Questions for Experienced DS Owners and Breeders

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
nvd
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Name is Nick, I am Canadian and my background is Dutch.
I love dogs and animals in general. I have always wanted a DS.
So now im in the process to educate my self on them before I
take the plunge! - Now I have one! not like any other dog thats
forsure!

Questions for Experienced DS Owners and Breeders

Post by nvd »

Questions for experienced DS Owners and Breeders

My fiancé and I have been looking / planning on getting a dog, possibly next spring sometime. We really like the Dutch shepherds and have done a fair amount of research on them so we know what we are getting into. We understand they require a lot of both physical and mental stimulation, which made us a little hesitant as im sure you would understand.

We have some questions and we hope some of you could provide us with some knowledgeable answers. Before we ask our questions, I will give you some information on us for you reference. We are in our early-mid 20s, getting married this September and are a fairly active couple. We own our house with a large yard and plenty of lakes, trails, parks near by. We like to bike, rollerblade etc. We have owned multiple dogs growing up so have experience with them. We are looking for a family dog that is a smart, loyal and protective. We do not have any issues taking the dog for a walk/run/fetch twice a day (morning and evening), throwing the ball with him/her, going swimming, boating etc., we also want to go to obedience training and take the time to socialize him/her with both dogs and people. We would like a dog that can walk, play all that energetic stuff but also be calm/gentle/protective around babies/kids (we do not have kids now, but possibly within the next 3 or so years). Like I said before we do not have an issue providing the exercise required, however would like he/she to be calm and relaxed when in the house or when we have other stuff to do. We first thought about a DS, then considered GSD however we prefer the size and coat of a dutch shepherd. We understand at the end of the day any dog will need attention, grooming etc.

That being said please see below for a list of questions we have any hopefully you may be able to answer them;

-In a litter of Dutch Shepherds, is it possible to have one that has lower drive/calmer then the rest of them? (Better for a family pet and not for police work)
-If yes, how often would this happen? (ie. every litter there may be one?)
-Would you say a male or a female would be “more calmer” then the other or does it not matter?
-With your experience, in our case would you recommend a GSD over a DS?
-if so why? or if not does it not matter so long as they receive the right amount of stimulation?
-We do not have an issue getting either a puppy or an adult, assuming the adult has been trained and what not.
-Is it true by getting a puppy, we would have the opportunity to then train and socialize the dog to the best of our ability or does age not matter as much?
-Other dogs in our family (parents, sisters etc) are mostly male dogs who have not necessarily been socialized to often with other dogs, does it matter what sex we (male or female) if our dog has been socialized in order for them to get a long?
-Same question as above just shorter encase you didn't understand, will a socialized dog (male/female) get along with other dogs who may not of been socialized as much as they should of?
or do both dogs require to be socialized in order to get along well?

I can’t think of any other questions at this time but if you have any other additional information for us that would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time on hopefully answering our questions.

Regards,

Nick and Jenn
Nick V.
Dutch Shepherd - Tyson - Born June 12, 2014
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Questions for Experienced DS Owners and Breeders

Post by Raven »

Thread moved to "Whatever" from "Varieties" of DS.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

nvd wrote:which made us a little hesitant as im sure you would understand.
Absolutely! And good for you. These dogs aren't laid-back, don't-bogey-that-jay-man kind of dogs.

So, is it a preference for the DS coat over a GSD coat that has you considering a DS? There are other breeds, including mixes, who can offer a sense of security, be very bound to their family and an all-around great family dog and companion that aren't working dogs.

Have you read through many of the threads, especially under Behavior, Education and Whatever? Reading through these you should find more information that will tell you if you are ready for this type of dog. Have you had experience with working dogs before? I know you said you've each owned dogs, but working dogs need activity--as you said, both mental and physical--and jobs to do, and dedicated, consistent training...and they'll change your life. Really, they will, especially a DS.

Glad you are researching and asking questions beforehand. If you read through a lot of the threads on here, you'll get a good sense of what you are asking---and beyond.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

Thanks, as for coat preference this is not a huge deal but we like the shorter hair of a ds vs long fluffy of a gsd, the reason we are wanting a "shepherd" is also how intelligent they are.

The reason I have asked questions about "calm" is because for a family pet we do not need a working dog parse which is why we are asking if there is such thing as a calmer ds. I have read and talked to people before and have heard that sometimes there are dogs or shepherd which do not have the ball drive or drive in general to be a successful working dog but would be good family pet so long as they get the proper exercise etc.

We are just wondering if or how often you would find a "calmer" ds if at all possible. we do not have an issue on waiting if this is the case however do not want to wait if its never going to happen!! to which is why we are trying to do our home work first. we truly do want to own a ds bc of all the good things about them which any owner can testify we would just like to know if there ever any more calmer ds out there!

thx
Nick V.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

My advice, if you want a DS, would be to get a slightly older dog from North American Dutch Shepherd rescue. Puppies can be a crap shoot, even if you do everything right. There are litters with lower drive dogs. There are breeders that can help you identify which pups might be better to settle in the house, but puppies can change and you might have to change your lifestyle to suit that. If you get an older dog from an experienced foster that knows the dog well, you'll be able to get the traits you want. If you get a dog before having kids, there are a lot of things the dog may not have been exposed to that's needed when the kid comes around. If you get one that has lived with kids, you'll know exactly what to expect.

A dog with good nerves can be trained at any age, especially a highly intelligent dog like a DS. Odin was the first dog my husband and I got as a married couple. He was 2 at the time and was a great fit for us. We skipped the messy puppy stage and got a great dog that fit well into our family. My 2nd DS was also an adult when I got her.

As far as introducing them to poorly socialized dogs, why would you want to? One stable dog is not going to fix one that has social issues and it may develop fear or aggression in return, depending on the level of issues and how the owners let the dogs interact. I caution allowing your dog, especially a puppy if you get one, to openly interact with outside dogs that don't have the best dog-to-dog skills, especially with owners that didn't put in the effort to work on their dogs. I don't think either sex really matters, but in general, I have seen a lot bigger need for control in females of the herding breeds. They might be quicker to correct an unruly dog. Females aren't called bitches for nothing.

If you really want to start with a puppy and want the size and coat of a DS, but a better house pet, you might want to consider getting an AKC show bred malinois. Most of the DS in the US are from working lines, but with the belgians, there's a big distinction between showline and working lines. The AKC show line malinois are very nice house dogs, but still very trainable and loyal.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

lyonsfamily, thanks for the response.

That is the reason we would consider an adult dog as we would aready know what it would be like at the time we pick one but wasn't a hundred percent sure about puppies but thanks for clearing that up.

The reason I asked about introducing it t other dogs who may or may not be social is bc they are with in the family and it would be nice when we go over there for the day or when ever to bring our dog and have them all get a long. but I didn't want to cause any issues.

As for an AKC Malinois, we never considered a Mal as we where under the impression they had more drive and energy then a DS.. or I that the wrong assumption?

Also, we are located in SW Ontario, Canada in a small town southwest from Toronto/Hamilton area. So not sure how we would go abouts looking or getting a dog from the US.

Thanks
Nick V.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Importing dogs is fairly easy from US and Canada. A good breeder will be familiar with the regulations. They also sometimes have older dogs or can get you an older dog.

I certainly would advise you against a puppy. They are little hellions but so worth it if you're willing to put the time and energy into them. And by time and energy I mean devote every spare minute to them, and even some not so spare minutes. As for being calm in the house as a puppy…. yeah….

I would advise working with NADSR to find a dog. A lot of the dogs like Stephanie said are mixes or older, so they'll be calmer. Now, I have yet to meet a DS that meets the term "calm", more of they can behave in a house for periods of time, but I haven't met all the DS and DS mixes so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

As for owning a DS, it's a lot like owning a smart kid. A really smart kid. They are goof balls, a little immature at times, easy to train, and fun to be around, but they need to be challenged every day. I work with my guy five times a day, learning tricks, fun chores, doing chores, training for a sport, tracking, learning, teaching… because if he doesn't… let's just say he taught himself to open doors and close them, so he breaks into "forbidden" areas, causes quite the trouble, and closes the door when he's done. These guys will entertain themselves when bored and no amount of training can teach them to not do it. You must be 110% committed to those 2 long walks a day no matter the weather, plus playing fetch twice a day, plus training multiple times every day, plus adventures, plus working out their minds. If you start working with NADSR and find a match, seriously ask the foster everything, including detailed schedules (because I've come to realize I don't think of teaching him tracking as part of his "training/exercise" time) so you can get an idea of how laid back this dog will be. I once transported a foster DS to his forever home and while he was calm and quiet, he wanted to play fetch for two hours. And did so. Happily. And still wanted a 30 minute walk after.

As an aside, DS tend to be energizer bunnies… Three hours of hardcore play and a quick nap later and my guy is ready to do it all again. Working his brain in conjunction with physical activity is the only thing that will tire him out for an afternoon.

Also, as far as the protection part… exactly what do you want when you say protection? A dog that will bite? A dog that will bark at a door bell? A dog that has a show of aggression when asked? A dog that looks scary? A DS is certainly protective, almost overtly so, as many can attest to the "something changed" barks or the "protect mom/dad from cars" stories we all have. But knowing exactly what type of protection you need, and considering the legal risks involved, will help you decide and communicate that need with a potential breeder. My guy will live bite. He will take a chunk out of your arm if you look at me wrong. His sometimes over-protectiveness is something I work on with him constantly. I also know a lot of dogs that, while trained with a big bark and biting methods, if you truly break into a house they will either let you in or run away. My neighbor has European Labs who are VERY protective, but come crashing into his house and they run. Almost any dog will become protective over its family, it's as owners and handlers knowing what type of protection response from our dogs we want helps us determine a breed.

As far as AKC Mals, there are some crazy drive-y AKC mals but there are also non-crazy drive-y mals. Depends on the breedings and pedigree of dam and sire. If you're showing your dog at AKC, you really can't have the high strung dogs you see in sports that literally shake with excitement.

I say this not as a "you can't handle it" but more as the honest truth. The things research doesn't tell you can be found on this site and will really help you decide if a DS is the right breed for you. Really dig into the behavior and whatever sections because we are all brutally honest here! And thank you for asking questions about DS!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

Thanks for the advice, we understand they need a lot of work.. I have emailed almost all of the breeders I can find to ask more questions as well. I spoke with one today that informed me that in litters there are low and high drive pups high ones go to working homes, low ones can go to active family homes. we understand either will require work and stimulation. I think what we would prefer would a low drive ds yet isn't timid either as this is going to be our family pet. we will still run and train him but do not need a high drive one to do work for us. as for protection its not something that we need to train or dog to attack anyone more of just a protecting bark/attitude of their home and family (im sure any dog will do this so its more of a plus with the ds)

"owned by hendrix' thank you very much for the information very much appreciated. Is your DS a high drive one? seems that way..I guess now my questions would focus on how much energy a low drive ds on average would have? im sure its not going to be lazy like some rottis but may not require 4 - 10km runs a day like most working dogs.

would be nice to take a "low drive" ds to the lake for a nice swim, park for some fetch, and then back home and be okay in a crate until the late afternoon when we can do it again. obviously on wknds we can provide more and longer attention but im sure through out any dogs life there may be the odd day they cant play as much as normal and be okay for the time being.

If anyone has any input or expirence with "low drive" ds please provide. in the mean time I will look into the other sections on this site for more info.

thx
Nick V.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

I wasn't just talking about AKC registered malinois, but the actual ones bred for conformation, especially if you can find a retired AKC or CKC champion. Those are like a completely different breed. There are very very few conformation breeders of malinois producing high drive dogs. There are some working line breeders producing dogs that are AKC registered and they may occasionally have a conformation champion, but that's not what I'm talking about.

The DS are different. Most in the US are KNPV bred. Even the top UKC dogs are from KNPV dogs. The 3 main breeders we have of FCI registered dogs aren't producing show dogs either. They're working dogs that have papers, which makes a big difference.
Stephanie
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

My guy is actually what you would call fairly easy-going. He was the only one of his brother and sisters to not head to Homeland Security and was going to be trained as a personal protection dog because he was more suitable for life in a house. He has an on switch and an off switch. However, this doesn't necessarily affect his boundless energy.

Thanks Stephanie for the clarification! I knew there was something like conformation mals but I couldn't remember the term conformation so I mashed everything together. Fail. :)

I'd personally ask the breeders what their standards of "low drive" dog is. Because remember, drive means prey, food, fight, play, defense, etc. A dog with low drive doesn't necessarily equal a laid back dog. Also, how protective is protective? My guy will let anyone passing by know he's there. People walking in have to have a specific introduction. The other DS in a PSA club, while not human aggressive, must have introductions if people are going to pet them or come over, because they are highly protective. Even a more laid back dog will be equally protective. Just more food for thought. I hope others will chime in and give their opinions on their dogs too! :)
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

I wish more people would take such things into consideration prior to getting a DS (or any animal, really), but I'm not sure anyone can quantify what you consider a low-drive dog. What you would see as a drive too high for your liking, others would find just drive-y enough and suitable.

