Elk/Deer antler chews

Dietary/feeding issues
Charles
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Dogs have always had a place in my family.

Elk/Deer antler chews

Post by Charles »

Hi everybody. Does anybody know of a good place or website to buy Elk antler chews for a reasonable price in Canada? I was looking crossborder but nobody will ship them over.
Doomageddon Van Hardcore
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Elk/Deer antler chews

Post by leih merigian »

Charles wrote:... in Canada? I was looking crossborder but nobody will ship them over.
Did you ask why this policy? Seems nuts to me. Do you have trouble buying other things from this side of the line?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Boogies
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Greetings from Wisconsin. I live on a small goat farm with a crazy Malinois, named Rocket, that I adopted 5 years ago. I rent the goats out for weed and brush control and Rocket saves me hours a day, herding goats into barns and trailers and watching the gates as I move between pens. He also pulls a little red sled with whatever I need hauled. Rocket's the 14th dog I've adopted since I used to prowl the shelters for fast dogs for my sled team. One of my sled dogs may have been a DS mix. She had the look and energy but was a solid black with white toes. Rocket is currently an only dog so we go skijoring instead of sledding.

Post by Boogies »

It's illegal to sell most wild animal meat or parts in the US. Commercial venison is farm raised and much of it comes from New Zeland. This may have something to do with international bans on the movement of wildlife products.

Antlers are bones. Are they any different, safety wise, than other large bones?
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!

Post by alspyce »

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I get mine from ELKusa.com. I just checked their site and they dont say anything about canada so i would guess they dont, but it may be worth a call.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
leih merigian
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Post by leih merigian »

Boogies wrote: Antlers are bones. Are they any different, safety wise, than other large bones?
Yes...most of the large bones people give as recreational tend to be marrow bones, or weight-bearing bones, which are very hard. Antlers are not as hard. And, they're just chock full of nutrients and minerals.

Now, it still depends on your dog and his/her chewing style. My Geyser is very tough with chewing...she's chipped edges off of the large molars on either side of her mouth; I watch them closely, as does my vet, and so far, it's just the outer enamel being chipped off a bit. But she HAS to chew, and these antlers seem to be about the best option for us.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Check out Rens Pet for Canada pet supplies. That's where all my groomer friends up there shop since they have free shipping over $60. I did a quick search and found some antlers, I'm not sure if that's all they have or what animal they're from, but hopefully it helps.
http://www.renspets.com/antlers.html

My boy loves antlers and they seem to crumble rather than break like bones do. His first once crumbled away to nothing in about an hour, but he has 3 or 4 floating around that he rotates through that have last over a year now. We have a deer farm down the street, so I get them for $50/bag and will probably never run out.

It's the one thing I keep in the crate for rescue transports to keep them occupied and all the dogs go home with one when I hand them off.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

leih merigian wrote:
Boogies wrote: Antlers are bones. Are they any different, safety wise, than other large bones?
Yes...most of the large bones people give as recreational tend to be marrow bones, or weight-bearing bones, which are very hard. Antlers are not as hard. And, they're just chock full of nutrients and minerals.
I thought it was the opposite that Antlers are harder than marrow bones? I had picked up a marrow bone from my doggy health food store and it breaks apart. The Antlers I have are at lease 6 months old and still show no wear from the daily mauling. I dont remember what type of bone it is though, I am going there today, Ill take a look.
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.

Post by alspyce »

Antlers vary in Hardness. Softest are deer, then elk, and the hardest are moose. I buy only the antlers that have NOT been cut in half length wise exposing the marrow part.

I think the problem with weight bearing mammal bones is the density of the bones, being more apt to break/fracture the teeth.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Charles
Just Whelped

Post by Charles »

Thanks everybody. I will check out those places. I already tried ELKusa.com great prices but they dont ship to canada. The prices for antlers in pet stores is robbery. $20 for a small cut antler!
Doomageddon Van Hardcore
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

You know, $20 may sound expensive, but compared to other things that get destroyed in no time, I found that the antler is great bang for the buck as it lasts so long. A bully stick will be gone in half and hour or an hour...and we are talking one that costs $10. I just finally replaced Sugar's antler and its been months!
Sue (and Sugar)

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote:Antlers vary in Hardness. Softest are deer, then elk, and the hardest are moose. I buy only the antlers that have NOT been cut in half length wise exposing the marrow part.
dutchringgirl wrote:Why?
I think the problem with weight bearing mammal bones is the density of the bones, being more apt to break/fracture the teeth.
Gotcha
ImageImage
leih merigian
Working Dog

Post by leih merigian »

Sugars Mom wrote: A bully stick will be gone in half and hour or an hour...
I'd love to see the bully stick that would last for Geyser for 30 minutes!

And Lisa, yes, it's the weight-bearing bones that are the worst...that's not to say that your experience wasn't true; perhaps that bone had been treated in some way? I've never had any bone crumble apart...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Charles
Just Whelped

Post by Charles »

Sugars Mom wrote:You know, $20 may sound expensive, but compared to other things that get destroyed in no time, I found that the antler is great bang for the buck as it lasts so long. A bully stick will be gone in half and hour or an hour...and we are talking one that costs $10. I just finally replaced Sugar's antler and its been months!
Its expensive in ontario compared to what they charge in USA at places like ELKusa.com. I know there good otherwise I wouldnt be shopping for them.
Doomageddon Van Hardcore
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ha, I'm in B.C...they say that stands for "bring cash"! Everything is cheaper in the states tho...
Sue (and Sugar)

Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Post by Christie M »

Hey Charles,
Can you take a minute and visit the User Control Panel and create a quick signature that includes your name? It just helps us keep everyone sorted out as we grow.
Thanks!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Maroc ate a deer antler within 2 hours :eek:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

for 13 years I have given a raw [ non-flaring, i.e., thick and heavy ] marrow bone with all the fat trimmed off the outside every other day.
will continue that if for nothing but the marrow, but I love all this antler info. thanks to everyone. will start antlers to provide a chewing fix for the dogs.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Chris,

Why wont you buy the Antlers that have been cut so the marrow is exposed?
ImageImage
alspyce
Working Dog

Post by alspyce »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Chris,

Why wont you buy the Antlers that have been cut so the marrow is exposed?
Lyric chews them up too fast, and they seem to chip off in big pieces that my JRT could pick up and choke on.
Chris Carlton/Lyric