Looking for Dutch Shepherd (maybe Blue)

Have something you want to sell or buy related to a Dutch Shepherd? Put it here.
Forum rules
If you are selling a Dutch Shepherd or announcing a litter please post the results of the normally expected health tests or clearly state that they are not available. ...people are going to ask for them.
drhyed
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Worked with rescued dogs for over 15 years after working/living with working dogs for the past several years I am considering a Dutch Shepherd.

Looking for Dutch Shepherd (maybe Blue)

Post by drhyed »

My name is Jay and Im looking for either a puppy or younger adolescent Dutch shepherd. Im bias to "blue" dogs but would not pass up a good brindle matching what Im looking for and Im also open on gender. Ive been a dog owner for almost 20 years and have fostered several rescue pits along the way, and as much as I love them I am really looking for a dog that matches my active life style. I run several times a week and would like a dog that can keep up, Ive done some agility work with dogs in the past and wouldnt mind having a dog that enjoyed that as well. I am not looking to compete or breed, this will very much be a companion dog first. Over the past several years I have worked with/next to several "working dogs" and based on those experiences and a fair amount of research I think a DS is the right match for me. Pedigree/paperwork/bloodline is a large consideration but not the only factor in my choice. Im not looking to pinch pennies but im also not looking for a >$2000 dog. Its easier if you email me at drhyed@yahoo.com, PM's may take a day or 2 to respond to.

Thanks
Jay
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Re: Looking for Dutch Shepherd (maybe Blue)

Post by k9lexi »

Check chercarkennels. My pup was one of 11 There were several blues available in her litter.
drhyed
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Worked with rescued dogs for over 15 years after working/living with working dogs for the past several years I am considering a Dutch Shepherd.

Post by drhyed »

I checked the site and it said none Avialiable, I emailed just in case but haven't heard back.
Mobil
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Rescued a dumped DS puppy from the freeway and found his littermate in a nearby shelter two weeks later.

Post by Mobil »

CherCar usually has quite a waiting list. Also, they will not allow their dogs to be picked out by color, they match the dogs to prospective owners by temperament.
Dusty,

Mobil & Turbo (4/14, probably DS)

Nancy
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I am the mom of a 22 year old son that came home with a Dog part Akita and part German Shepherd. My other son has a full breed Dutch Shepherd. All of a sudden I have 9 puppies. They are so very cute, however I know they need a forever home. We have 3 males left. 2 are black with white spots on chest and the other is brindle. They are 10 weeks old today and have had their first shots already. You can see the pups on my facebook page Nancy Chastain

Post by Nancy »

We have 3 males 10 weeks old that need a forever home. 2 are black with a white spot and one is brindle.
They have had their first shot.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

If you're looking for a companion/running/maybe agility DS, Cher Car would probably be your best bet, or adopting from NADSR. They tend to have dogs will a little bit less of an edge. Last I heard, Cher Car had about a 9month waiting list, but I don't know for sure.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
MaliNut
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Well...it's a transition really. Had my final GSD from 1996 to 2009-she's over the Rainbow Bridge now); then moved over to Belgian Mals. Now I've DS fever looking to get SH silver brindle sib(in my dreams) for my 5 yo Male Mal Razor!

Thanks for having me onboard-I am here to learn all I can about Dutch SHepherds...although after 3.5 yrs of Mals I still wonder if I am really ever going to figure it out!

Post by MaliNut »

Twas on FB several months back and I think Carole Field said the wait list was over 100-150 pups.

Check with Trudy at NADSR....Good luck!

Cheers..Greg and "Taki"
Vrijheid's "Our Ninja TAKI"- Dutch Shepherd born 5/15/13-1 Yr old!!!
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Post by Owly »

Not one for bandwagons, but I'll gladly hop on the CherCar one. They really know their dogs and they are truly amazing with their placements. While a lot of your DS breeders try to breed strictly for LE and protection sport, CherCar tends to spread out among LE, protection sport, service dogs, and even family pets. ~2k is the average price for a DS from a reputable breeder, with prices starting to climb now that they're starting to take LE and Protection Sporting events by storm. I'm on the list for a CherCar pup and I'm looking at a very very long wait, and that was after I put myself on the list last winter. At least a year or two, if I'm lucky? Any breeder asking for less than 1-1.5k is possibly in the nefarious ByB ballpark(I know that there are a couple of decent small time hobby breeders asking for around 1.3k but you have to dig for those guys). If you're up for rescues, NADSR is pretty awesome. Trudy and the gang put a lot of effort into evaluating a dog before they're re-homed permanently. A couple of NADSR rescues have actually been up to snuff for tracking and LE work, but most of them do end up being suitable for just active/working homes.

Also, you're probably going to be paying a -lot- more for a blue DS as opposed to a regular DS. There aren't very many breeders with blues popping up in their lines. CherCar is the only one I've seen advertising them. I've seen a couple of breeders with blue imports, but nobody on my side of the map actually actively promoting blues popping up in their litters. While DS breeders tend to stress the importance of personality over coat colors, they won't shy away from bumping the price up on a blue even if it isn't up to snuff personality wise compared to the rest of the litter.
Owly, Ohio.
Owly
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a student, I work at a zoo, and I work at a veterinarian's office. I'm an active person who doesn't mind playing the occasional video game or vegging out on the sofa while holding a netflix marathon.

Post by Owly »

LyonsFamily wrote:If you're looking for a companion/running/maybe agility DS, Cher Car would probably be your best bet, or adopting from NADSR. They tend to have dogs will a little bit less of an edge. Last I heard, Cher Car had about a 9month waiting list, but I don't know for sure.
Official numbers posted today with the announcement that they would not using a waiting list:

"We are no longer maintaining waiting lists for Cher Car Kennels puppies, having been forced to discard the practice on June 1, 2015 when the wait list numbered 863 potential buyers (387 Dutch Shepherd, 255 German Shepherd, 164 Belgian Malinois, 57 Parson Russell Terrier) and dated back to May of 2013. The amount of time and energy in maintaining the list with its required email and telephone correspondence had ballooned into a full time job." -CherCar Kennels
Owly, Ohio.
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

Owly wrote:
LyonsFamily wrote:If you're looking for a companion/running/maybe agility DS, Cher Car would probably be your best bet, or adopting from NADSR. They tend to have dogs will a little bit less of an edge. Last I heard, Cher Car had about a 9month waiting list, but I don't know for sure.
Official numbers posted today with the announcement that they would not using a waiting list:

"We are no longer maintaining waiting lists for Cher Car Kennels puppies, having been forced to discard the practice on June 1, 2015 when the wait list numbered 863 potential buyers (387 Dutch Shepherd, 255 German Shepherd, 164 Belgian Malinois, 57 Parson Russell Terrier) and dated back to May of 2013. The amount of time and energy in maintaining the list with its required email and telephone correspondence had ballooned into a full time job." -CherCar Kennels
Yep, saw that on Carole's page. Even though the official list is gone, I'm sure it's going to be a while for someone new to the breed to get a pet dog out of their litters.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Owly
Green Dog

Post by Owly »

Maybe. She does produce pet quality on occasion and she did say that they would give special consideration to "local and repeat buyers." I'm glad that I'm "local" enough for a day trip to her kennels, so hopefully when I decide to buy a puppy I'll be able to. I was on the list, but I wasn't expecting to be able to buy a pup for a couple of years given my specific requests.
Owly, Ohio.