And while drive is very important to consider, that's only part of the package. They're scary-smart, active beasts and the training of these dogs is considerable. You work all day and come home to another job. And forget days off. You can find an off-switch in some, but regardless, they are Always. Ready. To. Rock. And without fair, consistent leadership and training (that never truly ends), things can turn.

And their protective nature makes training them a bit trickier than others.

As other have said, NADSR would be a great place to start. They're reliable in their assessments and they work very hard to place dogs in the right homes. They had a really, really low-drive dog (Lily?) a few years back, but that's not common, and even then, she might very well have been too low-drive for your liking. No one can say.

Are you close enough, even for a day trip, to a sport club or breeder where you could see mature dogs in action? There was someone on this board who did all their homework. They never owned a DS, but felt they were ready. After a month, I believe, they surrendered her to NADSR. A lot of DS get surrendered, or worse, because they are a lot of dog.

:dswink"
nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

Again I want to say thanks for everyone providing all this god information!!

We are located in a smaller country town about 20min south of Brantford Ontario. Brantford is located about 1.5 hours west of Toronto, 1 hour east of London along the 403.

I would be interested in taking a drive to go see some DS in action for sure! I have found a few breeders in Ontario just from research. see below.

-Baden K9 (Guelph, ont) - 1.25 hrs away
-21CenturaryK9 (Near Windsor, on) 3 hours away
-Mike the dog man (St. Anns - near Niagara falls) 1.5 hours away

Anyone have any expirence with any of these breeders? or does anyone know a place in Ontario we can go see them at a show or something?

Also, I emailed another breeder who has pups right now.. but odd thing is 2 kinda look like Mals with the beige and 3 are brindle, he said that they are all purebread. I thought they have to be brindle in order to be pure bread dutchy?

Thanks
Nick V.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

There can be fawn dogs out of 2 brindle, if it's recessive in the parents. Purebred is really subjective in this breed since there are still open studbooks in countries and many working breeders don't have registered dogs.
Stephanie
Nunnari
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am a husband and father of 3, one bouncing boy and two fur-babies (one Dutch Shepherd/Malinois Mix and one Alaskan Malamute). I am military and have experience training and working with detection and protection canines although I am not a working dog handler. My Dutch is just over 2 years old. I have spent countless hours training our dogs and enjoy the work. Both have strong drive and motivation towards training but enjoy being rambunctious when I am away.

Post by Nunnari »

Just so you know where I'm coming from... I have had Brutus (DS/Mal mix) for over two years now. My wife and I raised him from five weeks, one parent was a working Mal and the other was supposed to be a working DS but ended up whelping pups way too early. He is a constant challenge but a rewarding one. As already stated in the thread, drive is a relative observation. I love the drive and motivation that Brutus has. We work at least 45 minutes a day and still exercise. I have run him 8 miles and he still wants to go once we return home. Im prety sure I have never actually tired him out, just slowed him down a little. Even though I have been working with him for two years there are still personality quirks that we work on together. He has a great recall... until there is a squirrel or cat or some other small furry woodland creature. We have worked on cats but squirrels are still his kryptonite. Most of the time I can catch his body language and put him on command. Bottom line here is that even though he has and is being well trained he still goes over the edge with his prey drive.

I have spent alot of time training him and still spend alot of time doing it now. I have had dogs before Brutus and have an Alaskan Malamute that lives right along side him but training this dog is nothing like training a lab. I wouldnt recommend an untrained DS for someone who doesnet have at least a moderate grasp on training and some experience with it. I love to work this dog but he is too much for my wife to handle on her own sometimes, there is no "off" switch he just lets you think he wants a nap so he can find something to get into.

Brutus is a bandit! Even with a reliable bed command he still will ninja himself to the kitchen or the bed room to get into something and you wont realize it until he walks in front of you with it. Sometimes he is the dumbest-smart dog and gets himself in some trouble. I reference these dogs to people as a 65 lb 2 year old, they are too smart for their own good sometimes and they are always learning.

Even though I spent an excruciating amount of time to socialize him, Brutus still doesnt like new dogs. It takes a while to get him used to new dogs and even with introductions and supervision, sometimes they just dont like each other (personalities i suppose).

As far as protection goes, Brutus can be very protective of the family. Particularly my year and a half old son and me. The mail man found this out the hard way when he came around the side of my house instead of approaching from the road or driveway while we were on the front porch. Brutus heard him and I didnt. By the time he came around the corner Brutus was already in the air, the mail man put his foot out and kicked Brutus in the face, stoped him long enough for me to grab him and put him in the house. Fortunately there were no injuries. Brutus was never trained for protection however, I have every confidence that if an intruder were to enter my home, Brutus would have no reservations against leaving him with a perminent reminder as to why it was a bad idea.

Ultimately, I love this dog. Everything about my DS fits my personality and my lifestyle. He has been a challenge but it is very rewarding for both my family and the dog.
Nick
Brutus, Dutch/Malinois Mix
Nero, Alaskan Malamute
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Raven »

Nunnari wrote: Im prety sure I have never actually tired him out, just slowed him down a little.
Good point to make since this is the norm.
Nunnari wrote: Bottom line here is that even though he has and is being well trained he still goes over the edge with his prey drive.
Also normal for these dogs, even with successful training.
nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

Thanks for those comments. Those are some good points, I am understanding that there a multiple types of drives and may be low on one but high on another. All in all they will require a lot of attention low or high drive.

I was speaking with a lady from 21centuryk9 and the7 have a 1 year old female. below is what she informed me of.

-good with kids, well built, loves affection, med. energy drive, kinda social as she gets along with some dogs and likes to be around them but is also dominant, been thru obedience training, car training, crate and house trained. overall really good dog just still requires more attention and training as she still is only a year old.

Any advice?
Nick V.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

nvd wrote:Questions for experienced DS Owners and Breeders

-In a litter of Dutch Shepherds, is it possible to have one that has lower drive/calmer then the rest of them? (Better for a family pet and not for police work)
-If yes, how often would this happen? (ie. every litter there may be one?)
Thalie is a perfect example. she came from champion lines but she is super low drive and calm. She stayed with the breeder and was around kids from a pup, so she was a perfect fit for me.
nvd wrote:

-With your experience, in our case would you recommend a GSD over a DS?

-if so why? or if not does it not matter so long as they receive the right amount of stimulation?
it dosnt matter if you dont care if you get a GSD or a DS. I have had both and personally like the size of the DS and the less shedding of the DS coat.

nvd wrote:
-We do not have an issue getting either a puppy or an adult, assuming the adult has been trained and what not.
-Is it true by getting a puppy, we would have the opportunity to then train and socialize the dog to the best of our ability or does age not matter as much?
Getting a puppy is like having another baby, so think about the timing of your own children and getting a pup. There are alot of pros and cons with a pup or and adult.
nvd wrote:

-Other dogs in our family (parents, sisters etc) are mostly male dogs who have not necessarily been socialized to often with other dogs, does it matter what sex we (male or female) if our dog has been socialized in order for them to get a long?
-Same question as above just shorter encase you didn't understand, will a socialized dog (male/female) get along with other dogs who may not of been socialized as much as they should of?
or do both dogs require to be socialized in order to get along well?
socialization is way over rated. My other DS, Sadie, is a super high drive, dosnt get along with many other dogs BUT she will get along with my parents BH and my friends pugs and chiwawa, thats all I care about. It has alot to do with alot of things. Sadie is very protective and it depends on where I am and who is around and the temperament of the other dogs. Thalie could care less about anything and loves everyone.
nvd wrote: I can’t think of any other questions at this time but if you have any other additional information for us that would be much appreciated.
Take a look through the forum and do some searches, there is alot of info here.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

Thanks!

Anyone have any tips on how to identify a "lower" drive more calmer puppy other then one thats not moving around as much as the others...?
Nick V.
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

nvd wrote:Thanks!

Anyone have any tips on how to identify a "lower" drive more calmer puppy other then one thats not moving around as much as the others...?
If you're going with an experienced breeder, he or she should be able to guide you there, as they should be familiar with their puppies' temperaments.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

nvd
Puppy
forsure!

Post by nvd »

Thanks for those comments. Those are some good points, I am understanding that there a multiple types of drives and may be low on one but high on another. All in all they will require a lot of attention low or high drive.

I was speaking with a lady from 21centuryk9 and the7 have a 1 year old female. below is what she informed me of.

-good with kids, well built, loves affection, med. energy drive, kinda social as she gets along with some dogs and likes to be around them but is also dominant, been thru obedience training, car training, crate and house trained. overall really good dog just still requires more attention and training as she still is only a year old.

Any advice?
Nick V.