snow snow and more snow

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
icvanstra
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

snow snow and more snow

Post by icvanstra »

What is it about snow that every time the dogs see it .... it is like they have never seen it before.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Re: snow snow and more snow

Post by Marjolein »

Not just the dogs, me too Image
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Me three!!!
Kelly
Koenig
cake73
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.

Post by cake73 »

No snow here yet.
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015

North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
Marjolein
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)

Post by Marjolein »

cake73 wrote:No snow here yet.
bummer...

We've got a lot in Holland overhere not quite as much. But Schiphol (=Amsterdam) Airport was closed for most of the day, so are many German airports... More snow expected this night, wehooo. I don't have to work till wednesday anyways :D
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: *

Post by vneerland »

I hear Europe is the utter mess right now? And our west coast, they say, has area's that are in for 15 feet? :shock: (> 4 mtr)
I just escaped the traffic mess, resulting from milder snowfall in Holland a few weeks ago. I cannot imagine what this larger snow load is going to create......
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
icvanstra
Working Dog
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Post by icvanstra »

Just found a few photo's of Amsterdam:

Judith,

I've only been 'home' once at this time of the year (1972) and I don't remember there being much snow ... then again I don't remember much of that trip as I was so young. :lol:
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

Eric, there has not been this much snow in YEARS ;) Last year was the first time we had bigger amounts of snow, and now we seem to have started a colder-winter-cycle... They are expecting -17 Celcius in some parts of Holland tomorrow night :o Brrrrr! I'm still loving it, but some people have been stuck in traffic for over 6 hours on friday, trying to get home. (this would normally take them say 30 min. :? )
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

The Netherlands needs to work on their snow clearing skills! :D

Although not a yearly occurrence ... that kind of weather is not uncommon around here. Plus it is much more common north of me.

Maybe you can go skating on the canals this year???
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

icvanstra wrote:The Netherlands needs to work on their snow clearing skills! :D

Although not a yearly occurrence ... that kind of weather is not uncommon around here. Plus it is much more common north of me.

Maybe you can go skating on the canals this year???

No Eric, because of snow, ice doesn't "grow". Snow isolates and therefore the biggest fear in Holland now is: "no elfsteden tocht" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elfstedentocht) this year again :( :lol:
And yes, they do have to practice their snow clearing skills, they are running out of salt already...again! Last year at the end of the winter there was no salt anymore, so everything nice and slippery. Government promised this would "never happen again" and tadaaa, it's already happening and we are just starting winter! :? These skills dissappearded because they did not need them for so many years I guess...
Last night we had a bit more snow, we've got 30cm now, I feel like a little kiddie, and so do the dogs :mrgreen:
icvanstra
Working Dog

Post by icvanstra »

There is a party pooper in every bunch: "Committee Elfsteden Nee"
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
Marjolein
Working Dog

Post by Marjolein »

icvanstra wrote:There is a party pooper in every bunch: "Committee Elfsteden Nee"
yup, suckers :roll: get a life :P