Puzzle bowls

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Puzzle bowls

Post by Joxgirl »

Have any of you tried these types of bowls just for something fun for your DS? I see Kong makes them as well as other companies. Any thoughts?
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Puzzle bowls

Post by centrop67 »

I got one for Radar, and he figured it out immediately on the 1st try.

On the second try, he took a shortcut and practically destroyed it.

Bottom line is that quality matters, and that they may not be "puzzling" enough for this breed.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I use a Kong Wobbler for En. She loves it. Works great. I also have a...I forget what it's called. It's a food dish that looks like a cat's toy. It shows her down. She's never tried to destroy either one.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

centrop67 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:02 pm I got one for Radar, and he figured it out immediately on the 1st try.

On the second try, he took a shortcut and practically destroyed it.

Bottom line is that quality matters, and that they may not be "puzzling" enough for this breed.
Smart boy. We think it would be perfect then for our Lab. I will look for a tricky one for the DS.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

TimL_168 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 pm I use a Kong Wobbler for En. She loves it. Works great. I also have a...I forget what it's called. It's a food dish that looks like a cat's toy. It shows her down. She's never tried to destroy either one.
This is good to hear. I bought the wobbler. What age do you think it's good to start using it? I will use my imagination as I look for puzzle bowls and one that could be a cats toy. Thank you.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I tried a slow feeder bowl for saide, she just flips it over and food goes everywhere LOL Mine figure out the puzzles quick then get bored and that's it, then they shred it
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:39 pm I tried a slow feeder bowl for saide, she just flips it over and food goes everywhere LOL Mine figure out the puzzles quick then get bored and that's it, then they shred it
BWAHAHAHAA!!!! :DScool: problem solved
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

I will add that I too used the Kong wobbler for Radar to slow down his eating when I first got him. It was both successful and extremely messy.

He would literally wobble it EVERYWHERE in the house sending the kibble shooting out across all corners of the rooms of my house.

I think we're still finding kibble in hidden places from that experience.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

Michael- I've been using it for about a year. I have the same experience. Sometimes she hits it so hard that food goes flying 8 feet or so underneath of closed bedroom doors.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Joxgirl
Working Dog

Post by Joxgirl »

Dutchringgirl wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:39 pm I tried a slow feeder bowl for saide, she just flips it over and food goes everywhere LOL Mine figure out the puzzles quick then get bored and that's it, then they shred it
Hahaha. Cleaver dog.
Saralee
Joachimstaler @ IG
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Joxgirl wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 pm

Hahaha. Cleaver dog.

Clever..............well, on most days
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage