What's this handler doing?

KNPV, Schutzhund, Ring, PSA, etc - General Discussion
Forum rules
Use this forum for general discussion of Protection Sports. Please use the sub-forums for specific issues in the various phases.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

What's this handler doing?

Post by TimL_168 »

So, a friend of mine sent me this video from Twitter. He asked me if the handler was prying the dog's jaws open at the end of the video. I really can't tell. I didn't hear any "out" called out, so I'm thinking maybe the officer is shackling the dude. It seems like a lot of the videos I've seen on TV of police K9s getting a bite end up with the handler choking the dog for an out. Curious if anyone thinks that's just to be expected at that level of real world stress. https://mobile.twitter.com/Pamela_Moore ... 9060347904
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Re: What's this handler doing?

Post by Patrick »

Police dogs are notorious for not outing. Happens all the time.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

the drive of police dogs is crazy high, even when I was doing Ring, we had to use the ecollar plenty when the dogs were so pumped they did not want to out. The guy was tormenting the dog to no end either. I did hear the cop say out but only a few times and he did not really work at outing the dog, I think he wanted the dog to hold this guy for a while. I have no idea what he was using to pry the dogs mouth open though, but it is probably safer than sticking your hand in there and having the dog re bite.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

That's kinda what I figured. I had just never seen anyone pre-equipped with a specific tool for the job. That's why I wondered if he was just fumbling with some type of restraint. But it makes perfect sense.
Man, I wish I had the time and money for IPO or FR. I really think En would have some potential there.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I really miss FR, its tough on the dog though, I did not go above RII because of what is involved in training.
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

He's using a break stick to out the dog off the guys PANTS... that's a really shity gripping dog, dog took the pants and didn't even try and regrip that guy could have beat the hell out of that dog... that's embarrassing
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

ha,yeah even Thalie re gripped. I dont think that handler was very good, he hardly tried to out the dog before prying his mouth open
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Dutchringgirl wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:26 pm ha,yeah even Thalie re gripped. I dont think that handler was very good, he hardly tried to out the dog before prying his mouth open
Yeah it was ugly to watch
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

How difficult is it to train for an adjustment? Is it more hereditary? En grips very well and RAPIDLY adjusts when excited but she'll get lazy when she's not in gear. She doesn't chew, either.
I had never heard of a break stick.
https://www.amazon.com/The-K-9-Center-B ... B004RU81VY
Well, would ya look at that. Nineteen bucks for a stick.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

its genetic for the most part but can be taught with good fondation... to me that dog looked like it didn't want to be in that fight... look at how he's holding the pants and jerking back.. a good dog regrips in to the bite and pushes for a deeper grip... if he would have hit that dog it would have pissed itself... it's sad to see
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog

TimL_168 wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 2:14 am How difficult is it to train for an adjustment? Is it more hereditary? En grips very well and RAPIDLY adjusts when excited but she'll get lazy when she's not in gear. She doesn't chew, either.
I had never heard of a break stick.
https://www.amazon.com/The-K-9-Center-B ... B004RU81VY
Well, would ya look at that. Nineteen bucks for a stick.
Haha the place that sells those is literally around the corner from me
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I have always seen dogs go for the better grip, even Sadie who has had no formal bite training regrips all of the time during play. It was a bad example of ..............well..............everything
ImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

What took so long for these guys to take action?

He threatened a couple of officers, threatened the dog, threatened some more officers and then the dog grabs the pants.

Were these real LEOs, or some kind of security staff? I don't think there's anything remotely professional portrayed in that video.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I though that too, but I know they don't want the dogs to bite just for the sake of biting. It was really a poor display
ImageImage
Patrick
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: I live in central Florida and appreciate and enjoy working dogs!

Post by Patrick »

Some cops are too lazy to train their dogs. I'm not saying ALL, I'm saying SOME. I have the highest respect for MOST of our nation's law enforcement officers.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Patrick wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 3:30 am Some cops are too lazy to train their dogs. I'm not saying ALL, I'm saying SOME. I have the highest respect for MOST of our nation's law enforcement officers.
I don't know if its lazy or just has not had good training. We really do not know the whole circumstance, we only saw part of it. I have been around police training of K9 and the police are trained as well. They may not be competent on the street but we really don't know the whole story of what was going on there.
ImageImage
racingiron1
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.

Post by racingiron1 »

I agree that we shouldn't be making judgements based on a small video clip. This is outside the US (different rules of engagement, different laws, etc.). While it looks like the guy is flagrantly engaging the cops, we don't know what led up to this. Do the officers have a history with him (maybe they know he's not really dangerous, just mentally unstable, or prone to drug use?). Maybe the dog is trained to perform a takedown without injury?
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Okay - it's fair to consider a different approach and training, but it does seem dangerous to all involved.

Did anyone see the comments? Everything from immigrant bashing, muslim hate, and drug wars. I guess those aren't issues that just happen here in the U.S.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

nah, i didnt read the comments. they arent worth it, like much of social media, they are going to spew toxic crap.
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 pm nah, i didnt read the comments. they arent worth it, like much of social media, they are going to spew toxic crap.
Ironically, I considered including a political disclaimer in the original post. I was just curious about the lackluster OUT. I do, however, wonder if the dog was trained to go for clothing as opposed to the meat.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor