Skinny rescue

Dietary/feeding issues
fetch
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dutch and Malinois owner.

Re: Skinny rescue

Post by fetch »

Salmon poisoning => http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=3172

It's not the trematode (fluke) per se, it's the rickettsia bacteria in the flukes that will kill a dog.

Don't feed raw or smoked from raw salmon/steelhead/trout from the PNW, including Alaska. I don't care how long it's been in your non-commercial home freezer. Just don't. Every time you opened your freezer this past year, you raised the temperature to non-kill temps. Not when cooking it to the proper doneness temperature will remove the risk for sure.
NewlyDutched
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Amira, human of Serafina (angel of destruction) Mal/GS and just welcomed home Bruno my first Dutchie!

Post by NewlyDutched »

Yeah, I'll just cook it first. Not worth the risk! De-boning will suck but most of it is already fillets.

I scored about 25 pounds of fresh free range whole chicken yesterday for around $.70 a pound though so I get to hack it up today lol!

He's already looking so much better. Almost 2 weeks and his spine and hips are almost covered with muscle! Can't wait for the dandruff to go, blech!

Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

:wtg:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

NewlyDutched wrote:I scored about 25 pounds of fresh free range whole chicken yesterday for around $.70 a pound though so I get to hack it up today lol!
Wow, where does one find deals like this? I've been itching to start Hilde on raw, but I don't want to feed her garbage meat. Of course most of the commercially available free range/grass fed stuff is WAAAY over $0.70/lb. I talked to a local butcher, and they said they had all the organs I could ever want, but all the meat is at their normal prices.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years

Post by LyonsFamily »

racingiron1 wrote:
NewlyDutched wrote:I scored about 25 pounds of fresh free range whole chicken yesterday for around $.70 a pound though so I get to hack it up today lol!
Wow, where does one find deals like this? I've been itching to start Hilde on raw, but I don't want to feed her garbage meat. Of course most of the commercially available free range/grass fed stuff is WAAAY over $0.70/lb. I talked to a local butcher, and they said they had all the organs I could ever want, but all the meat is at their normal prices.
Maybe you should consider joining a co-op. The one I'm in goes down to TN now too. The meat isn't organic, but most is free range/grassfed super high quality restaurant stuff. All of it is made for human consumption and not enhanced.
http://www.carnivorecarryouttenn.com/ That's the link to the TN site. You can call Carol and talk to her about it too. She loves to talk raw and if you need a sponsor to join, ask if someone from the Michigan co-op would work and I could help you out. We pay I think $30 a year for membership and order when needed. I rarely spend over $1/lb.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
NewlyDutched
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Amira, human of Serafina (angel of destruction) Mal/GS and just welcomed home Bruno my first Dutchie!

Post by NewlyDutched »

The chickens I got weren't organic but they were on sale for 99 cents a pound then the ones I got were marked down further as they needed to be frozen.

I can get whole pork shoulders for under a dollar a pound. Kind of a pain to butcher it into chunks as it is skin on and bone in but it's . Beef heart is the only beef that I've found for under a dollar a pound.

There is also a local state college that has a meat program. I'm going to see if they have any bits for cheap.
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

And week 3. Right out of the bath tub

He's gained just over 5 pounds. Still needs 10 more to be a lean fit dog.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

my, thats a big tongue you have !!!! Looking good, remember, slow to get the weight on.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

I know! It's just so hard to not throw meat at him constantly. Right now he is getting 3-4 pounds of food a day broken into 3 meals. Chicken leg quarter in the morning, satin balls patty for lunch, and red meat for dinner, currently pork shoulder.
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

5-1/2 weeks, still mistaken for a greyhound now and then :/

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

oh my !! THis photo in the sun really shows how skinny he is. He looks happy though.
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Yeah. When I brought him home, even at this distance, you could see every individual vertebrae and his hips poked a good 4-6 inches up. His backbone is covered with muscle now and the hips while still boney are becoming less and less pronounced.

One thing I noticed is that when I brought him home his skin was stretched REALLY tight. I've never had such an underweight dog before, I thought it was just him. But now that he is gaining, his skin is much looser and more elastic.

It was super unpleasant to pet him! Greasy, dandruffy coat stretched tight over a bag of bones. While I don't think he will ever have the soft pelt that Sera does, he is getting way more tactilely pleasing which is good because he's a total loverboy.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

give him coconut oil. It will help his coat alot !!!!! Thalie always had a shine but never super soft, after I started giving her coconut oil her coat is so soft now.
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by Raven »

She does give him coconut oil--or she was.

He's been tested for parasites, worms, etc., yes?

Keep up the good work in getting him healthy! Takes a long time, especially if they were malnourished (not simply underfed).
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks Raven, I didnt remember if she did or not.
ImageImage
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

He gets both coconut and salmon oil.

He had a ton of parasites when they picked him up. He's been dewormed several times and is negative now.

He's tolerated all the raw food so far, I'm hoping to introduce beef heart next week. That should help Him put on weight.
NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

All of a sudden this last week he's started just looking skinny instead of emaciated!

I'll try and get a better pic tomorrow in the park.

The above picture was them watching me chop up 50 pounds of beef heart and pork shoulder for doggy dinners...

NewlyDutched
Puppy

Post by NewlyDutched »

Can still see ribs but all the other bones are covered up! He's starting to look less like a shadow.

Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Looking good! :wtg: :wtg:
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

He is so beautiful !!!!
ImageImage