working dogs in his pedigree, and I'm not planning on doing that. Pretty much, people who get their dogs for working dog sports, tend not to show in conformation anyway because they don't care what the dog looks like.

Am I correct about that, folks? It seems to be the attitude in all the working dog forums I've been on.

About flying to Europe. First I am going to wait until my dog mature physically. And he will travel on the same plane, but in cargo. I've thought about this very hard, and talked to many other people before deciding about doing this. It will definitely be an expensive trip for me.
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

CaroleBoaz wrote: My dog is an import from The Netherlands from pet/show lines. Not many working dogs in his pedigree, and I'm not planning on doing that. Pretty much, people who get their dogs for working dog sports, tend not to show in conformation anyway because they don't care what the dog looks like.

Am I correct about that, folks? It seems to be the attitude in all the working dog forums I've been on.

I guess because of my conformation background, I do in fact care what a dog looks like, also how they move, and feel it SHOULD be important to anyone who breeds, even if their main interest is sport. If a dog isn't structurally correct, how can they stand up (physically), to the work they are suppose to be doing?
(My pet peeve in this breed is all the East/West fronts.)
Standards are written for a reason-----not just for conformation dog shows. An animals build can affect their hips, elbows, strength of back, how well they can jump or land afterwards without injury, etc. NO they don't have to all be "show dogs", but attention to conformation should be in the equation somewhere.
In horses, the type of body an animal has is often a clue as to what that animal may excel at. :twocents:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I would agree with that.

The first time I showed my 6 month old Boaz in UKC conformation. Somebody who shows herding dogs stopped to talk to me and told me how nice it was to see a DS who can move. After some probing, she said that the DS she normally sees in conformation have terrible movement. I just ran into her again last month and she told me she still likes my dog, especially his happy attitude.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

CaroleBoaz wrote:The first time I showed my 6 month old Boaz in UKC conformation. Somebody who shows herding dogs stopped to talk to me and told me how nice it was to see a DS who can move. After some probing, she said that the DS she normally sees in conformation have terrible movement. I just ran into her again last month and she told me she still likes my dog, especially his happy attitude.
I don't know what DS's she has seen, but I do not typically see GSD ;) or terrible movement. I suspect it is all relative. A well built dog (yes, I agree) will hold up structurally and have a good longevity. I have seen some nice looking well built dogs, that had a reaching movement. Not correct according to standard, but I plead guilty to thinking that that would not be as much as a fault in my book as a GSD saunter would be. Worse than that, I like the look of the reach, but I do know it is not correct. Who knows that the above mentioned critic was referring to with 'terrible'. ;) I am sure that can be quite a subjective label, coming from someone who is not too immersed in the breed.
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Since you are in Texas, I'm sure you don't run across the same dogs that she did. And the dogs at the UKC shows rotate out after a year or so.

I do know that I love watching my dog in the back yard, especially when he changes leads. It's like he floats across the lawn.
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by vneerland »

CaroleBoaz wrote:Since you are in Texas, I'm sure you don't run across the same dogs that she did. And the dogs at the UKC shows rotate out after a year or so.

I do know that I love watching my dog in the back yard, especially when he changes leads. It's like he floats across the lawn.
:lol: I was not saying, in any way, that your dog did not have good movement. I don't know him and have no reason to make any assumptions.
I meant that the blanket statement (seen none that move well) seems quite overdone. I have not seen many with horrible movement (and I have seen a good many, not only in Texas) and I stated that the correct movement for a DS is also subjective to the breed, that she might not have been well versed in. ;)
Example: I love a reaching stride, but it is incorrect for the DS. Darn. :(
Interesting subject though! (the correct movement for the breed)
chimere
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I am French

Post by chimere »

vneerland wrote: Example: I love a reaching stride, but it is incorrect for the DS. Darn. :(
:huh: sorry I do not understand

DS must have a shape that covers the ground
smooth movement but does not throw the legs

"Gait: Free, flexible slices. The gait should not be forced but should not be too small or have too much amplitude"

le DS doit avoir une allure qui couvre le terrain
un mouvement souple mais ne doit pas jeter les pattes

"Allures : dégagées, souples, tranches. Les allures ne doivent pas être contraintes mais elles ne doivent pas non plus être trop légères ni avoir trop d'amplitude"
Marie and Dutch Shepherd French kennel Angel of the Moon