First time DS owner to be in Toronto, Canada!

For our new members to introduce themselves
ellydee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Living in Mississauga, ON right next to Toronto. Will be picking up my dutchie the first week of July!

First time DS owner to be in Toronto, Canada!

Post by ellydee »

Hey guys!

I will be picking up my DS male at 8 weeks old the first week of July. I'm super excited, but this will be my first time owning this breed. We just lost our Siberian Husky a month ago, and we finally made the move to get a new pup. I've done tons of research and we are being matched with the best puppy for what we want.

Is there anyone else in here from Canada, more specifically Ontario that would be up for meet ups or even have any info on good places to get started with agility, tracking etc when the time comes?

Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Re: First time DS owner to be in Toronto, Canada!

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

This really isn't a meetup type breed! I'd suggest finding a training club
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome ! What was your reasoning for getting this breed? They are not social breeds to take to a meetup group at the local dog park. I would suggest a trainer who is familiar with this breed and start asap with basics.

what is your plan for the day time with the pup?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ellydee
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Living in Mississauga, ON right next to Toronto. Will be picking up my dutchie the first week of July!

Post by ellydee »

The reason for getting this breed is to pretty much take with us wherever we go, hikes, bike rides, jogs, also for protection. I know he will need to be mentally stimulated as well and I plan on doing that on a daily basis with various types of training and games.

I have found a trainer that is in line with what I want him to learn, as well as methods used to achieve this. I plan on getting him into agility and tracking like I said, as well as bite work and what not.

Mainly we wanted a dog for protection, but more so a dog that could keep up with our high level of activity and be willing to learn and want to work. We aren't fans of dog parks, Imo there are too many dogs (ahem..owners) with bad manners and I know this breed is not meant for that type of stuff.

Husband works from home most of the time, he will end up being his "main" so to speak by default.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

you sound like you are on the right track !!! Good !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Steve Gossmeyer
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Schutzhund helper and trainer I own and work two Dutchies

Post by Steve Gossmeyer »

Find a schutzhund club!!
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Post by Joxgirl »

Welcome. I am new here too. There are many smart people here who have shared lots of information with me. Best of luck to you.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG