RIP Tequilla

In remembrance of our lost friends
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

RIP Tequilla

Post by centrop67 »

One year ago today I had to do the hardest thing I've ever done.

I had to put one of the greatest dogs ever to rest.

Here he is with both his loves, swimming and the frisbee.

Just a short three months later, I got some bad news about Snickers... (To be continued)
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RIP Tequilla And Snickers

Post by centrop67 »

One year ago today was one of the worst days of my life.

At 3:00pm the prior day I got a call from the vet. I interrupted a customer meeting to take it fearing the worst. For 2 days, our GSD mix Snickers wouldn't sit or lay down. I really thought the 12-year old dog was having hip problems, and some pain killers/cortisone might relieve the pain.

We really expected to have Snickers around for at least a couple more years after having to say goodbye to Tequila. Snickers was the dog that was smart, but played dumb to keep our expectations of him down. He was never needy, and was happy to play or not, walk or not, or get petted or not.

I listened on the phone as the vet explained the situation - lungs filled with fluid. He couldn't lay down, because he couldn't breath.

Tequila wasn't real happy with us the day we brought Snickers home, but it had such an eventual calming effect on him. Tequila was Marley's (from the book/movie) twin up until that point. And Snickers really helped us get through having to put Tequila down at the end.

Tequila was a purchase from a private breeder. Our first dog. Snickers was a rescue. Some evil person decided that throwing this adorable puppy out a moving car in a rain storm was okay. Luckily, someone connected to us, and the witness of that event put us all together.

I grabbed my keys and took off to the vet, and after a detailed explanation of the issue we determined it best to help Snickers via euthanization. We may have been able to spend a couple more days with some severe treatment, but he wasn't going to get better and he was really suffering.

I think I went into severe depression after this event. I can remember not really wanting to do anything, and coming home numb to an empty dogless house wasn't helping.

However...

All of this lead to finding Radar just a couple of months later, and I am now back to normal and thinking about adding a Radar companion. I thank this community whole-heartedly for helping me understand my new family member and giving me the opportunity to salute my old friends. :wtg:
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...

Re: RIP Tequilla

Post by Stacy_R »

Both Snickers and Tequilla were so lucky to have you as their family. I know you gave them just as much joy and love as they gave to you. May your days be filled with many happy memories of your old friends while you make new ones with Radar. :)
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
johninny
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612

Post by johninny »

in his photo, Snickers looks like he is saying, ''Do you want my help with that?'' he sounds like the kind of perfect dog TD was - very attentive and ready for anything exciting or quiet. that was quite an ordeal you went through; I know the shock of returning to a dogless home after 12 years of constant companionship.
you might be adding to the family soon?!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Thank you both so much for the kind words.

And, yes we are contemplating an addition to the family.

:wtg:
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

My thoughts are with you
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Michael
karenz
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: My name is Karen and I have a dutch shepherd, Xander, born 6/14/13. He is my second dutch shepherd. My first was Rawly. Even though Xander is my second I still have a lot to learn. That is why I'm here, to learn, get advice, and meet people who love these guys as much as I do.

Post by karenz »

RIP Tequilla and Snickers. They both look like great dogs. And they look so happy!!!
Karen & Xander
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

It's that time of year again. Of course Facebook's dumbass memories feature has me all sad again.

Tequila's end of life lead me to this site and eventually to taking it over.

I don't ask members for anything, but...

Now would be a good time for you to consider a small donation to your favorite rescue organization. I would be honored by anything you feel comfortable contributing.

In case you need it, click here for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue.

Thanks
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Awww, I feel ya. I fear the day when Thalie is no longer with me and I see the memories on FB, UGH !!!!

Thanks for the charity link !!!! Hugs to ya on this day
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:48 am Hugs to ya on this day
Thanks
Michael
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I understand. When my dad passed away last August, a friend of his said that he hoped I had a dog that could help comfort me- a dog that didn't require any training. I chuckled, and told him that I have a dog that will not let me forget about her if she's NOT training...which is exactly what I need(ed).
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor