My 7 month old pup training question for ralbucks

Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

My 7 month old pup training question for ralbucks

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: My 7 month old pup training question for ralbucks

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ralbucks wrote:Hello, someone said in a recent post that Florida rescues are overrun with DS and Malinois, I wonder why that is.
a guess would be, people think they can make a quick buck but then realize they are too much to handle and dump them.
ralbucks wrote: Training is mostly stopping (as opposed to going). He pretty much does what he wants and it seems all the training I did in the first few months has disappeared.
you need to train every day at all times or you will have a big problem on your hands.
ralbucks wrote: On the web it says puppies at his age
what web page
ralbucks wrote: - 7 months suffer a period of not listening at all. It is happening for him. On top of that he bit his tongue while playing ( his cute tongue hanging out and all).
dont listen to that and you better get into the alpha position and commit to consistent training all of the time.

If he is not listening, put him on a leash so when he disobeys you can correct him immediately. dont let him get away with ANYTHING ! These are not little play dogs that can be cute when they do what they want. They will take over and destroy.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Yes, after this post I will post from now on the training thread. Just a quick response to dutchringgirl. Thank you for the training tip. How can I say this? Let's say he wants to play. He comes with a toy in his mouth and nudges me. If I don't play with him right then he starts trying to take my hand, I say "ouch" , he drops my hand brings the toy back (or I put the toy back in his mouth) and he nudges me again. Let's say he sees I am preparing his food, he knows it is his bowl, he sits and does "down" before I can even say the command. How can I tell him what to do ( like "look") when in his mind he thinks he already has fulfilled the necessary requirements to get the food. It's like "I"m doing the command, now let me have my food faster". And he drools if I keep him to wait for food for more than 1 minute. I don't expect to have him do any serious work personal protection etc, I would like for him to keep his independent behavior, but with some tweaks (meaning that he needs to know some commands and know them so well that when I say them once he does them). Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.
ImageImage
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ralbucks wrote:Yes, after this post I will post from now on the training thread. Just a quick response to dutchringgirl. Thank you for the training tip. How can I say this? Let's say he wants to play. He comes with a toy in his mouth and nudges me. If I don't play with him right then he starts trying to take my hand, I say "ouch" , he drops my hand brings the toy back (or I put the toy back in his mouth) and he nudges me again.
ignore him and do not look at him. If he grabs your hand but dosnt hurt it, i would still ignore it, move your hand away so he cant get it. Ignore him and he will get the hint. It may take a bit at first since you have been giving in to him. Dont put the toy back into his mouth, just ignore. If he gets too pushy, get up and go to another room if you can.
ralbucks wrote: Let's say he sees I am preparing his food, he knows it is his bowl, he sits and does "down" before I can even say the command. How can I tell him what to do ( like "look") when in his mind he thinks he already has fulfilled the necessary requirements to get the food. It's like "I"m doing the command, now let me have my food faster". And he drools if I keep him to wait for food for more than 1 minute.
the drooling you cant help, mine drool too, not as bad as a basset !!! Its good that he knows he has to sit, thats fine, Sadie knows she must sit before she gets anything. Hold the bowl until he does look at you, then put the bowl down and keep his gaze. Put the bowl down while holding his gaze and release him when you want. Make it short first then hold longer and longer. He can learn the next step, that sitting is good, now he has to "look".
ralbucks wrote: I don't expect to have him do any serious work personal protection etc, I would like for him to keep his independent behavior, but with some tweaks (meaning that he needs to know some commands and know them so well that when I say them once he does them). Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.
What independent behavior do you want him to keep?
ImageImage
ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

Post by ralbucks »

Hello, DS seem to be quite intelligent and independent based on what everybody says about them on the forum. I would like my puppy to keep that independence ( or problem solving capacity) and instinct to know how to get out of trouble. Let's say he gets underneath the couch ( with my supervision), it is tight and dark, so that is why he likes it there and hides his toys underneath it. But he is getting bigger and as I said it's somewhat tight and it takes him time to crawl out. So initially I had to help him get out. But now instead of starting to whine, he actually found a way to get out by himself ( I guess the space underneath the couch is bigger in some parts). I would not want to decrease that quality to problem solve in case of that I guess comes with the breed naturally. And of course I do not want him not to be an obedient dog, either.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

It sounds like from your earlier post he is simply anticipating, which is good and bad. He clearly understands what he needs to do in order to get the food, however he is throwing everything that has once gotten him food to see if it works in this situation. If you have not given a command, you simply ignore. Before giving him the food I would ask for something simple to make sure he doesn't think "sitting twice, laying down, then sitting gets me the food". Now this is also a prime time to work on long stays. You can simply put him in a down and reward with food. But ignoring behavior you don't want is what you need to do. If he is sitting then downing when you say sit, mark it with no and ask for a sit again. Build up the time it takes to receive the reward and he only gets the reward when he does it correctly.

As far as drooling, that's Pavlovian and uncontrollable. We all salivate when we see something we want.

Unlike most dogs, DS will remain independent and problem solvers unless you are using methodologies that punish them for being so. An example would be a dog that is punished for always straying from its owner's side, or for offering a behavior, or for trying to do something without being asked. It is true as they grow older they may become more "velcro" dogs, but in a way they will remain independent. H loves being around me and with me, but he'll still wander off to go get something or go find someone more interesting, and he'll problem solve things like "how to open the trash so I can get that last scrap a cheese" or something. These dogs aren't the type to get themselves stuck and not try to figure out a way out, unless they physically can't. Same goes for if they really want something - they'll figure out a way to get it.

As for the DS in Florida, wherever there are BYBers and a buck to be made, you'll see them popping up. I see a lot through TX, CA, and FL always popping up due to the sheer amount of money to be made for a nice looking dog in those areas.
And of course I do not want him not to be an obedient dog, either.
This concerns me - what do you mean by this statement? I'm assuming you mean remaining independent to a degree and not literally non-obedient in terms of obedience and listening to you when you give a command. Keep in mind as he ages and drives and temperament comes out, obedience (basically structure and rules) is how you remain in control of these dogs. They need to have structure, leadership, and mental exercise to thrive. If not they become destructive and dangerous.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
ralbucks
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: new puppy owner

Post by ralbucks »

Yes, I do I want him to be obedient ( my "double negative" phrase from above can be confusing). Thanks.
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

Hah! See, this is why tired dyslexics like myself should know better and re-read! Sorry! I can only blame my brindled beast for waking me up way earlier than normal for the past week.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)