K9 Product Series - Crates, Kennels, and Pens

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

K9 Product Series - Crates, Kennels, and Pens

Post by centrop67 »

The idea is to have a broader understanding of the equipment, its use, origin, and ups and downs. From time to time (I can't commit to a set schedule.), I will post an item and ask for comments.

Specifically, I am looking to answer these questions from the members of the forum:
What is it?
Where'd it come from?
Have you used it?
When's the best time, or what situations would you use it?
What are the positives?
What are the negatives?
Where's the best place to get it?

For this thread I am asking for information on crates, kennels, and pens.

from DenHaus
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: K9 Product Series - Crates, Kennels, and Pens

Post by centrop67 »

Radar has a hand-me-down wire frame crate from my old lab, so he's the second user.

I believe the standard wisdom on sizing is that it should be large enough for the dog to turn around comfortably.

If you have an extra large crate for a puppy, it's best to place a divider, otherwise they might consider it okay to go in one area of the kennel.

I've seen other members post about pens that are used indoors, but Radar (and definitely Leela) would have no problem leaping over the ones I've seen.
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
k9lexi
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Over the past 25 years I shared my life with a Rott, two Akitas, and a Shepherd/Husky mix. I now have my first Dutch Shepherd. Lexi was born in early September 2014. She is great in so many different ways but I could use advice from some been there done that DS owners.

Post by k9lexi »

That is funny Michael. I thought that was your crate with one of your dogs. ... until I clicked the link to Des Haus and saw it was telling advertisement dog. No wonder I LOVED thecrate, check out the price. ;) lexi and Anna are both in crates given to me by friend and relative. Each used for at least two of my dogs each.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

The price on the DenHaus crate is nothing.

There's a crash-tested crate called a Variocage that costs around $1000.00.

Which brings up the question: Does everyone transport by vehicle in a crate?

I use a divider gate that separates the back of my SUV from the passenger area.
Michael
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

My girls are free in the car. Thalie is always ALWAYS shotgun and sadie is stuck in the back between the kids :eek:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
MultiPurposeK9
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Multipurpose trainer

Post by MultiPurposeK9 »

I use an X Large Vari-Kennel at home and a Trans K9 B 17 with air flow in the SUV. I know a lot of dogs are allowed to be free riding in cars and that is just not safe for you or the dog. At the least a barrier or divider needs to be in place. Sunroof? About two years ago a Chesapeake Bay Retriever riding free was ejected through an open sunroof in northern California or Nevada, from a Navigator in a head on collision.
Roger
Consistency + Repetition = Predictability
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

You got two hours of time? Lol.

Let's start with the 2 most common needs for a crate (as need should determine which crate you need): home and car.

Home:
Plastic - Varikennels are better than the numerous other brands. Cheaper, most can be flown with, light, and commonly available. Can be chewed through.
Wire - Midwest still makes the best wire crate. Easy to eat through, breaks teeth, but max ventilation and sometimes cheaper than a plastic crate. Good for dogs who may need to see everything to chill out. Collapsable.
Metal - heavy duty. Escape proof. Best for escape artists or dogs who can harm themselves breaking out of crates due to anxiety.
Fabric - Not for a DS unless you want a chewed kennel... can be used for a dog who respects its crate at shows or competitions. If the dog gets riled up probably best avoiding this one... although I do hear it can be good for puppies for a short amount of time.
Wood/Custom built - Looks better and you can sometimes build them into a kitchen or under a stair well. Nothing bad to say about them. Super nice.

Car:
Plastic - Rough Tuff Kennels, Gunner kennels, Kennelbec, along with some companies who will custom make you heavy plastic crates. Your Varikennels can also be used for this. Rough Tuff, Gunner, and Kennelbec are all heavy plastic and generally safer than a Varikennel, with Gunner being the most safe of them all.
Metal - Impact crates, Zinger, Transk9, Variocage, and custom metal crates. Generally safer than a plastic crate because they do not let the dog escape (as in they can't fly against the door and pop it open like in plastic). Some are safety tested. Some are not. Variocage is the safest out of all of these because of it's design - it will crumple with the back of your car to protect the dog. I believe Transk9 has a similar design. Impact crates makes stand along and collapsable versions.
Wire - you should not be driving with a wire crate in your car as these are the most unsafe.
Harness/seatbelt - Sleepypod is the only crash tested and dependable harness that actually works as far as I'm aware. Others break or allow whiplash and possible death.

Beyond this it is handler preference, sizing, need, cost, and durability that dictate which crate is better for one person to the other.

I personally have a Variocage for H in the car and a Midwest wire crate with peg board ziptied to certain areas because DERP (the story behind this is really funny). I have owned varikennels, collapsable Impact crates, and other off brands. I really liked the collapsable Impact crate until it collapsed on H and almost took a paw off. All of them withstood Sir Chews-a-lot and my favorite by far are the metal crates.
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
F10irsh27
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Interested in becoming an owner of a Dutch shepherd

Post by F10irsh27 »

I've completely given up on the vari kennel style of dog crate. My 5 month old refuses to be contained by one even with 4 bungee cords securing the door. I ordered a Gunner Kennel yesterday and am hoping it lives up to the price and they hype. The price was a hard pill to swallow but will hopefully end up being cheaper in the long run than having the pup have her way with the house. I'll post a review here once i recieve it.
Shaun and pup Granby - Long Island
Dree_19
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Sporting a 3 pack on New England's coast.

Post by Dree_19 »

I'm new here but not new to working dogs or their crating/containment needs. Was here last week looking for expen reviews. Two comments/reviews from me...

EXPENS: A must for raising a pup to be well behaved in the house. I tried the midwest expen with my last pup-had to return, just not functional inside on my wood floors. He would literally push it around the room with his nose. I just found an awesome one at Tractor Supply. Its called The Pet Gazebo and I got the 4x4 size (multiple sizes available). I don't use it as a crate replacement, just supervised quiet time in a larger area to keep pup from underfoot. This pen has rubber bottom feet and a removable frame top for extra support and to hold the shade tarp. My guy has already learned not to jump up on the sides, but if he did it would be sturdy enough not to push. I believe it was about 120 with shopping.

Next is crates. I have about 6 crates in total (my pack was 3 now 2) various sizes and brands. For my jeep I have the Gunner Kennel. Indestructible and escape/chew proof. Worth every penny. For my other vehicles and night crating the vari type kennel works. My late GSD learned to escape it so he transitioned to the Gunner when we didn't use it in the Jeep for night sleeping. I don't like the wire crates for my large breeds or heavy shedders. Use one on occasion for my pom mix.
"West" (Vrijheid's Xtreme DOB 4/9/17)
"Easton" (DDR GSD DOB 5/18/17)
"Chase" (Yorkanian?)
RIP Rocco & Lia GSD
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Just an FYI that Ray Allen is having a 15% off sale on Variocages. Use code: 4X4MIM.

Link
Michael